This happened in my hometown….Mule deer poached with air rifle IN city limits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just done reading news and came across this article of someone killing a mule deer within the city of my hometown in Idaho, Pocatello. Within the city limits for as long as I can remember it has been illegal to discharge any type of firearm or other projectile weapons.

Idaho only two years ago approved big game hunting with big bore air rifles. A lots of people going to Idaho now to hunt with big bores, good for tourism. Now this crap happens giving airguns a bad name in regard to big game.

Hopefully they catch the MOFO and crucify them. Like the article says, 2 F&G violations and one city to me amounts to a felony, 🙏. And we all know what the consequences are for that.

Link to the news story: https://localnews8.com/news/pocatello/2021/09/22/mule-deer-buck-illegally-killed-with-pellet-gun-in-pocatello/

Here is the local ordinance for Pocatello, Idaho.

According to information provided by the City of Pocatello, City Code 9.32 states it is unlawful for any person to discharge firearms of any kind or description within the city limits of Pocatello and defines a firearm as “any instrument used in the propulsion of shot, shell or bullets or other harmful objects by the action of gunpowder exploded within it, or by the action of compressed air within it, or by the power of springs and including what are commonly known as air rifles, BB guns, slings or flippers.”

Well before anyone gets crucified let’s keep in mind that it is possible that the deer was shot in a legal hunting area and ran into the no-hunting area where it died. That does happen. None of us know the circumstances.
However, the fact that they know it was an airgun would lead me to believe that it was shot with a diabolo pellet and it did not pass through. So, most likely it wasn’t a legal caliber to be deer hunting with in any area in the first place.

It was over a year ago where a guy shot Two deer in his yard with a pellet rifle and Killed Them and he got caught and told the police that he was just trying to scare them away because they were eating his flowers. It was supposed to been a mama deer and it’s fawn.I’m not sure but I think it was in California.Don’t know exactly what they did to him about it.

@ripper well, Idaho law is pretty clear on the type and power levels needed to hunt deer with an air rifle. 

Idaho law say that for deer that only PCP air rifles can be used with a minimum caliber size of 35 for deer and pronghorn with a minimum FPE at muzzle of 350 FPE.

I think it was last year they found a deer shot with a .22 cal pellet rifle, and this is probably similar size. 

Also, I asked my buddy to confirm with his buddy if they know the animal was shot in city limits and he confirmed it was near the old BE buildings off Eldredge which is definitely within the city limits of Pocatello. Around the hills of Pocatello within the city limit deer, fox, coyotes, and even cougars and bears can wander in. My sister's neighbor had a black bear in their pond, yes like you see on YouTube.

So yeah...felony!

We understand that you were just sharing a story, but please mind the rules.

1) Any Member sharing injury, violence, insults, slander, politics, racism, religion, unauthorized advertising, profanity, obscenity, unsafe operation & handling, or illegal use of an airgun will have said content removed and be issued an administrative warning.

Thank you

-AGN

Status
Not open for further replies.