This is a VITAL thread

Rats! Hate them suckers too!! I need to get me a night ratting scope sometime soon.

Well, got me this juvenile today. Was actually set up for some close up shots on some chipmunks when I saw it at about 25 yards out. My 5.5fpe HW30 in .177 was loaded & ready, and up to the challenge. I did miss on the first try, but that was on me, had forgotten my holdover. Second shot? See below. No jumping or running off, just laid down right there and then.
72134181629__3AD5FBDC-A536-4A05-B2C3-CF9B437DFCCD.jpeg

Reactions: EdinGa
A healthy adult male. Brocock Sahara XR .22 @35-yds with H&N 18. It was on a tree branch. It ran 5-6 feet after being shot and tried to jump toward the next tree. Fell to ground before reaching the tree. I heard the impact to the ground and no sound afterwards. A lot of blood under the body. I think it was dead before hitting the ground. The gun is new with less than 100 pellets shot. So I consider it still in its break-in period.

IMG_2381.jpeg

---snip---
immediately (good and warm) and we found one hole in it’s neck, #6 lead shot. It was a big rabbit too. I wonder what the energy was in that #6 shot. Starting velocity probably around 1200 fps weighing 2 grains. Can anyone do the calculation?

---snip---
Hmm, Chairgun has it around 1 ft# at 40 yards. That would break the skin for sure, but I can't imagine it going deep or penetrating bone. Maybe it nicked an artery?

@SteveV What type of gun is this? Make and model?
Marauder pistol tube tapped for a Discovery breech, Maximus valve, 13 ci hangy tank,Tippman hangy thingy adapter, 10" braided steel 3000 psi rated hpa line, paintball reg @1800 psi output, 18" Charles Mellon prepped barrel, back half of Tom West P-Rod stock,Donny FL , and last but not least, a Buck Rail P-Rod forearm.

The brain is VERY vital for life function, but this is a trolling thread precisely for folks that think that head shots are the ONLY way to go. It’s widely accepted and understood that a shot to the vitals is a shot to the lungs, heart, liver etc.
Well I shoot deer in the lungs/heart, bear in the lungs/heart, boar in the lungs/heart, because I can track them.
I shoot squirrels, rabbits, racoons, in the head because I don't want to dig them out from under my deck, shed, etc.
So there is a viable articulable reason for both.

So there is a viable articulable reason for both.
I had to look this one up. After I did, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna try to drop this one on someone in a game of Scrabble. Don’t mean to derail the thread, but nice word!! Carry on and keep firing away at those pesky animals’ shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: dens228
I was sighting in my .25 AirArms S510 last week at 40yards, when a rabbit happend to hop onto my shooting range and came to a stop in front of a gate about 56yards down range… really bad timing Mr Bunny!
Having just zeroed at 40 I took an educated guess at that the hold over would be at 56, and sent a 25gr pellet down range.
It was a clean pass through both lungs and he went about 2yards 😂.
IMG_1404.jpeg

This guy got a body shot from my Vet 1 standard .22 w a 22.07g DC pellet at around 35y offhand. It was a pass-through and didn't do much visible damage. I went inside to grab my tablet and within 10 minutes something ripped it apart. Probably a Crow , Hawk or Jay's .

I usually go with body shots when shooting off hand and save the headshots for when I have a good rest .

20240427_135027.jpg