They’re Back!! The Magic Beans!!

JSB, VORTEX & FX 44.75 gr pellets are identical in weight, size & shape according to my measurements. I prefer Vortex because they're cheaper. All 3, otherwise, shoot EXACTLY the same out of my Boss. Augie, do you find a variation in accuracy with your Cat?

Good point Gerry, agree 100%. No difference at all in Vulcan2 .30, FX Bobcat or Impact. The only difference is that the Vortex have been much cheaper at times...

@molder, Yes they are from the NOE 300-46-RF-CC4 4 cavity brass mold.

These ~ 1,300 count came in at an average of 47.10gr using a 2.5% tin mix. The weight range was 46.60gr to 47.60gr for the pile baked at 735°. You have to get the mold up to around 360° to achieve a .300" diameter. They are a lot easier to achieve a .299" diameter for even sizing.

Today a tried some .300"s and some .299"s out of a 700mm Slug A liner at various speeds up to 890 FPS. The higher speeds with the .300" diameters did the best, but the .299" did equally as well in the 830 to 850s. Next I will test them in the 700mm STX liner, which I have now installed.

Very nice i have the NOE .25 cal 4 cavity brass mold and am looking at getting a slug swaging setup as well.

I would like a .30 cal slug mold other than those NOE BBTs I dislike. I tried a BBT in .25 cal with dismal results no matter what I tried, but it wasn't the HP version.

I do have the NOE 249-39-E6 4 cavity RG4 PB as well, but I haven't got it to cooperate like I want with the Superior liner just yet. However, I have exploded a number of small dried Halo tangerines at 75 yards with them. Nothing but fragments of Halo left. I think it's too small in diameter? I may try smashing some using a top punch on the drill press to make them fatter at some point. Paper targets are always the worse, lol.

I would like a swaging setup, but it would be hard to swallow all of the coins that would need swallowing for that setup.

gmiestore.com has a nice set up ive been looking at, they have a video on Youtube for the 30 cal they have a link to it in their form section under general discussions SOC die demonstration in .30 cal is the youbube title

Thanks, I just watched the video...Very interesting. A little on the heavy side, but many comments from them about custom weights and working with you. I would like to also be able to cast my on plugs if I could find such a mold. Part of my fun in casting is being able to reclaim a good portion of the lead.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I contacted Hatsan and asked to verify if the vortex supremes in 30 cal were making a comeback, and they said they are not. They were just selling off the remains of their old stock the day I received the email notification. 

At Gerry- the vortex pellets have always shot well out of my wildcat. Just straight out of the tin, no washing, lube, sorting they shot well. Now that I sort and weigh, they shoot amazing. What I liked about them is during the weighing process at most I had 3 to 4 different weight variations in a tin, but was guaranteed to have enough consistency in which one of the 4 tins I used for sorting had a lot of consistent pellets. The other three were used mainly for initial sight in pellets, or chronograph testing of a gun prior to disassembly.

With the JSB 44.75, I had up to 6 different weight variations, and the different weights were spread out evenly, so in 6 sorting tins I may have 20 in one, 15, in another, 25 in another, etc. So I could never get one tin with enough pellets to do an hours worth of shooting. 

These groups are while testing different speeds with the latest NOE .30 cal cast pellets pictured above. It looks like the 840's and the 890's are the best harmonic speeds. It seems they like to open up in-between those speeds. These were shot at 30 yards in very gusty winds, but I do believe these are the speeds to focus on. All were sized to .299" and weighed 46.9xgr. Shot using the 700mm STX liner.

.30 cal test STX 12-21-20.1608660206.jpg