• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Thinking of creating a new sanctioning body for 50y BR

I like the idea of both 25 and 50 meter or yards contest. I don't care what caliber one uses but I think we could look at it in a different way of scoring. Instead of gauging up to .35 cal so everyone gets the same score, which inflates scores. One could score down. What ever caliber you use would have to fully fall into that ring. IE if a shot crosses the line between 8 and 9, the shot would be scored as an 8. That way shooting the smaller calibers and fighting the wind you have less pellet/slug to get fully into the higher scoring ring.

I shot a contest like this and you find yourself being much more precise about your shot as you were in fear of drifting into a smaller score. Doing this your not shooting horse shoes just trying to get it close enough to plug up. The target you are shooting for gets much smaller getting to fall in the desired placement.

Think of it mathematically, A EBR or RMAC 100 yard 10 spot is .475 in diameter. The center of your shot can land in a diameter of .825 and still score a 10. If you have to be fully inside a .475 diameter your actual shot diameter you are aiming for depends of the caliber you are shooting. A .177 caliber center would need to be inside of a .298 diameter and a .30 caliber center would to be inside of a .175 diameter. Now you can balance the wind holding of a .30 cal and the curveball of a .177 cal.

I would personally be happy to evenly shoot against 30 caliber with a heavy 177 or a heavy 22 at 50y. The wind resistance difference is negligible. I’m sure many will argue that, but I have plenty of real world comparison on exactly that to support the statement. I don’t imagine anyone will choose to shoot a 8.4 gr 177 at 50y and expect to be competitive. The current crop of today’s HP guns will be right at home. Guys hoping to use current 25m LV or HV guns are going to be outgunned at 50....but might be able to keep up if they have a light day. It’s not the goal of this organization to attempt to make every gun caliber, weight, or brand equal. I don’t think that’s even possible.

The main objection to the current 50y target is that it’s too difficult...because it’s a Rimfire BR target. Participation falls off when targets are too difficult...,and the gap between the top shooters and the middle shooters increases.

Mike 

I like it, and think this would give a very good option for the National Air Rifle BR Championship that you were going to Match Direct last year. In this case we could do 25M USARB LV and HV, New 50Y Board Pellet and Slug/Rimfire and 100Y Pellet and Slug. Shoot all 6 and take the highest 4 (or 5) finishes for overall score. I know you had considered something like this in 2020 before the Wuhan Flu fiasco...

Mike

Hi Sandy....thanks for the feedback.

The final score will be accurate because everyone will be scored with the same plug diameter regardless of pellet caliber being shot. That’s actually the only correct way to do it. Making the plug bigger is the same as making the rings bigger....except making the rings bigger would make the target too easy for the slug/Rimfire class since the minimum plug size for them is .224”....and we don’t want 2 different targets.

Please note that we will use .350” diameter scoring edge plugs with different sized shanks for the appropriate hole that has been shot. We won’t be pushing oversized plugs into holes to enlarge them.

Am I making sense?

Mike 

Sorry Mike,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say over different size shanks. Maybe I’m not familiar with the different plugs that are used. I’ve never seen a .350” plug, is it different than the others and how do you score it based on “the appropriate hole?”

Hi Sandy....thanks for the feedback.

The final score will be accurate because everyone will be scored with the same plug diameter regardless of pellet caliber being shot. That’s actually the only correct way to do it. Making the plug bigger is the same as making the rings bigger....except making the rings bigger would make the target too easy for the slug/Rimfire class since the minimum plug size for them is .224”....and we don’t want 2 different targets.

Please note that we will use .350” diameter scoring edge plugs with different sized shanks for the appropriate hole that has been shot. We won’t be pushing oversized plugs into holes to enlarge them.

Am I making sense?

Mike 

Sorry Mike,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say over different size shanks. Maybe I’m not familiar with the different plugs that are used. I’ve never seen a .350” plug, is it different than the others and how do you score it based on “the appropriate hole?”

Plugs can be built with a step up in size, so that if you are shooting a .25, the plug fits nicely in a .25 hole, nice and snug without enlarging the hole, or in the same sense, being sloppy in the hole. But when looking from the top of the plug, the "collar" or "step" is .357 so the rings that are hit by .357 are scored even though you were using a .25. Another plug would be used that stepped .30 caliber up to .357, and If I read mike right .22 caliber up to .357 if you're shooting pellets. Of utmost importance is that the front of the target be marked so the scorer can easily be aware of which caliber was being shot as he will be juggling plugs while scoring.

Yes...that is correct. The plug shank is tailored in size to the specific caliber being scored so it does not enlarge the hole. The top of the plug is the scoring edge and in our case will be .350” in diameter. Think of it in a T shape where the vertical part of the letter is the properly fitted shank and the top of the T is the 350 scoring edge.

This is exactly the same thing that takes place in current 25m BR where there is .177 and .22 shooting on the same target. To make 177 fair, you have to use a .224” scoring edge plug.

it takes 2 different shank plugs to score targets fairly with 2 calibers. This is going to take 4 plugs. Without them, you have no way of scoring targets of different caliber correctly.

Mike 

The reason is because it makes the target easier for the pellet guys without making it too easy for the slug/Rimfire guys....thats all.

Both Pyramyd and RMAC use a 350” plug. EBR used to but recently switched to 30. This is not to align ourselves with anyone or anything. I don’t personally care about shooting 100y with pellets.

30 could be used for this....but the target will be harder for pellet shooters.

We are simply trying to make a target that is suitable to the real capability of pellet guns at 50y....and be able to use the same target for the slug/rimfire class.

Mike 

download.png
View attachment SmallSample1.1611701777.pdf

Here is an 8 1/2 x 11.

The X should print .031”

The 10 should print .315”

Slug/Rimfire is plugged with .224”

Pellet is plugged with .350”

Im trying to figure out a simple way that you can score without a plug for now. Not coming up with much other than using a drafting circle overlay or something like that.

Mike 

So,

I just got off the phone with Mike, Great guy and truly an asset to the sport. A true man of benchrest and accuracy. What I want to do is have some of his targets and some plugs available at our first match in April at SMGC. Our plans are to shoot USARB 2 matches with their 25M targets. But what I'm thinking is that after the match is over, it would be cool if we had a number of guys that wanted to try his new target and new scoring system to try it out as an informal practice. We could base our plans on that go. I fully support Mike in this endeavor as I know that true benchrest is hard to come by these days and we as shooters need to have an organization that has a target system that will be able to be used by any number of shooters that have differing levels of equipment and or ability to attain the top equipment. This system seems that a lot of shooters will shoot better scores and walk away happy no matter where they place, and keep coming back and improving themselves and possibly their equipment. I downloaded the practice target and plan to give it a go soon.