Thinkin about a New scope

I used to think that illumination was mostly unnecessary but that has definitely changed from various hunting experiences that I've had. Early mornings, late evenings, even dark buildings all make it difficult to be effective in these scenarios without some illumination. With the light gathering capabilities of todays optics you really are handicapping yourself if you don't have illumination, in many situations.

FFP scopes with a broad magnification range are another reason to have illumination. The reticle is very small and basically ineffective at low magnification with most FFP scopes unless you have illumination.

Personally, I'm going to stick my head way out there and say that I value illumination over FFP as a feature, at least for the scenarios that I find myself in while pesting. For others that may not be the case because of their applications. The reason that I find FFP not so important is that with the superb tracking and precision of quality scopes dialing is effective and efficient. I'm amazed by how often I see people with FFP scopes using their turrets!

The only real world advantage that I can see FFP giving over SFP is when targeting rapidly moving targets at distances greater than my point-of-aim/impact distance. But even in this scenario, chances are that you are running at max magnification with your SFP scope and your reticle holdovers are now accurate(on most SFP scopes max magnification is where the reticle holdovers are correct) so that you can use your reticle exactly like you would a FFP.

Oh, shoot...I just convinced myself to buy a SFP scope.

The Aztec Emerald and Element Helix scopes are both very good for the $400-$500 range and a step up from the Discovery. But there are many good scopes out there in that price range. I believe you can get either scope with or without an illuminated reticle

I love the reticle on the Aztec and have three of them

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/aztec-optics/

I don't have a Helix but it will likely be my next scope purchase.

https://utahairguns.com/element-optics/
+1 what biohazardsaid, I have both of the mentioned scopes and am very happy with them.

I've been well pleased with the Athlons, 1 Talos and 4 Argos. Bang for the buck quotient is high, if need their service is great. The IR feature is a game changer in low light situations. I called them about caps, they sent me a set of caps no charge. Their caps are delicate. I ended up putting on Vortex Defender caps on.

Reactions: ToddGeddes63
Personally I look at the Aztec Emerald as strictly a holdover scope.

2 years ago I had SFP and FFP 5-25's for a few months to critique.

The few I tested had very disappointing turrets which had excessive lash, turret lines didn't line up in the least with the mark on the housing, and no revolution indicator. If a person wants to dial a lot this isn't the scope to get IMHO.

Also I thought the glass wasn't as good as I expected it to be for the price either.

Have these been improved since, I don't know?? Would I choose other brands for the same amount of money if these haven't been improved, that's a "BIG" yes.