• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

They almost made it legal...

I lived in Illinois for 61 years. As previously posted, because of the flat terrain and dense population in the northern regions, I was forced to hunt squirrels with a shotgun. Some years ago with the help of many sportsmen and hunt clubs, certain areas were deemed safe to hunt with .22 rimfire rifles. (Hilly terrain) Those same areas now allow hunting squirrels, specifically, with air rifles not to exceed .25 caliber. Unfortunately for me those state I parks were all 2 hours or more away. In 2021 we moved to coastal NC and I have a 30 minute drive to a national forest. Also, the laws only specify .22 caliber. I have met hunters using .223 for squirrels, deer, and hogs. Yea, a .223 for squirrels and I'm out there with a 15 fpe air rifle.

• Wow
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Born and lived in Chicago for 42 years, in IL for 59 years. Like many others, I left. I understand your pain.
I don't even drive through Illinois on my way elsewhere... I don't want their state, I don't want their taxes, and they can't have my time or Money... It's a long way around, but Oh well!

• Wow
Reactions: L.Leon and fahjr56
This says nothing about air rifles it specifies bottleneck and straight wall ammo
It specifies CENTER FIRE ammo. The Illinois government, just looks for reasons to be able to disarm the public.Changing every lawless infraction from a misdemeanor to a felony, legally disarms lots of people every year, unless you have deep pockets full of 100.00$ bills. I wouldn't take that chance, but then again I don't live in Illinois.

So I did a little research and found this
Illinois Airgun Laws and Hunting Regulations
COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS – Laws Pertaining To Airguns
No listed air-gun ordinances. *(State laws & city-wide ordinances may apply throughout County)
So much grey in this area legal ??? illegal most likely they would find a loophole to slap the cuffs on you if you live here

430 ILCS 65/Firearm owners ID card act

The way I read it say everything is a firearm unless it is lees than .18 or under 700fps

Or is it saying a 22 less than 700 is ok? Or is the word globular key, making all pellet pushers a firearm?

But then they like to write things in a way that gives them an out.

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or​
B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second​

Based on that verbiage, if you double load and therefore aren’t expelling a single projectile, you should be in the clear. But moreover, the unfathomable aspect of this is that many countries, like the UK, have worked out how to establish constraints that the citizens understand. One only needs to cut and paste, but I guess that involves less wasted $$$.

Reactions: Struckat
Politics is a sport that is played by two opponents in which they pit the audience against one another.

-CB
Not really, the politicians we expect to be somewhat dirty… I blame the mindless voters who keep voting in the same ruinous bozos… they ruin your way of life? Yet they keep getting the your votes?

OP and FOID card carrier here, they're a little back logged, lol.

As an aside, it's obviously not clear what is/isn't considered a firearm in this state.
I bought a .25 Avenger a year ago, which required an FFL transfer.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I just got a .22 Notos shipped straight to my door w/o an FFL transfer?! Huh?

All I can figure is the Notos is advertised at 700fps max(which is total BS) so they slip under the greater than .18 but under the 700fps?

OP and FOID card carrier here, they're a little back logged, lol.

As an aside, it's obviously not clear what is/isn't considered a firearm in this state.
I bought a .25 Avenger a year ago, which required an FFL transfer.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I just got a .22 Notos shipped straight to my door w/o an FFL transfer?! Huh?

All I can figure is the Notos is advertised at 700fps max(which is total BS) so they slip under the greater than .18 but under the 700fps?
my Notos from Utah air was shipped to a FFl transfer 38 miles one way from me only cost me $ 20 for the transfer + my gas , but a met a nice dealer that helped me with info about renewing my Foid card..

my Notos from Utah air was shipped to a FFl transfer 38 miles one way from me only cost me $ 20 for the transfer + my gas , but a met a nice dealer that helped me with info about renewing my Foid card..
Go figure.
When I ordered the Notos from Pyramid I asked if it needed an FFL transfer and they said it ships straight to your door. Which it did.
When I got the Avenger from Pyramid I had to go to the FFL twice, once to fill out paperwork and 3 days later after my background check cleared. He was amazed he was dealing with an airgun.
When I got my Hatsan .25 that also shipped straight to my door from Airgun Depot.

Reactions: RAMJET66