This is America

Honestly people you must be living in the USA because the only thing you have to bi$tch about is what system of measurement should be used. Life is pretty damn good when your biggest worry is whether or not to buy a yard stick or a meter stick.

I can not believe this thread has gone six pages and you folks have not yet simply agreed to let the other fellow use whatever measurement he wants. It is truly a symptom of these times when someone's "national identity" and "patriotism" is tied up in his ruler and he finds a need to shove that ruler down the other fellow's throat.

When it comes to the "metric system", well I use them both and don't have a problem.

Actually I think in terms of inches, ounces and pounds, etc. That's how I grew up and what I learned in school.

However, I have no problem using metric or converting one to the other. I also learned that in school.

It seems schools no longer teach people HOW to think with logic and reason, but WHAT to think. :rolleyes: :cry:

Yes, there is a difference.

It demonstrates the poor quality of our school system and lack of skills of the average teachers that work there...that they were unable to teach the metric system and make it stick. That failed attempt was back in the 80's. They haven't improved a lick since then either. @rcs9250 Never occured to me to blame the greatest President of my lifetime. Please inform me how he held the educators back?

We are all worse off for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty911
Hehe i could imagine, Sadly decades ago i was once such kind of person, what i call a parasite today, but i have never sold / seen / heard of ( locally ) a 8 Ball

Drug trade is the only reason any of our youth know ANYTHING about the metric system......
I grew up in the 1960s-1970s, and I never really knew how much marijuana was in a "lid". I still don't.

Last edited:
The metric system is absolutely superior, so why continue to use something that is inferior when something superior exists? Just so we don’t have to learn something new? It wouldn’t even take very long to learn. It would make life easier and better. I wouldn’t need to buy two different units of tools, I could have a tool box that about half the size, I wouldn’t have to get out and put away two different sets of tools when working on a Chevy because some parts are Standard and some are correct. We and future children wouldn’t have to learn two different units of measurement. The problem that this post originally complained about would be fixed. There would be no need to do conversions because there would only be one unit.

On a side note there are apps, my favorite being Converter+ that will so conversions. I recommend downloading that app and then in the future you will not have to try to look that stuff up.

So yes I do think we should fall in line with the entire rest of the world in the use of the metric system. And an international language would be great, as long as it is a language I already know.:LOL:
Redtick12, switching to metric won't make old Chevy's disappear or magically become metric.
Unless you absolutely refuse to perform maintenance on old machinery that was built using Imperial measurement units, you'll still need two sets of tools.

Personally, I don't have issues with metric versus Imperial; I've adapted, mostly.

What really messes with me is how many "grains" versus "grams" or "imperial ounces" or "troy ounces". And don't even start going on about (dry) pints, pecks, quarts, and bushels. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Redtick12, switching to metric won't make old Chevy's disappear or magically become metric.
Unless you absolutely refuse to perform maintenance on old machinery that was built using Imperial measurement units, you'll still need two sets of tools.

Personally, I don't have issues with metric versus Imperial; I've adapted, mostly.

What really messes with me is how many "grains" versus "grams" or "imperial ounces" or "troy ounces". And don't even start going on about (dry) pints, pecks, quarts, and bushels. 🤦‍♂️
No, but time will make old Chevys disappear. If we switch to the metric system we the conversion won’t happen instantly, but in time it will. Actually as I mentioned it already is happening whether we like it or not.

Reactions: kanmotexacal
Funny thing is…
Americans use metric (without being aware?) EVERY day! There are 10 (dollar)cents in a dime, and 100 cents (or 10 dimes…) in a dollar… ( 1 cent is like a centimeter, 1 dollar is like 1 meter, times 10 is 100 dollars (meters) times 10 is 1000 dollars (1000 meters, or 1 kilometer…)
“Kilo” meaning “one thousand”,… hey that’s also said in one “kilogram” of mass, which incidentally (well not really…) is… 1000 grams…. (BTW in everyday language mass is addressed as “weight”…) Bottomline: metric is base 10 exactly like in your money…

So really the only new thing to learn is the size to which you mentally reference things to… (like how far are your thumb and index finger apart when indicating an inch or a centimeter, and how big do you ”guesstimate” is a foot/yard or a meter?)

Reactions: Hal4son
I wish ALL dealers would put as detail descriptions as PYRAMID!
This is America, quit hiding behind the kg. If the dang thing is 9 lbs, say so!
Do you think 3.6 kg is fooling anyone? You put the length in inches.
Made foreign, so what! We can't handle these airguns.
FULL DISCLOSURE is what I say! (Raspberries) .
Yep, drives me nuts having to pull up a online conversion calculator and then flip back and forth from one webpage to the other. Metric is fine when you need to be as accurate as possible but pointless when just needing quick info. Can we sue the education system for not better preparing us for this forced change? Lol

1660446602299.png

I love 'em both!
Each is beautiful in it's own way.

I always say America are crazy,,,,,, but i also say in the same breath of air that it is for sure my kind of crazy.
There are vast differences between the US and Denmark, and for a Dane that is why it can feel a bit OMG once in a while.
And i am sure at least for FOX news people it is also so the other way around, maybe even American ambassadors to Denmark,,,, well at least a Trump assigned ambassador.