This is America

Before I got married and had kids and was a lot younger, I spent almost three weeks in Mexico. Within a couple of days, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to adjust to the metric system. I'm not a smart guy by any means but if I could adjust in a few days, everyone can handle changing over. It needs to be like a band aid though. Years ago I read an article about changes this world needs but the only way this could happen is if the my parent's generation (baby-boomers) dies off and the new generation takes over (grandkids or great grandkids).

dude.gif

Reactions: SpiralGroove
Hello MartinT

Any chance you ever hear of a guy by the name of Leonardo Piero da Vinci? Oh I don’t suppose so, he didn’t do that Metric math. Oh yeah and there was this other fellow, Albert Einstein who also did a little bit of math. The surprising thing is that neither one of these gentlemen were drunk mathematician.

Have a wonderful day,
ThomasT

Reactions: darylm
The metric system is absolutely superior, so why continue to use something that is inferior when something superior exists? Just so we don’t have to learn something new? It wouldn’t even take very long to learn. It would make life easier and better. I wouldn’t need to buy two different units of tools, I could have a tool box that about half the size, I wouldn’t have to get out and put away two different sets of tools when working on a Chevy because some parts are Standard and some are correct. We and future children wouldn’t have to learn two different units of measurement. The problem that this post originally complained about would be fixed. There would be no need to do conversions because there would only be one unit.

On a side note there are apps, my favorite being Converter+ that will so conversions. I recommend downloading that app and then in the future you will not have to try to look that stuff up.

So yes I do think we should fall in line with the entire rest of the world in the use of the metric system. And an international language would be great, as long as it is a language I already know.:LOL:
Yep, USA must fall in line and be like the rest of the world. That will do it. Make sure you start with carpenters and make em build a house from 50x100’s and those 1219x 2438 OSB sheets. And oh yea built on 406 centers. Have fun with that. ThomasT got it figured out.

Reactions: darylm
Hello MartinT

Any chance you ever hear of a guy by the name of Leonardo Piero da Vinci? Oh I don’t suppose so, he didn’t do that Metric math. Oh yeah and there was this other fellow, Albert Einstein who also did a little bit of math. The surprising thing is that neither one of these gentlemen were drunk mathematician.

Have a wonderful day,
ThomasT
.....neither one of them were Americans either......

Reactions: qball
If one can’t remember that a mile is 5280’, an acre is 43560. (208’x208’) a gallon of water 231 cubic inches and weights 8.31 lbs and steel weight .284 lbs per cubic inch then make sure you keep that little crutch in your left hand because you probably don’t have the brains to get out of a shower of 2x4’s.

When building a geodesic dome I'd do it in metric, easier to use the formulas. Stanley made, makes a tape measure with metric on one side and inches on the other side. I don't mind the metric, in some applications it's easier to use. Get your head out of the sand the day is coming.
Haha, no……..no it isn’t.

Hello MartinT

Have a wonderful day,
ThomasT
Well, you do realize that Da Vinci didn't quite live long enough to work with the metric system?

I'm thinkin' Einstein, being Austrian by birth and having attended university at Swiss Federal Polytechnic School, probably embraced the same system of weights and measures as they used both in Austria and at SFPS... the metric system. I'm going with that unless you can produce some evidence to the contrary.