These things are challenging

These regular HP slugs are just spectacular out of this current setup. This mouse was under my 70 yard pine. Gun was sitting two days cold shot. Was shooting the original HP over the weekend at 135 yards and they were spot on. May have to sacrifice some expansion compared to the HP2 and just stick with sheer accuracy. They will probably quit making them. Probably already did.

IMG_5833.jpeg

These regular HP slugs are just spectacular out of this current setup. This mouse was under my 70 yard pine. Gun was sitting two days cold shot. Was shooting the original HP over the weekend at 135 yards and they were spot on. May have to sacrifice some expansion compared to the HP2 and just stick with sheer accuracy. They will probably quit making them. Probably already did.

View attachment 449788
That is some serious hardware over that little Monster… Good shooting on your part, had you missed? We would be probably reading your obituary…🤓🙏

That is some serious hardware over that little Monster… Good shooting on your part, had you missed? We would be probably reading your obituary…🤓🙏
Yes, slugs and a gun setup worth as much as a cheap car is extreme for mice and moles. But they are good for real world three dimensional testing. Then I’m confident taking game or just bigger animals. Tiny little skittish critters build confidence. When you dial for a mouse at 70 yards, there’s no margin for error.

Reactions: L.Leon and qball
I don’t normally don’t post on the hunting forum, but I wanted to tell a funny story.

I have a real problem with squirrels red and fox. (I am in Mi.) and Crows in fall and winter especially, anyway I have been shooting these squirrels for many years on my property out to about 60 yds. One day in early winter I had been shooting some BR and had some flags out saw a fox squirrel and decided he needed to go, did him in and all good now these flags will attract a crow or two and they saw the dead squirrel and took advantage. So I decided to take advantage of this opportunity and shot a crow ( only get one shot no matter how many crows are on the ground).

Here comes the funny part… one dead crow setting on the ground triggers the crow’s to send a distress call and the next thing I knew I now have probably 50 crows in the trees behind me making more noise than I could Imagine, so now my neighbor’s are real curious why all this racket is and so I smartly decided to dispose of this crow while seriously getting dive bombed by some really mad crow’s! Moral of the story “DON’T LEAVE A DEAD CROW LAYING ON THE GROUND”. (Sorry if I took this thread of topic don’t really know why this post triggered that memory?)

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I don’t normally don’t post on the hunting forum, but I wanted to tell a funny story.

I have a real problem with squirrels red and fox. (I am in Mi.) and Crows in fall and winter especially, anyway I have been shooting these squirrels for many years on my property out to about 60 yds. One day in early winter I had been shooting some BR and had some flags out saw a fox squirrel and decided he needed to go, did him in and all good now these flags will attract a crow or two and they saw the dead squirrel and took advantage. So I decided to take advantage of this opportunity and shot a crow ( only get one shot no matter how many crows are on the ground).

Here comes the funny part… one dead crow setting on the ground triggers the crow’s to send a distress call and the next thing I knew I now have probably 50 crows in the trees behind me making more noise than I could Imagine, so now my neighbor’s are real curious why all this racket is and so I smartly decided to dispose of this crow while seriously getting dive bombed by some really mad crow’s! Moral of the story “DON’T LEAVE A DEAD CROW LAYING ON THE GROUND”. (Sorry if I took this thread of topic don’t really know why this post triggered that memory?)
A real easy way to get rid of crows, or at least get them to go elsewhere, give them a dose of a green laser, they don't like it and will leave you alone for quite a while, you may have to reinforce your request to vacate on occasion but it's effective.

Thanks. I’ll just have to test them out on some little unfortunate soul. Or get to test the HP2 at distance if the weather ever cooperates.

Based on the post they stopped producing the original ones but I remember gherald making a video showing the difference in expansion between the hp and hp2 in one of his videos

I did a test with .22 H&N 25g slugs at 920fps into a expired can of hash VS .177 jsb 10.3g round nose @ 890 fps the can was shot at around 30 yards. Believe it or not but the .177 actually did more damage. I did take some pics . The slug was pass throughs both side to side and end to end with minimal damage. The .177 left larger exit holes on the side to side and stayed in the can end to end with some deep dents .

20240404_154753.jpg20240404_154822.jpg20240404_154836.jpg20240404_154842.jpg20240404_154856.jpg20240404_154907.jpg