Think I Broke My AA TX200 MKIII, .22 cal

I think I shot ny gun out of battery and caused some damage. Need advise from you experienced shooters on a fix and procedures to check what likely be wrong with my gun.

I was shooting my AA TX200 Mk3, 22 cal, getting it ready to shoot a BR match at my club tomorrow. I had put a new scope on it and needed to get a good 10 yard zero and rough 20-25 yard zero. I got it dialed in at 10 yards and moved back to shoot at 20 yards. I also wanted try other pellets.

I had been shooting a leftover tin of H&N 5.55” pellets for my “warm up” ( learning that trigger) session and initial zero, I shot up that tin and switched to a fresh tin of JSB pellets. I had noticed the JSBs seated way easier than the 5.55 diameter HN pellets. The JSB were 5.52” and had a longer skirt. I had shot a relatively tight group at 10 yards with the JSB and stayed with that pellet for my 20 yard zero session.

My first shot was range correct and at approximately same windage at the 10 yards line. I loaded another pellets and fired that shot. I was surprised by the sound of a loud report. I then noticed the cocking handle was in the down position (unlatched). I first thought “dieseling”. However I didn’t detect any odor but did see “smoke” coming out the breech when I got the breech opened.

Upon opening the action (cocking it) I saw a pellet squished in the area just under the barrel. I think the pellet either came out of the chamber when I failed to seated it fully and it fell out. I also failed to notice the breech was not closed correctly when I fired the shot.

After removing that jammed (Squished) pellet, I checked the bore and confirmed the bore was cleared. With now a cocked gun, I needed to “uncock it”. So I chambered a fresh pellet and fired it into the ground. The gun fired, so I fired two more to test function. Gun fired but I was noticing the cocking lever was not seating fully as it had previously. I then shot on my target and noticed accuracy was nowhere where it should be. Power didn't seem to same as before either.

The cocking handle was for sure no longer latching correctly and the gun not seeming to be seating into battery.

So I need some pointer on what to check. I haven’t taken the gun apart yet… so this may be a good time to seen the innerts of the gun. Also maybe buy that tune kit containing new springs, seals, and pistons.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: drpietrzak
That sounds like a right sickener mate - I hope you manage to get it sorted 🤞🏻

My guess is the pellet fell back out of the bore while you were closing the breach and, you had a dry fire.

I'd take it apart before using it any more - check for any damage to the piston seal and breach seal. Also check the latch rod and links to see if any of those have been damaged or bent.

While it's apart, you may as well inspect the compression tube, the piston and all of the other parts to be on the safe side.

Good luck 👍🏻

Reactions: MOSOSODBOB
I think I shot ny gun out of battery and caused some damage. Need advise from you experienced shooters on a fix and procedures to check what likely be wrong with my gun.

I was shooting my AA TX200 Mk3, 22 cal, getting it ready to shoot a BR match at my club tomorrow. I had put a new scope on it and needed to get a good 10 yard zero and rough 20-25 yard zero. I got it dialed in at 10 yards and moved back to shoot at 20 yards. I also wanted try other pellets.

I had been shooting a leftover tin of H&N 5.55” pellets for my “warm up” ( learning that trigger) session and initial zero, I shot up that tin and switched to a fresh tin of JSB pellets. I had noticed the JSBs seated way easier than the 5.55 diameter HN pellets. The JSB were 5.52” and had a longer skirt. I had shot a relatively tight group at 10 yards with the JSB and stayed with that pellet for my 20 yard zero session.

My first shot was range correct and at approximately same windage at the 10 yards line. I loaded another pellets and fired that shot. I was surprised by the sound of a loud report. I then noticed the cocking handle was in the down position (unlatched). I first thought “dieseling”. However I didn’t detect any odor but did see “smoke” coming out the breech when I got the breech opened.

Upon opening the action (cocking it) I saw a pellet squished in the area just under the barrel. I think the pellet either came out of the chamber when I failed to seated it fully and it fell out. I also failed to notice the breech was not closed correctly when I fired the shot.

After removing that jammed (Squished) pellet, I checked the bore and confirmed the bore was cleared. With now a cocked gun, I needed to “uncock it”. So I chambered a fresh pellet and fired it into the ground. The gun fired, so I fired two more to test function. Gun fired but I was noticing the cocking lever was not seating fully as it had previously. I then shot on my target and noticed accuracy was nowhere where it should be. Power didn't seem to same as before either.

The cocking handle was for sure no longer latching correctly and the gun not seeming to be seating into battery.

So I need some pointer on what to check. I haven’t taken the gun apart yet… so this may be a good time to seen the innerts of the gun. Also maybe buy that tune kit containing new springs, seals, and pistons.

Thanks in advance.
As stated above, most likely a dry fire and either your barrel or the cocking lever is bent (or both). That's probably why your cocking lever is no longer latching securely. Without taking it apart, you could use a straight edge and check out which one is no longer straight. I would also check all the cocking lever/arm linkages to make sure...there's no other damages.

If you want to take it apart, I would start with the cocking lever. It can be removed and is probably the easiest fix, if bent. You can either straightened it or buy a replacement part. My preference is replace as that item is subject to 20-40? lb of stress every time you cock the rifle.

I have no experience if a barrel is bent. You might want to search online. The barrel is shrouded so that complicates things a bit (if checking for alignment and bending it back). I know the barrel can be replaced...again not a beginner's project.
Here's a possible fix if you don't mind living with a bent barrel. The ball detent retainer at the end of the cocking lever is threaded in. You'll need gentle heat to loosen the glue and remove it. If the barrel is bent, screw out the ball detent retainer enough to latch the cocking lever securely (cont how many turns and put a witness mark on masking tape). Clean out all the old glue then re-glue it back. If fixed this way...you'll need to learn to live with a bent barrel and you'll probably need an adjustable mount to align your scope to the bore.

Good news is that there are plenty of replacement parts if you choose to go the replacement route (unless PA is out of stock). Then you search for Euro or UK sources or wait.

Just for safety...I would think about replacing the cocking shoe.
Please note, I'm not a tuner. I just shot my TX (a lot). If an experience tuner chimes in, I defer to their recommendations.
OR
Maybe it's time to test Air Arms service/warranty...mail it back to them (3 years warranty). If out of the warranty period, ask them how much to fix. (please share here as we have a population of TX users on this forum)

Last edited:
This happens occasionally and now we know why PA stocks the cocking am for the AA. TX200.
About 13 years ago I was at the range with my R1 and 11 month old TX200.
I was shooting off of an elevated rest.
Done with the R1, I switched to the TX.
I loaded the rifle and sat down behind the bags and touched off.
Bang!
The recoil felt like my .300 Winchester.
I cocked the rifle again and loaded a pellet but the cocking arm would not go back into battery.
It had assumed a nice upside down smile.
A frown.
Unknown to me was the fact that the cocking arm had became unlatched at the time firing and when I touched off it closed and with such force, it bent the center of the cocking arm which (unlike the Chinese BAM40) is hollow.
I went home and called PA and they said to send it in as it was still under warranty. I said but this was operator error. They said to send it anyway and they would take care of it. (No way they are getting my rifle back.)
So, I got some towels and some cardboard and got to it.
I cardboard and towels on my bench and laid the cocking (the rifle was cocked) arm on them while my wife held the rifle vertically and then I did the same on the top of the cocking arm.
Just with my fist, I pounded the cocking arm straight again and kept checking to see if it would go into battery.
VOILA..
The arm can easily be straightened and actually need to have just an RCH of upward bend to it to generate some lock-in pressure.
Like when you are setting up your reloading dies on your press.
There are at least two people making strong magnetic latches for the TX200 (one here in the USA and one in England).

As I said PA wasn’t get this rifle back:

IMG_1280.jpeg

Reactions: MOSOSODBOB
Any air gun doctors or PA medics taking new patients in the Tacoma area?
A quick internet search shows at least a hobbyist or 2 in the area. Guess you havent been to any club shoots yet? GO. Meeting fellow airgun folks is THE way to enjoy the sport.
The TX is just about the easiest of all springers to work on, if you have any mechanical skills dont be afraid.
Now if you want to (remove stock and) ship it somewhere David Slade is very good but in TN.

Keep us posted.
John

Reactions: drpietrzak
If you did somehow fire it with the arm unlocked or not completely locked ( because of the dropped pellet ) The piston likely hammered the cylinder into the shoe... I would replace that shoe. Also check that your barrel sleeve has not moved forward... Look at the the joint between the sleeve and cylinder, should be no gap at all- if so it will cause weak lock up or allow the arm to drop. good luck.

PA out of stock right now?

UK out of stock too?

This one seems to be in stock.

Haven't ordered from Mundilar...let me know if this is legit and if the cocking shoes are in stock
--
edit
Joe K is a good guy. Smart too. He developed one of the early highly reliable PCP regulator. Good choice to go over the gun.

Last edited:
PA out of stock right now?

UK out of stock too?

This one seems to be in stock.

Haven't ordered from Mundilar...let me know if this is legit and if the cocking shoes are in stock
will likely just have Joe K in Vancouver check it our and fix what is needed…