These things are challenging

I get a couple moles a year. They are tough because you have to time them. This guy was in my woodpile at 40 yards. No reflective eyes to catch your attention. Just a little black thing slithering in and out of logs. I noticed it was setting a pattern and would hesitate before it would either fall or jump down to the ground. I waited until my NV was about to make me go blind. I was focused on his diving board as I saw him slithering in and out of logs headed for his launch spot. When it got there I squeezed and heard a substantial pop. Nailed it with a .25 30gr H&N slug.

I was going to start a topic about H&N slugs because I never used them for hunting. I know they shoot well out of this gun but I don’t know how they perform on animals. I always thought H&N pellets were a little on the hard side so I was curious about the slugs and if they expand on animals. This kill gives me no data other than they are accurate. If anyone has used H&N slugs, please chime in.

IMG_5800.jpeg

I get a couple moles a year. They are tough because you have to time them. This guy was in my woodpile at 40 yards. No reflective eyes to catch your attention. Just a little black thing slithering in and out of logs. I noticed it was setting a pattern and would hesitate before it would either fall or jump down to the ground. I waited until my NV was about to make me go blind. I was focused on his diving board as I saw him slithering in and out of logs headed for his launch spot. When it got there I squeezed and heard a substantial pop. Nailed it with a .25 30gr H&N slug.

I was going to start a topic about H&N slugs because I never used them for hunting. I know they shoot well out of this gun but I don’t know how they perform on animals. I always thought H&N pellets were a little on the hard side so I was curious about the slugs and if they expand on animals. This kill gives me no data other than they are accurate. If anyone has used H&N slugs, please chime in.

View attachment 445450
By the looks of it the mole looks like it is in pieces. Also did you use the newer H&N HP2?

I've used H&N HP slugs in 28gr. I agree they are accurate and deadly but I've never once recovered one from a kill. They always pass through and kill whatever squirrel is in the way!
I had four 28gr H&N slugs left, I loaded them into a magazine with the rest being FX Hybrids(26gr). I hit the same 1 3/4" spinner @ 75yds the whole way through the magazine. I was not expecting that.
I'd like to try the Heavy and HP2 slugs as well now that it's time to re-stock.

This beauty sitting above my spinner has killed moles in the daytime. I watched it last fall jump down from that perch after I took its pic and stab one to death with his talon. Kinda one of those moments you are grateful to see, then I killed him. Just kidding. I’ve had him here five years now and am curious how long he will live or at least keep this as part of his or her hunting grounds.

IMG_5039.jpeg

Oh, this is something crazy. My last hawk here was doing great for several years. One day my buddy flagged me down while I was cutting grass. He was yelling and waving but I couldn’t hear him so I rode down to his house. He said a hawk landed on top of the telephone pole by his garage and somehow managed to arc out and explode. There were guts and feathers all around the pole. About a year or two later a new hawk showed up.

Reactions: Impact701
@Impact701, I don’t know what kind of expansion I’m going to get at 905fps. Whats interesting is I’m shooting them on my Zan 30gr tune and the Zans are closer to 920fps. The H&N’s must have more engagement. My neighbor stopped yesterday and said he has another red squirrel going in and out of his pool house. So hopefully I’ll get to test a H&N soon.

@Impact701, I don’t know what kind of expansion I’m going to get at 905fps. Whats interesting is I’m shooting them on my Zan 30gr tune and the Zans are closer to 920fps. The H&N’s must have more engagement. My neighbor stopped yesterday and said he has another red squirrel going in and out of his pool house. So hopefully I’ll get to test a H&N soon.
That little gopher was hit with only 915 fps.
That red squirrel pool house invader is gunna be toast !
I'll be interesting in seeing the results !

I hate moles, in my neck of the wood, they burrow close to the surface of the lawn. I trap about 1/2 dozen a year.

Nice patience there with your FX!

Nice!

This gal or guy has been taking care of the moles in my yard

My JRT gets them, but she digs up trenches in the process.

i need both of them on my side...i've got moles bad.
earlier gotta tip on a wire-tek trap, going to try a couple and see how they do..... :sneaky:

That little gopher was hit with only 915 fps.
That red squirrel pool house invader is gunna be toast !
I'll be interesting in seeing the results !
You were correct. I shot this red with a HP 2. Now I need to shoot something this size or bigger with a regular HP to see if expansion is the same. The HP and HP 2 slugs in the same weight are different but for now they seem to shoot the same. I really need better weather to confirm this before I commit to which one I buy more of.

IMG_5821.jpeg

You were correct. I shot this red with a HP 2. Now I need to shoot something this size or bigger with a regular HP to see if expansion is the same. The HP and HP 2 slugs in the same weight are different but for now they seem to shoot the same. I really need better weather to confirm this before I commit to which one I buy more of.

View attachment 448131
Awsome ! Those HP 2 have serious expansion !
Thanks for sharing !