• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

This is a Safety issue alert

hp air safety generally suggests you tie your whips to an immovable object to prevent this possibility - even if it's just from human error. Navy Diver talking here.

Good tip! I have been securing my tank in case of a part rupture such as the pressure gauge, but securing the ends of the whips seems like very a good practice to follow as well.

For the record, I have about a dozen female quick connect fittings and NONE of them fit the FX M3 I have been borrowing, because the opening is too small in that removable trigger guard piece for all of them. The nicely made female connector that came with the FX fits the gun perfectly but interestingly doesn't fit about half of the 9 pcp guns I have on hand at the moment. but it doesn't fit the threads of ANY of my whips as the thread size is different. I had to modify the extended female connector I had on hand, like what is shown in the photo below from Ca_Varminter's post, to fill the FX gun.

When I was first learning to fill PCP guns not too many months ago, I had the whip pop off a gun that had easy access to the male connector, because I had not properly latched it on there. Fortunately this happened at fairly low pressure. I have since made it a habit to push and pull firmly on the connector once connected, and I push the sliding collar down when connecting to the gun, not just relying on the spring tension of the collar. I also finally inspect the sliding collar to make sure it is in the fully extended position before I turn on the pressure.

1669667305324.png

Last edited:
Except it isn't proprietary, it's a bit tricky to get at and they include one that works.
If you have to use the one they include, and a standard one off the shelf won't work, that sounds just as proprietary as any fill probe lol

I had a Red Wolf that was the same way, only I bought it used and didn't get the "special" foster fitting for it. Caused a good bit of ass pain, similar to what the OP was dealing with.

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
Good tip! I have been securing my tank in case of a part rupture such as the pressure gauge, but securing the ends of the whips seems like very a good practice to follow as well.

For the record, I have about a dozen female quick connect fittings and NONE of them fit the FX M3 I have been borrowing, because the opening is too small in that removable trigger guard piece for all of them. The nicely made female connector that came with the FX fits the gun perfectly but interestingly doesn't fit about half of the 9 pcp guns I have on hand at the moment. but it doesn't fit the threads of ANY of my whips as the thread size is different. I had to modify the extended female connector I had on hand, like what is shown in the photo below from Ca_Varminter's post, to fill the FX gun.

When I was first learning to fill PCP guns not too many months ago, I had the whip pop off a gun that had easy access to the male connector, because I had not properly latched it on there. Fortunately this happened at fairly low pressure. I have since made it a habit to push and pull firmly on the connector once connected, and I push the sliding collar down when connecting to the gun, not just relying on the spring tension of the collar. I also finally inspect the sliding collar to make sure it is in the fully extended position before I turn on the pressure.

View attachment 309220
@Glem.Chally check out paragraph #2 posted by this gentleman.

You need a slim foster to fit in there. FX includes these, maybe you didn't get one. They come in all shapes and sizes, so no they don't make it big enough to fit every brand of foster fitting (which is why they include one) but again sounds like you didn't get one. You say you lived with this happening for 2 years? Why?
Yes, I got one with my new FX about 2 months ago but it’s still not very long and a little difficult to get ahold of when removing it from the male fitting. I ordered a new one from PA that’s much longer and should work great.

@Glem.Chally check out paragraph #2 posted by this gentleman.
That's the first time I've seen that an extended one needed to be turned down to fit. The OP says the opening in the crown is 17.5mm, the fx one is 16, and an off the shelf extended one is 16 and change OD. So if you want to qualify it being "proprietary in the case of the M3" I guess I couldn't argue that. Both the above fosters fit the MK2 and Royale (similar to crown) perfectly.

Do you know offhand if the DW/AW and Ghost need an extended foster? Do they include it?

Man! You guys are tough!

I personally welcome threads like this one. At least like this one started out.

Yes, Steve should have addressed this issue when it first came up, but to me, that is not the point of his thread.
The point is obviously to alert others of a potential hazard. So what if many here already knew about it, but it one new FX owner reads this and takes the time to check that his connection is secure, that person will likely avoid getting smacked with a runaway whip hose.

As far as his Crown not coming with a female foster fitting. I have no reason not to believe that. Items are shipped out every day with missing pieces. Mistakes do happen.

Sometimes I think people on the internet go looking for things to pick apart.
You’re right. Some people DO like to pick things apart. For example, someone buys a crown, notices his foster fitting doesn’t work properly for it. WAITS 2 YEARS before coming on here and complaining to the masses about it. No effort to try and remedy it through FX or his own ingenuity. If the OP didn’t want the push back he’s getting, maybe he should have tried the proper channels first.

You’re right. Some people DO like to pick things apart. For example, someone buys a crown, notices his foster fitting doesn’t work properly for it. WAITS 2 YEARS before coming on here and complaining to the masses about it. No effort to try and remedy it through FX or his own ingenuity. If the OP didn’t want the push back he’s getting, maybe he should have tried the proper channels first.
(y)

If you have to use the one they include, and a standard one off the shelf won't work, that sounds just as proprietary as any fill probe lol

I had a Red Wolf that was the same way, only I bought it used and didn't get the "special" foster fitting for it. Caused a good bit of ass pain, similar to what the OP was dealing with.
The foster on my joebroncato fill valve works perfectly, the cheap foster on my yong Heng fits perfectly, the foster that came with the gun fits perfectly, I’m seeing a pattern here. We’re all arguing that some fit and some don’t. This doesn’t make the fitting proprietary, just as the evol fitting is not proprietary. Some companies make better quality fittings, that are slimmer due to higher quality materials. IMO, I’d rather use high quality fittings, than cheap junk that might give out even if it’s properly connected.

1. It sure would be nice if Foster males and females could be standardized similar to mil std picatinny where the dimensions and tolerances and materials are set in stone. In the market place there are female fosters made of stainless steel and some made of brass. I can see brass sleeves possibly needing to be thicker even though they aren’t wetted with HPA. In any case, the designer for that manufacturer sets the size which FX would have no way of knowing ALL the sizes on the market. To me, enlarging the Crown access hole in the stock would be pretty simple to possibly assure universal fitment of fittings.
2. Or simply mark your Crown foster with paint or a short section of heat shrink tube so you know. But if you lend the gun out, they’ll need that fitting. I keep the Donny FL extended fitting in my Crown case so I always have gun and female foster together.
3. ALWAYS assure the sleeve is always in the locked position. HPA is nothing to fool with, despite the tiny line size and flow rates. When it lets loose, it can be very ugly.

Reactions: madeintheuk
No doubt about that, In fact I mentioned in my reply something about his not addressing the issue when it first happened.
My point is that if his initial post made even on new Crown owner aware before he or she got slapped in the face by a runaway fill hose, then this was a good thing to bring up.
But if you don't thing so, then go ahead and go back on the keyboard offensive.
As for me, I am not at all offended by his or your posts so, I think I'll air up one or two of my PCPs (making sure that my foster fitting is firmly attached) and go shoot some targets.

No doubt about that, In fact I mentioned in my reply something about his not addressing the issue when it first happened.
My point is that if his initial post made even on new Crown owner aware before he or she got slapped in the face by a runaway fill hose, then this was a good thing to bring up.
But if you don't thing so, then go ahead and go back on the keyboard offensive.
As for me, I am not at all offended by his or your posts so, I think I'll air up one or two of my PCPs (making sure that my foster fitting is firmly attached) and go shoot some targets.
No offense taken here. Just want to make some the correct information is out. Sometimes people overlook things, and sometimes they’re just blatantly “out to get” a brand. I’ve seen it before many times here. Most have been from members that joined just to bad mouth a brand (ever see oneshotonekill here?), others had a bad experience and vow to make all others haters of the brand too.
The red flag for me was he held his tongue and “dealt” with it for 2 years before saying anything. To me that shows that either it didn’t bother him that much, or he neglected to reach out to the correct sources for proper information.

This reminds me of when I first received my brand new edgun leshiy 2. It came with a fill probe with 1/8” bsp threads. He also included a male foster with female bsp threads, and a delrin seal. Well, the cheap male foster he provided was too deep for the probe, and wouldn’t seal against the washer. I reached out to him and asked if this was normal. He said he’s finding the new batch was this way, and to add an oring aswell to help seal. While I did do this (to use as a spare) I also ordered a 1 piece peobe from huma also. I remedied my issue within 3 days, and didn’t find the need to come on here and bad mouth a brand for not including the correct adapter (which is also a safety issue mind you). Imagine if I had waited 2 years to complain about that issue?

Reactions: jmohme
No offense taken here. Just want to make some the correct information is out. Sometimes people overlook things, and sometimes they’re just blatantly “out to get” a brand. I’ve seen it before many times here. Most have been from members that joined just to bad mouth a brand (ever see oneshotonekill here?), others had a bad experience and vow to make all others haters of the brand too.
The red flag for me was he held his tongue and “dealt” with it for 2 years before saying anything. To me that shows that either it didn’t bother him that much, or he neglected to reach out to the correct sources for proper information.

This reminds me of when I first received my brand new edgun leshiy 2. It came with a fill probe with 1/8” bsp threads. He also included a male foster with female bsp threads, and a delrin seal. Well, the cheap male foster he provided was too deep for the probe, and wouldn’t seal against the washer. I reached out to him and asked if this was normal. He said he’s finding the new batch was this way, and to add an oring aswell to help seal. While I did do this (to use as a spare) I also ordered a 1 piece peobe from huma also. I remedied my issue within 3 days, and didn’t find the need to come on here and bad mouth a brand for not including the correct adapter (which is also a safety issue mind you). Imagine if I had waited 2 years to complain about that issue?
interesting, mine only cane with the one fill probe, i wonder if they know?

I have a FX Crown and I have noticed some fill whips disengage violently during an air bottle refill. (very exciting). I kept blaming the Foster fitting, but that was not the fault. It is the stock that interferes with the outer shell of the female Foster fitting on the fill whip from completely closing. It is not possible to see why this is happening because the fill fitting is recessed. After complete disassembly so I could measure all the dimensions, I discovered the milled slot in the stock has a width of 17.5 mm. Female foster fittings larger than 17mm will interfere with that slot and not properly latch. Please note that these Foster fittings rarely state their dimensions. I have 8 different fill whips and only 2 are 17mm. All the rest are 19 mm and interfere. I do not know how many other guns have this issue, but certainly the FX Crown does. Beware! I have contacted FX Customer Support, about this.
Steve,

Thanks for bringing this issue to light. As a new FX Impact and GX pump owner, this hasn’t been something that’s happened to me nor have I thought about it. I can be a procrastinator with minor problems like this just like you were so I understand. I’m good at taking on the big problems but will let little ones slide. It really goes back to my days of being a programmer. I loved the new programs that had never been done before and really enjoyed starting them and getting the framework built. My problem was that I’d get most everything done except the easy stuff, like reports, I was never good at finishing th