• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

This is a Safety issue alert

I have a FX Crown and I have noticed some fill whips disengage violently during an air bottle refill. (very exciting). I kept blaming the Foster fitting, but that was not the fault. It is the stock that interferes with the outer shell of the female Foster fitting on the fill whip from completely closing. It is not possible to see why this is happening because the fill fitting is recessed. After complete disassembly so I could measure all the dimensions, I discovered the milled slot in the stock has a width of 17.5 mm. Female foster fittings larger than 17mm will interfere with that slot and not properly latch. Please note that these Foster fittings rarely state their dimensions. I have 8 different fill whips and only 2 are 17mm. All the rest are 19 mm and interfere. I do not know how many other guns have this issue, but certainly the FX Crown does. Beware! I have contacted FX Customer Support, about this.

That why a new crown comes with a foster fitting. This isn’t new news. Why not try the fitting that came with the gun?
I suspect either you or I do not understand the issue. My Crown and all other Crowns that I know of come with only the male fitting on the gun. Are you saying that Crowns also comes with a female fitting? Perhaps a special whip?

The problem is that female Foster fittings are generally not advertised with their size. Currently there are many out there for sale that are larger than 17mm in OD and they will interfere with the FX Crown stocks and do NOT fully lock. Perhaps also other models as well. This is new and it IS dangerous.

This female fitting comes in All FX Guns
IMG_0506.jpg

I own 2 MKII Crowns with Walnut stocks.
I have Zero issue filling with the Extended fitting from high pressure air, and they are a LOT better quality than the FX fitting.
You will be lucky to get 25 fills from the FX fitting before the bearings fail and it starts leaking.

The key to Any fitting is make damn sure it locks on to the male fitting...

You may also note that this milled slot in the stock does not provide adequate side clearance to allow a deep well 14mm socket wrench for the male fitting on the gun. Forcing a rather complete disassembly of the rifle to remove that fitting for service. The solution for both issues is a larger slot size.
Taking the stock off is a "rather complete disassembly of the rifle"?

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Yes typically all FX guns come with their own female foster end.
I am glad you stated "Typically" because I did not get one nor did anyone that I know get one. Further if this issue was already so well known, perhaps you could reference a previous alert or article identifying this problem. I obviously was not aware of this and I am generally pretty well informed. That is why I posted the alert. I only had to mill 1.2 mm all around the slot for adequate clearance. This change seems to me to be an infinitely easier solution. So why did this not happen before?

Reactions: Arkansas_Airgunner
I am glad you stated "Typically" because I did not get one nor did anyone that I know get one. Further if this issue was already so well known, perhaps you could reference a previous alert or article identifying this problem. I obviously was not aware of this and I am generally pretty well informed. That is why I posted the alert. I only had to mill 1.2 mm all around the slot for adequate clearance. This change seems to me to be an infinitely easier solution. So why did this not happen before?
Is there a warning on gas dispensing nozzles to make sure to put into the filler neck before squeezing the handle? Omg could get gas everywhere how could I know?

Every FX gun I've had came with the female end. If it's not clicking in properly you need a different female end. That's as complicated as it is.

Its amazing some people just can't say "Oh I made a mistake"

When I got my first Taipan I hooked my scba up to it and shot tethered at 4200 PSI and posted a video, people immediately questioned it and I checked and realized that could have been a huge "UH OH" , I quickly thanked everyone and never did that again.

my rule is a foster should be free enough to easily, and aubibly click in place .. if its not your asking for it .. its pretty standard procedure to check the fit of every new fitting im using and work on it if necessary ...
You are correct. I have to admit I have lived with this issue for 2 years because I did not want lose my zero. Some fittings worked fine and others did not. Because the fitting is recessed, it was not possible to measure all the related dimensions. I just assumed it was a bad fitting. I even made several inquiries on this forum asking others if they had similar issues without any replies. It was not until yesterday that I finally bit the bullet and disassembled the rifle to finally discover the real fault.

Its amazing some people just can't say "Oh I made a mistake"

When I got my first Taipan I hooked my scba up to it and shot tethered at 4200 PSI and posted a video, people immediately questioned it and I checked and realized that could have been a huge "UH OH" , I quickly thanked everyone and never did that again.
I guess I am confused. What mistake did I make? FX made the slot too small. If you or others were aware of the issue, why did you not inform the forum and alert FX? If I was not aware, it is a pretty good bet that others were not aware either. Alerting others in our community to the issue is not a mistake. If other folks were already aware of the issue, no harm done.

Reactions: jmohme
You need a slim foster to fit in there. FX includes these, maybe you didn't get one. They come in all shapes and sizes, so no they don't make it big enough to fit every brand of foster fitting (which is why they include one) but again sounds like you didn't get one. You say you lived with this happening for 2 years? Why?

I guess I am confused. What mistake did I make? FX made the slot too small. If you or others were aware of the issue, why did you not inform the forum and alert FX? If I was not aware, it is a pretty good bet that others were not aware either. Alerting others in our community to the issue is not a mistake. If other folks were already aware of the issue, no harm done.
These rifles have remained unchanged for a long period of time man, as its been stated new crowns , actually new fx rifles come with the foster fitting, literally all of them do. Might have thrown it away in unboxing, who knows but they all do. The word typically is a safe word to use. Fx didn't make the slot too small, they just made it so they could sell yet another piece to their puzzle. Every fx rifle ive owned was the same.

Reactions: Camaro454
@Steve-I not trying to fan the flames here, but it appears that you could have: 1) contacted someone at FX to be sent a female fitting (unless you bought yours used), 2) asked members here about the issue when it first began, 3) searched the AGN threads for info. After reading this thread i used the AGN search feature and typed “Crown Foster.” The first thread that came up had posts discussing issues that members have had with their Crowns and female foster fittings getting stuck.

This doesn’t look like news. @glemchally was in that thread saying a similar thing as he states here, all of his FX guns came with a female fitting. Looks like you dropped the ball on seeking information or got lazy. It happens. On occasion I’ve been lazy in seeking out solutions to troubleshooting issues with guns I don’t shoot often.

Reactions: Camaro454
You need a slim foster to fit in there. FX includes these, maybe you didn't get one. They come in all shapes and sizes, so no they don't make it big enough to fit every brand of foster fitting (which is why they include one) but again sounds like you didn't get one. You say you lived with this happening for 2 years? Why?
Good question. I guess because I did not want to rezero the perfect reliable rifle that took me a long time to achieve. I was too lazy! Opening up that slot without damaging the finish was tricky and time consuming as well and I have a milling machine.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Good question. I guess because I did not want to rezero the perfect reliable rifle that took me a long time to achieve. I was too lazy! Opening up that slot without damaging the finish was tricky and time consuming as well and I have a milling machine.
Why would you need to rezero if you're not messing with either the scope or the barrel? Legit question