Thinking of buying a Hatsan 135 QE in .25

had an early one and accuracy was iffy. Tried all pellets, all types of holds- it wasn't consistent. .25 cal sounds fun, but from a springer, my preference would be to use a .22- you're not going to use slugs and a heavy pellet just goes through most animals you would intend to shoot. After you perforate your target, the continuing pellet is taking your ft/lbs with it.
.22 would be easier to control, flatter shooting and save you a few pennies to boot.

BTW, I received this exact same advice before plunking down $$$ for a new 135QE - I had to experience it for myself. Ended up trading it, evensteven, for a Gamo .177, with the whisper quiet suppressor and a nice trigger. Still have that rifle.....

Reactions: Mcrafty1
In general, not just HATSAN . Any gun shooting 25plus ft lbs is gonna be tough. You can’t stop recoil, you can’t stop the tourque created by the heavy pistons. You can’t beat physics.. you can calm them but NEVER ARE THEY GONE. EVEN THE MIGHTY WEBLEY PATRIOT OF UK FAME.. I’ve got a few over 30 Ft lbs I rarely ,shoot them. unless it’s a big trash bandit or something bigger.. 20 ft lb Tommy or 15 ft lb Blackbird I made is what’s deadly and easy.

Not this model but 2 things .. first is spring or ram. Hatsans rams seem to fail more often then most . I got one as well.. lol. 2 somthing i seen in my 2 is older models seem a bit better built and as time goes they cut corners like what was metal now plastic kinda thing.. i looked at this gun (135) quick at pa and the first few reviews guys said to them 2 things ..

Anyway i see this with mine the older first release gun built well still shoot it regular the latest older run chincy dead ram dust collector .

In the end and if you like to have one like most anything you buy , you try, and hope it don't make you cry.

Last edited:
This is the 135QE Vortex in .25 caliber. Shoots 24 grain lead pellets around 800 fps. Smooth shooter especially in 22 and 25. I think these two calibers are the “sweet spot” for this monster. Well balanced rifle so the weight isn’t a hindrance. Very accurate. I have been through the entire gun and trigger. Trigger breaks at about 2 lbs. It could go lighter but this beast calls for a bit heavier trigger. They are a hoot to shoot. I would not recommend buying one without seeing it in person. Hatsan’s QC has gone to the dogs lately. If you come across an earlier one then you will be getting a better one.
33738168-3BAE-44E4-82BC-77F8B6673B3E.jpeg

Spring powered or Vortex? Bear of Grayling and SteveP-52 know a good deal about these rifles. I have a .22 135QE Vortex that I got from BoG and it’s excellent. But he put some work into it to get it there. He has the same gun in .25 also.
While I know more than a bit about Hatsans, I've never owned the 135 and have only read what other owners post about them. As you mentioned, when there is something I'd like to know, The Bear there is the gentleman I ask since he's owned several and been very in depth into them.
As far as work into them, that can be said about pretty much every springer out there regardless of brand or model, since they all benefit from time and effort into tweaking them.

I had a Webley Patriot in .25 cal., a Beeman import known as the Kodiak back then, it was a heavy beast, 10lbs, and it wasn't the easiest to cock. I ended up selling it because it wasn't getting used much. Those are big heavy airguns. I had a FWB124, that was stolen, before I purchased the Kodiak and really missed it. For pesting I now use hw95 in .22 cal and it weighs 7.4 lbs . And for fun a hw30 . Small light easy-to-cock open sight can killer. Anyways a Weihrauch 95 is around 100 -150 dollars more than the the Hatsan 135 and they have a lifetime warranty, that you'll never need, Mine is only a 17 fpe airgun, but it does a number on squirrels and super accurate. Don't count out higher end airguns and .22 cal..

I have a 135QE in 0.25 cal. that I bought in 2019. It shot the 31 gr RWS pellets at 665 fps with so-so accuracy. About 2 years later all the air leaked out of the vortex piston so I had to buy a new piston. It now shoots the same 31 gr pellets at 590 fps.
Sounds like the ram wasn't pumped up quite enough. Ask Bear of Greyling for sure, but there should be a hole in the back of the receiver you can slide a Hatsan fill probe in and put a pump or 2 from a hand pump into that ram to boost the power a little if you want to and only need to take the action out of the stock.

Thanks guys for the input.
If you like it take the chance and try it. Like i got one jaysan im happy as a clam with it then one not so much , oh well thats life in the big city..

Dont think any brand dont get sent back or a guy may not be so happy. Heck i sent 3 hw's back they were so bad heck one all it took was removing it from the box . Went right back in and sent back . In the end its not what me , him or dome guy off the street says. You got to grab one and judge for your self.

Good luck and enjoy..

Reactions: Mcrafty1
Sounds like the ram wasn't pumped up quite enough. Ask Bear of Greyling for sure, but there should be a hole in the back of the receiver you can slide a Hatsan fill probe in and put a pump or 2 from a hand pump into that ram to boost the power a little if you want to and only need to take the action out of the stock.
This is actually my 2nd replacement piston. I tried increasing the pressure on the first one and put too much in such that I could barely cock it and it was shooting well over 900 fps!!! Unfortunately there was no way to reduce the pressure so that's when I ordered a second piston and left as is.

This is the 135QE Vortex in .25 caliber. Shoots 24 grain lead pellets around 800 fps. Smooth shooter especially in 22 and 25. I think these two calibers are the “sweet spot” for this monster. Well balanced rifle so the weight isn’t a hindrance. Very accurate. I have been through the entire gun and trigger. Trigger breaks at about 2 lbs. It could go lighter but this beast calls for a bit heavier trigger. They are a hoot to shoot. I would not recommend buying one without seeing it in person. Hatsan’s QC has gone to the dogs lately. If you come across an earlier one then you will be getting a better one. View attachment 340717

That sucks when quality goes down hill with newer models. Sound like the rws 34. I think the older ones were much better. And have yet to hear anything good about Hatsans customer service lately.

This is actually my 2nd replacement piston. I tried increasing the pressure on the first one and put too much in such that I could barely cock it and it was shooting well over 900 fps!!! Unfortunately there was no way to reduce the pressure so that's when I ordered a second piston and left as is.
Hatsan's better gas rams used to have a pressure relief screw on them. Hole for it is stamped on the left side rear of the receiver and the red arrow points to that screw in my picture. The pic is of one of my Model 95 actions. No clue if the 135's have one or if Hatsan even still makes some of their Vortex rams with it.
Hatsan ram pressure relief screw.jpg

Hatsan's better gas rams used to have a pressure relief screw on them. Hole for it is stamped on the left side rear of the receiver and the red arrow points to that screw in my picture. The pic is of one of my Model 95 actions. No clue if the 135's have one or if Hatsan even still makes some of their Vortex rams with it.
View attachment 341189
My 135QE .25 does indeed the pressure release valve. Not sure if the new models do or do not. I experimented once and brought a 95 up to 150 bar. It was incredibly fast and to violent for the mass of the gun. Started eating up the 95 stock. I quickly released the piston down and brought it back to 125 bar. That is as far as I would take the 95. Easy to cock and very pleasant firing behavior. That’s the beauty of an adjustable piston. It is so easy to set at any preferred level. So if Hatsan has stopped with the release valve then this is no longer an option.

View attachment 341189
Unfortunately my gun doesn't have that screw.

I have two Hatsans, a 95 vortex and a Hatsan 1000X I like both rifles a lot. The the 135 carnivore is what attracted me to Hatsan but the shear weight of it turned me away. I have shoulder issues and just can't use a 10lb rifle other than bench shooting and I like to go out in the woods and hunt small game more than target hunting. The 95 is about as heavy as I want to carry and shooting it off hand accurately is impossible.

Reactions: Robin A