This is America

Danes was pretty inept in the old days ( too ) , even had to get a French guy up here to tell us how to make proper roads.

Something like a bridge, well we did not get that, we would make a narrow winding dirt road go miles on detour to get around a bog area or something like that.
The French guy taught us to make roads wide, with a good solid surface and not just dirt, and then if your road run into something, you deal with that instead of letting it decide where your road go.

ATM we have just started to build the worlds longest submerged tunnel to Germany,,,,, even if it is a country we are landlocked to.
But it seem the idiots living in the capitol / capitol area, can not figure out to get on the E20 motorway, go strait west, and then when they hit Jutland turn Left and go strait south on the E45 motorway.

And of course as always, this mega project will go way over time, and WAYYYYY over budget.
If Danes was Building the Hoover dam,,,,, that sucker today still would not be done, and there would be no NASA as the dam would eat all the money.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
You know Germans invented rocket engines, started the missiles and rocket program and subsequent space programs.

Yes, American astronauts physically went to the moon but the technologies and many engineers put them them there originated from Germany during WW2. BOTH American and Russian rocket and space programs started with all the German rocket engineers rounded up as US and Russians went through Germany. All of the German scientists became American so you are right they were Americans by the time Apollo started. Obviously many American engineers later learned from the German turned American scientists and developed further.

Regardless that doesn’t change the fact nothing in the space program or any scientific programs was done in SAE. I happened to intern at Rockwell international during high school, friends with few with work title literally says rocket scientist and shot with a guy who worked on all the engines on all the space shuttles today. If I ask him if he did any of his engineering work in SAE he will fall over laughing.

Edit: you guys realize the SAE system is called imperial system right? Many Americans died to kick out British imperialist in 1776, real Americans would say F$&@ you to anything imperial! LOL!!!
Thank you for confirming that it was Americans that went to the moon. And nobody else has. We somehow became the greatest, most prosperous nation on earth WITHOUT using the metric system. If the metric system is so great, how do you explain that?

• Love
Reactions: Fate and ThomasT
Thank you for confirming that it was Americans that went to the moon. And nobody else has. We somehow became the greatest, most prosperous nation on earth WITHOUT using the metric system. If the metric system is so great, how do you explain that?

We didn’t somehow became most prosperous nation by accident or WITHOUT metric. We became most prosperous because we have most military might which in most part by attracting most technically talented people on earth whom all use metric to do math on any sort of scientific development. To the average people everything seems to be in SAE because the end consumer products are converted back to SAE standards once the meth is done but converting back to SAE with computer is rather trivial once the hard work is done.

Again, best military in the world didn’t become Best by following ridiculous SAE system and intentionally give ourselves major disadvantage. Think current famous M777 artillery system is in inches? I think not, at least 155mm isn’t SAE nor is the abram’s 120mm main gun last time I checked, they were all developed decades ago. Nor is any current snipers’ rife scope in MOA because they supposed to learn how to range, do basics ballistic calculation without any computer aid as backup.

Let me reiterate that NONE of the scientific development which made America great has ever nor will ever be done in SAE system! I happen to know a lot of people who made America great in space programs and programs that cannot even be disclosed, they all will fall over laughing at the mere mention of SAE standard. I work in computer industry and SAE is a mere end product for people who refuse to do change, at least computers made it easy but certain NOTHING in computers will ever be SAE anything. Granted computers do math in binary which isn’t at all friendly to humans but that’s a different conversation.

We didn’t somehow became most prosperous nation by accident or WITHOUT metric. We became most prosperous because we have most military might which in most part by attracting most technically talented people on earth whom all use metric to do math on any sort of scientific development. To the average people everything seems to be in SAE because the end consumer products are converted back to SAE standards once the meth is done but converting back to SAE with computer is rather trivial once the hard work is done.

Again, best military in the world didn’t become Best by following ridiculous SAE system and intentionally give ourselves major disadvantage. Think current famous M777 artillery system is in inches? I think not, at least 155mm isn’t SAE nor is the abram’s 120mm main gun last time I checked, they were all developed decades ago. Nor is any current snipers’ rife scope in MOA because they supposed to learn how to range, do basics ballistic calculation without any computer aid as backup.

Let me reiterate that NONE of the scientific development which made America great has ever nor will ever be done in SAE system! I happen to know a lot of people who made America great in space programs and programs that cannot even be disclosed, they all will fall over laughing at the mere mention of SAE standard. I work in computer industry and SAE is a mere end product for people who refuse to do change, at least computers made it easy but certain NOTHING in computers will ever be SAE anything. Granted computers do math in binary which isn’t at all friendly to humans but that’s a different conversation.
Hello qball,

I am a retired design engineer and did the majority of my 40+years work in the marine industry and I can assure you that I never used metric.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

I've worked on everything that runs, some stuff that flies, and build big flying bombs for a living. If you can't use and interpret SAE and metric, you're at a severe disadvantage and can't do your job at about anything. Your stubbornness to either one won't get you anywhere.

I drive by the building that Wernher Von Braun's office was in on my way to work every day. I bet he had sense enough to not convert the MPH speed limit to KPH on his way to work. And you can bet your ass he knew both systems well.

But then again if you have time to be that butthurt about it, you're probably retired and bored and don't have anything better to do anyway than argue about it. 🙂

If whatever you're dealing with was designed with metric measurements, and you go converting and measuring everything to SAE, it's a much bigger pain in the ass than just using metric to begin with. Been there and done that, and still do it everyday.

Hello qball,

I am a retired design engineer and did the majority of my 40+years work in the marine industry and I can assure you that I never used metric.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

You either have amazing math skills or used a computer which can do math better than humans ever can hope to but the inner workings of all computers are NOT SAE(nor metric for that matter) however ALL programs will convert SAE numbers into metric for calculation because ALL scientific formulas are easier in metric, then out put SAE results. If you used SAE with slide rule/manual calculations to do complex math like calculating volumes and/or surface areas of complex shapes then you have my up most respect.

You either have amazing math skills or used a computer which can do math better than humans ever can hope to but the inner workings of all computers are NOT SAE(nor metric for that matter) however most if not ALL programs will convert SAE numbers into metric for calculation because ALL scientific formulas are in metric, then out put SAE results. If you used SAE with slide rule/manual calculations to do complex math like calculating volumes and/or surface areas of complex shapes then you have my up most respect.
Hello again qball,

When I first started designing ships we did all of our layouts on a wood floor ( loft ) all math was done by hand and recorded on the old "yellow legal pads" :). It is hard even for me to remember back to the "good ole days". Before I retired I had computer software that did about 90% of the work....way too easy. When we would complete a 100 foot long vessel and it was given a Marine Survey, it would be within 3/16 of an inch from stem to stern.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Reactions: qball
Hello again qball,

When I first started designing ships we did all of our layouts on a wood floor ( loft ) all math was done by hand and recorded on the old "yellow legal pads" :). It is hard even for me to remember back to the "good ole days". Before I retired I had computer software that did about 90% of the work....way too easy. When we would complete a 100 foot long vessel and it was given a Marine Survey, it would be within 3/16 of an inch from stem to stern.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Simple match that add, subtract or simple multiplications are difficult but doable. Then add slightly advanced match such as sine, cosine things get mess and then add more advanced math such as differentials and derivatives then things get really impossible. Would love to see anyone use SAE system calculate(forget manual) the fluid dynamic force models on a given/optimize ship hull shape to determine size and shape of propeller(s) and subsequent power plant and fuel cost projection at desired cruising speed.

Before computers was invented our space programs engineers used slide rules to calculate everything including aero dynamic forces, orbital/flight path, reentry angle, acceleration/speed of the vehicle at any given time during the flight, thrust to weight ratio...........all of which require VERY COMPLEX formulas. I called it a quits after calculous hence why I didn't become any where near a space engineer, anything after algebra non-10 based calculation is impossible for humans......ok, impossible for me at least.

Would love to see someone do math on something as "simple" as mathematics for front of a bullet/ogive detailed here:

To even get volume of a basic straight cylinder:
V = π R2 L
Guess that's kinda doable with 3/16 of an inch of radius

As soon as you move away from a straight line:

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 10.25.23 AM.png

And this is entry level math before intermediate math functions such as differential and derivatives.

Last edited:
Simple match that add, subtract or simple multiplications are difficult but doable. Then add slightly advanced match such as sine, cosine things get mess and then add more advanced math such as differentials and derivatives then things get really impossible. Would love to see anyone use SAE system calculate(forget manual) the fluid dynamic force models on a given/optimize ship hull shape to determine size and shape of propeller(s) and subsequent power plant and fuel cost projection at desired cruising speed.

Before computers was invented our space programs engineers used slide rules to calculate everything including aero dynamic forces, orbital/flight path, reentry angle, acceleration/speed of the vehicle at any given time during the flight, thrust to weight ratio...........all of which require VERY COMPLEX formulas. I called it a quits after calculous hence why I didn't become any where near a space engineer, anything after algebra non-10 based calculation is impossible for humans......ok, impossible for me at least.

Would love to see someone do math on something as "simple" as mathematics for front of a bullet/ogive detailed here:

Here is an example: A=2q∞⨜ds {∫Cpl r sinθ dβ+∫Cpu r sinθ dβ}
Where can I plug in 3/16 of an inch?
Oh simply convert .1875 to a Radian
ThomasT

Reactions: qball
Oh simply convert .1875 to a Radian
ThomasT

AKA converted to 10 based math like metric system? Why convert at all? Why not use the numbers/measurements as it is like metric system or why not use measurements and conversions that matches how math is done?

To each their own but I’m too lazy and stupid to do multiple non-10 based conversions, math is challenging enough for me already. 😅

Last edited:
Personally, I think the metric system is used sparingly by most Americans and only when necessary.
Completely agree. If you travel outside the U.S. and most likely have a smart phone you will have an app to convert ANYTHING in a moment and quickly be educated to an equivalent you understand.
Back in 1977 or 1978 I worked for Caterpillar Tractor. In one day (24 hrs) our entire plant switched from inch system to metric because Caterpillar was a international supplier and they felt it would be smarter to be metric across the board. So in a 24 hr period, each department went to our tool crib and exchanged every tool we had for metric, everything. Beforehand in preparation, all drawings were in both inch and metric so the switch did not require associates to convert inch to metric, to avoid errors. Eventually all drawings were metric only. Easy peasy.
The company I just retired from doesn’t really have interest in switching but has products in both inch and metric depending on the customer. And we were a worldwide supplier for our product.
When I took a CNC course many years ago, the instructor was pro metric, on the final exam if we wrote “I love metric” he would give 5 extra points to your test score.