This is America

Thank you for confirming that it was Americans that went to the moon. And nobody else has. We somehow became the greatest, most prosperous nation on earth WITHOUT using the metric system. If the metric system is so great, how do you explain that?
moon landing totally made up BS.. never happened..:rolleyes: don't shoot the messenger.

Reactions: thumper
I think it is long past time to finally embrace the metric system.
Why? Will this make USA better? Will it help fend off China? Will this spur innovation? How will this change enrich the lives of American citizens? You are saying we should fall in line with, Europe, Asia, China? Please explain just how this embracement will make USA better?
Should we just form a "global" speaking language and also an abandon American English?

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and darylm
Why? Will this make USA better? Will it help fend off China? Will this spur innovation? How will this change enrich the lives of American citizens? You are saying we should fall in line with, Europe, Asia, China? Please explain just how this embracement will make USA better?
Should we just form a "global" speaking language and also an abandon American English?
The metric system is absolutely superior, so why continue to use something that is inferior when something superior exists? Just so we don’t have to learn something new? It wouldn’t even take very long to learn. It would make life easier and better. I wouldn’t need to buy two different units of tools, I could have a tool box that about half the size, I wouldn’t have to get out and put away two different sets of tools when working on a Chevy because some parts are Standard and some are correct. We and future children wouldn’t have to learn two different units of measurement. The problem that this post originally complained about would be fixed. There would be no need to do conversions because there would only be one unit.

On a side note there are apps, my favorite being Converter+ that will so conversions. I recommend downloading that app and then in the future you will not have to try to look that stuff up.

So yes I do think we should fall in line with the entire rest of the world in the use of the metric system. And an international language would be great, as long as it is a language I already know.:LOL:

Changing over to metric is the stupidest thing since “man” became bipedal. Standing up smart, having two measuring systems rather than one Standard system, stupid.

Metric system is the Computer Nerd’s choice, who lives in his mothers basement and only goes outside once a year, and that is to Comic-con.

The Nerd wants to change to metric so an oil refinery, say like Shell Oil in Houston, has to change hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles of piping, tens of thousand of flanged valves, gauges, instrumentation, etc., etc., etc., from a system that works PERFECT in AMERICA for almost 300 years, ...beyond stupid.

ThomasT

meanwhile-in-russia-im-eating-my-popcorn-too-6204070.png

:devilish:

Reactions: Smitty911
As I said before in this thread I live in Australia and we converted to metric many moons ago. I have never bought anything that was made in America until 11 years ago when I bought a big John Deere zero turn mower for the acreage around our house. To my surprise I was able to work on it with my tools as is was in metric. All John Deere mowers and tractors are imported from America and are in metric. I wonder how much that costs the company maintaining two systems or are the tractors and mowers sold in the American market also metric. Maybe someone could answer that If they know.
Gary

As I said before in this thread I live in Australia and we converted to metric many moons ago. I have never bought anything that was made in America until 11 years ago when I bought a big John Deere zero turn mower for the acreage around our house. To my surprise I was able to work on it with my tools as is was in metric. All John Deere mowers and tractors are imported from America and are in metric. I wonder how much that costs the company maintaining two systems or are the tractors and mowers sold in the American market also metric. Maybe someone could answer that If they know.
Gary
I can’t speak about John Deer, but have recently worked on a Chevy Trailblazer, I think it was around a 2008 Blazer, and everything that I did on it was metric. I didn’t do a whole lot but like I said what I did do was metric. So I infer from that, that US companies are going metric. Since we have chosen to not willingly covert to metric maybe over time it is going to be slowly decided for us. One thing that I do find funny… ratchets are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive. So metric sockets are standard drive. Don’t get me wrong, in this case I am glad they are, it would really suck to have to have different ratchets for each system, but it makes me think that even if all hardware changed to metric we would still have standard ratchets. What are the drive sizes in countries that are solely metric? Do you have standard drive ratchets?

I have only metric tools. I did have both once as the older vehicles I could afford back then were in imperial. Don’t have to worry about that now but I would imagine that car enthusiasts working on the old classic Holden’s and Ford’s would still carry both sets of tools.
Gary
I can’t speak about John Deer, but have recently worked on a Chevy Trailblazer, I think it was around a 2008 Blazer, and everything that I did on it was metric. I didn’t do a whole lot but like I said what I did do was metric. So I infer from that, that US companies are going metric. Since we have chosen to not willingly covert to metric maybe over time it is going to be slowly decided for us. One thing that I do find funny… ratchets are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive. So metric sockets are standard drive. Don’t get me wrong, in this case I am glad they are, it would really suck to have to have different ratchets for each system, but it makes me think that even if all hardware changed to metric we would still have standard ratchets. What are the drive sizes in countries that are solely metric? Do you have standard drive ratchets?

Amen!!! America needs to eventually get out of dark colonial age and join rest of the world to modern day math. Who da F*&$ can do any the dumb a$$ conversations in SAE system? We are making our kids dumbest in the world by making it impossible to do simple math with ridiculous conversation! how many Oz is in a ton? How many inches in a mile? How many MOA is a 6 foot tall person at a mile????

Why was the complicated multi conversation came to be to begin with? So the rich/powerful can scam the poor/illiterate peasants who can't do conversion! Does any one still remember the conversion rates for British money before then went to 10 to 1? NONE of the conversion BS got there by accident!!!
What’s making our children dumb isn’t the imperial measurements system that’s antiquated, it’s all the PC garbage taught in schools. Reading, writing and arithmetic are the basics, and if you’re not sure if you’re a boy... content removed.

Last edited by a moderator: