Things to Keep in Mind When Posing Questions and Responses on AGN

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading AGN threads and elsewhere. Something that I have noticed on here is that as posters and respondents we tend to post from our experiences. I think it’s instinctive, if not reflexive and normal. However, what I notice that is lacking in some of our posts and replies are what type of shooters we are. When this information is lacking, some threads seem to turn into inadvertent pissing contests. Not necessarily because a member thinks they’re better than another, but - more often than not - due to differences in shooting styles. I see this as less of an issue with members who’ve been around for a while or those that post regularly. After establishing rapports with one another on the forums it’s a lot easier to notice or remember things like “oh @Flintsack. That’s that guy who shoots rifles 200-300 yards making it look easy.” Or “@Centercut is the completion benchrest guy who can talk about BCs in his sleep.”or “Yea. I agree. @L-Leon knows his Brococks.” Or “@Ezana4CE is the chatty hunter guy who likes hunting with the Lelya.”

What seems to happen is that when newer or infrequent members ask questions or comment, many times the questions or responses are somewhat vague or lack pertinent details. Questions like “What’s the best .22 pellet? What’s better, .22 or .25 caliber slugs? Which is better Daystate or FX?” When asking these types of questions it helps to let us know what it is that you’re trying to do. Are you an aspiring Field Target competitor? Are you a backyard plinker? Are you a retiree who enjoys going to the range with your buddies and shooting from the bench at 100 yards but don’t desire to compete? Are you primarily a hunter where you favor shooting squirrels within 60 yards? Are you a springer aficionado? The details of the questions affect the context. In my opinion they help garner better responses.

It isn’t too different when responding. I like to hunt. Often times my responses will come from the vantage point of a hunter if I’m not considering the context of the original poster before I reply. I’ve noticed this in countless threads. Statements like, “Daystates are the best because shooters using them win a lot of competitions.” or replies like “The Wildcat is the best bullpup.” It could be that the original poster isn’t looking to shoot from benchrest or enter competition. As a reader I t may be tough to understand why you think a Wildcat is best when we have no idea what else you’ve shot or why you have this opinion. Please keep in mind - we are not in your head. Furthermore, the word “best” is very subjective because we all tend to value the same objects (guns, pellets, scopes, bipods, etc) and the money we spend on them differently. When reading threads where people differ in opinions along these lines some folks can get real pissy. As a reader it often appears more as a difference of perspectives as opposed to a tangible or definite difference in value of the items being discussed. At least this is my impression when I’m able to read beneath the egos that sometimes emerge in replies.

When posting and responding to others think context. Also try not to allow your ego to overtake your sense of rationale and courtesy. Some of us are more curt than others, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re bad people. Some guys log in to AGN after having a bad day and others may have become jaded after putting months or years into competition or positively promoting and presenting airgunning to the public (which appears to be a labor of love) and people aren’t always appreciative or respectful of the work and experience gained. Some even come across as entitled asking off-the-wall questions or posting trolling comments. The point I’m making in this post is I’d like us to take a little more time to be more detailed in our questions and answers for the good of the airgun community. Also to be more tolerant of one another so that solutions can be hashed out before applicable and helpful information is posted when a thread is derailed. I’m not saying that we should entertain or tolerate BS. I just view AGN posts and threads as a library. AGN staff are not the sole librarians. That task falls upon us as all members of this community. When you type something others may come to AGN months to years later looking for help and information.

In sum, above all keep in mind the context of the post or question as well as the context of your response. Also be mindful of the subjectivity of the word “best” and think to ask other members for clarity and/or more details. It’s also a good idea to check your ego before posting. Things to think about before clicking the “submit” button.

Last edited:
i had a Air Gun God beat me down 3 or 4 time;s on here. I dont spell so good? he really got after me.A guy had a old 

Hammerly side leaver,he needed a part for and i was trying to covince him how to make the part and save the gun.Boy that got the airgun god really mad" so any hoot' i check back about a hour or so?guess what 3 or 4 guy jumped in his tihs and i got a apology in my e-mail on here"from him. Kinda like the old Yellow"

I'm not a "gun person". For me, guns are just tools. Like a hammer or a drill press. I don't do competitions. I don't even know the names of all the weird competitions, and what people consider best for all the odd sports associated with gun culture. 

So I find sometimes my questions get some "out of this world" answers. But IMO that's just par for the course. We live in a weird world, and people have their bubbles. We don't get to a "less bubbly" world without talking through the bubbles. 

Generally I find there's a good tolerance for completely divergent perspectives here.

"Details" is the key word.

To answer ANY question with somewhat of an accurate answer, as many "details" as possible are a requirement in the question. Not many of us has a working crystal ball !

BUT...this thread...will not be read (maybe 2%) by the folks that need to actually read it !

Mike

P.S. - It's not just this forum. Pick a subject,(cars, motorcycles, cameras, etc., etc.), go to that forum and start reading. The SAME problem exists all over the net, the questioners think that the commenters have...a working crystal ball ! I know that mine quit working a long time ago.

"Details" is the key word.

To answer ANY question with somewhat of an accurate answer, as many "details" as possible are a requirement in the question. Not many of us has a working crystal ball !

BUT...this thread...will not be read (maybe 2%) by the folks that need to actually read it !

Mike

P.S. - It's not just this forum. Pick a subject,(cars, motorcycles, cameras, etc., etc.), go to that forum and start reading. The SAME problem exists all over the net, the questioners think that the commenters have...a working crystal ball ! I know that mine quit working a long time ago.

But compared to a high-end audio forum, people here are quite flexible and understanding.

Okay, first of all @ezana4ce well said. Also, I know I have my opinions and what is best for me, may not be the best for you. Also, I try to base my opinion and observations etc off actual use of something aka experience using it before casting judgement.

I think and believe (maybe too simplistically) it comes down to is this, IMHO “There is no best, only advantages one way or another and it is what is best for you and your needs and abilities with the rest is up to you.” A tool is as only as good and the person that uses it, and refinement of the tool only makes with allows the user to be more refined. However, one thing to remember, the more refined something is the less forgiving it when a mistake is made.

Also remember it's good etiquette to delete pictures when you quote someone's post and even portions of their text when it's a long post and you're only replying to a specific part.

I've seen threads here with page after page of people quoting the same bunch of pictures and others quoting the quoted pictures. Makes the thread hard to follow. It only takes a few seconds to edit a quote before hitting SUBMIT and keep the forum neat.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading AGN threads and elsewhere. Something that I have noticed on here is that as posters and respondents we tend to post from our experiences. I think it’s instinctive, if not reflexive and normal. However, what I notice that is lacking in some of our posts and replies are what type of shooters we are. When this information is lacking, some threads seem to turn into inadvertent pissing contests. Not necessarily because a member thinks they’re better than another, but - more often than not - due to differences in shooting styles. I see this as less of an issue with members who’ve been around for a while or those that post regularly. After establishing rapports with one another on the forums it’s a lot easier to notice or remember things like “oh @Flintsack. That’s that guy who shoots rifles 200-300 yards making it look easy.” Or “@Centercut is the completion benchrest guy who can talk about BCs in his sleep.”or “Yea. I agree. @L-Leon knows his Brococks.” Or “@Ezana4CE is the chatty hunter guy who likes hunting with the Lelya.”

What seems to happen is that when newer or infrequent members ask questions or comment, many times the questions or responses are somewhat vague or lack pertinent details. Questions like “What’s the best .22 pellet? What’s better, .22 or .25 caliber slugs? Which is better Daystate or FX?” When asking these types of questions it helps to let us know what it is that you’re trying to do. Are you an aspiring Field Target competitor? Are you a backyard plinker? Are you a retiree who enjoys going to the range with your buddies and shooting from the bench at 100 yards but don’t desire to compete? Are you primarily a hunter where you favor shooting squirrels within 60 yards? Are you a springer aficionado? The details of the questions affect the context. In my opinion they help garner better responses.

It isn’t too different when responding. I like to hunt. Often times my responses will come from the vantage point of a hunter if I’m not considering the context of the original poster before I reply. I’ve noticed this in countless threads. Statements like, “Daystates are the best because shooters using them win a lot of competitions.” or replies like “The Wildcat is the best bullpup.” It could be that the original poster isn’t looking to shoot from benchrest or enter competition. As a reader I t may be tough to understand why you think a Wildcat is best when we have no idea what else you’ve shot or why you have this opinion. Please keep in mind - we are not in your head. Furthermore, the word “best” is very subjective because we all tend to value the same objects (guns, pellets, scopes, bipods, etc) and the money we spend on them differently. When reading threads where people differ in opinions along these lines some folks can get real pissy. As a reader it often appears more as a difference of perspectives as opposed to a tangible or definite difference in value of the items being discussed. At least this is my impression when I’m able to read beneath the egos that sometimes emerge in replies.

When posting and responding to others think context. Also try not to allow your ego to overtake your sense of rationale and courtesy. Some of us are more curt than others, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re bad people. Some guys log in to AGN after having a bad day and others may have become jaded after putting months or years into competition or positively promoting and presenting airgunning to the public (which appears to be a labor of love) and people aren’t always appreciative or respectful of the work and experience gained. Some even come across as entitled asking off-the-wall questions or posting trolling comments. The point I’m making in this post is I’d like us to take a little more time to be more detailed in our questions and answers for the good of the airgun community. Also to be more tolerant of one another so that solutions can be hashed out before applicable and helpful information is posted when a thread is derailed. I’m not saying that we should entertain or tolerate BS. I just view AGN posts and threads as a library. AGN staff are not the sole librarians. That task falls upon us as all members of this community. When you type something others may come to AGN months to years later looking for help and information.

In sum, above all keep in mind the context of the post or question as well as the context of your response. Also be mindful of the subjectivity of the word “best” and think to ask other members for clarity and/or more details. It’s also a good idea to check your ego before posting. Things to think about before clicking the “submit” button.
Many good points and well said.

I'm sure the OPs points are valid and well stated. But I've gone back a third time and I'm not through it yet. I guess I just have a short attention span, but I tend to give up on such a lengthy post. I worked in a corporate environment, back in the day of memos! My favorite boss told me, "anything over one double-spaced page is wasted effort".

I apologize for detracting from what is probably a very good post.