Theyre getting comfortable

Since it's the off season, and the garden isn't going yet, I have laid off the squirrels save for one that got in the chicken feeder.

This guy has been living in my maple tree, so I've been leaving out extra sunflower seeds and dried corn. Figure I can fatten him up, and maybe he'll tell his buddies where the good stuff is!

1000007013.jpg

I was maybe 10 feet away. He didn't even flinch when i walked over. Looks young too.

Better watch it, eight years ago a squirrel showed up in my yard and I put feed and water out for him hoping he would reproduce and I would have many many squirrels in my yard, Well didn't turn out very good, I get up to three of four , and that's the most and there my pets now, I hand feed them apples and put out feed for them 24/7 even build a house for them, But they do not use it yet,, Wife has them named them,
This is Marty in the picture
IMG_2092.JPG

I used to have "trained" squirrels in my yard. From 15 yards away on a fence I would tap on the window and they would run over to eat nuts off the palms of my hand. On day my young son was feeding them incorrectly and got bitten on the finger. My wife was concerned about rabies so he got a rabies shot that were not covered by insurance more than 2K! The doc told us they hasn't been any reported cases of catching rabies from squirrels in the USA so the shot were not needed.

Last edited:
I wish they would get comfortable coming into my yard. They bark a lot when I step outside. They can be as comfortable as they like until the season opens again. The red chewy fox squirrels can stay away. I don’t really care for them. Their fur gets all over the meat when skinning them too.

Last edited:
Well I may have to offer my air rifle services to a neighbor down the street. He has one in his attic. He cut down all the trees around his house hoping they would move. They moved all right. Now he has to residing the house. One expensive squirrel. He feeds birds so I am sure they are attracted to his feeders. He tried shooting some with his pellet gun but got nasty looks from the neighbors. I told him I would park the truck out front with the side window down and no one would know I was there. My silenced dreamtac would do the trick undetected vs his most likely loud break barrel that he has.

Better watch it, eight years ago a squirrel showed up in my yard and I put feed and water out for him hoping he would reproduce and I would have many many squirrels in my yard, Well didn't turn out very good, I get up to three of four , and that's the most and there my pets now, I hand feed them apples and put out feed for them 24/7 even build a house for them, But they do not use it yet,, Wife has them named them,
This is Marty in the pictureView attachment 455700
I have one gray that hangs around that has a longer tail than usual and the tail is bushy red. Looks like a hybrid like more nothing from me. He gets a pass every time. The one in the picture won't be around much longer lol.

Between them and the northern flickers and downy wood peckers, my last maple is about done. Had it topped about 5 years ago, and all the limb stumps are getting hollowed out by the birds, and then squirrels and starlings make nests in there which rots the wood from all their urine and crap.

Reactions: airgunmike56
Well I may have to offer my air rifle services to a neighbor down the street. He has one in his attic. He cut down all the trees around his house hoping they would move. They moved all right. Now he has to residing the house. One expensive squirrel. He feeds birds so I am sure they are attracted to his feeders. He tried shooting some with his pellet gun but got nasty looks from the neighbors. I told him I would park the truck out front with the side window down and no one would know I was there. My silenced dreamtac would do the trick undetected vs his most likely loud break barrel that he has.
We had a family of black squirrels in our attic when I was around 8 or so. We hadn't lived at this place long, and after we settled in good, they started to move around. They had chewed into the stud bays too, so you'd hear them in the walls.

My dad went up into the attic and scanned around with his flash light and said one came charging and barking at him. He said "Nope! I seen at least 3 big ones up there!"

He called an exterminator lol.

yall just need to pay a John Deere dealer $5700 to replace a wiring harness and re-learn the main control ECM
after them purdy'lil tree rats ate the harness up on my 2022 5065E !!!
they dont thrive here !! 🧑‍🌾
One chewed on the alternator wires in my 1992 chevy S10 back when I was a teen. Crawled up in there to stay warm I guess got bored and went to town. That was a much cheaper fix!

Reactions: gendoc
Since it's the off season, and the garden isn't going yet, I have laid off the squirrels save for one that got in the chicken feeder.

This guy has been living in my maple tree, so I've been leaving out extra sunflower seeds and dried corn. Figure I can fatten him up, and maybe he'll tell his buddies where the good stuff is!

View attachment 455697

I was maybe 10 feet away. He didn't even flinch when i walked over. Looks young too.
Young and dumb, we've all been there.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
One chewed on the alternator wires in my 1992 chevy S10 back when I was a teen. Crawled up in there to stay warm I guess got bored and went to town. That was a much cheaper fix!
Squirrels have to chew to keep their front teeth down other wise they grow too big and they starve. It's our duty to make sure they don't starve to death.

I had bad experience with Squirrels.
Chew up the wires in my wife's SUV the dealers had to replace the full harness. And not ones, they going back by a smell. The lates was two years ago wife's SUV stopped on a busy Hwy and was totalled.
I have walnut trees in my backyard, Aug month is a pre harvest season. Every afternoon I got home from work a big pile of mess under the trees, I clean the floor tomorrow again... the hordes are capable of chewing all the trees in a week time if you don't resist. Those 3 months over summer I have a huge problem where or how to recycle. The cats waiting for me under the tree me to finish my morning coffee and the rodeo starts :)

Reactions: gendoc