Thermal Scope Recommendations

I have a ts25-256 and honestly my biggest complaint is the base zoom is too much for airgun ranges. While more resolution is always better I have still spotted a butterfly at 100 yds ( its a matter of pixles at that point) really for close in work you dont NEED high res.
But yeah, agm is probably the way to go for cost/performance .

What is your desired budget? It will be hard to beat the agm from the price to perform. I run pulsar but the agm seems to makes good scopes for the money. I would recommend buying new or used with a decent amount of the warranty left. Last thing you want it to try and save a few hundred and lose out on a nice chuxk of your warranty. Now warranty periods can reach as high as 10 years depending on brand but 3-5 years is typical. Hope you have fun! It's a hell of a rabbit hole to go down. I agree with the guy that said nothing less than 320 resolution sensor. If you are trying to shoot mice at 75 yards the extra base mag is worth it but if you are real close range most of the time meaning inside 35 yards you will want lower base mag for the bigger fov.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@easyridemm I think it’s worth seriously considering the climate in your region before making $2k+ investment on a thermal optic. If you have high humidity, I suggest looking into a Pulsar unit. I have no experience with Bering Optics. If my meomory serves me, Bering uses Infiray/Iray sensors. From my experience I’d advise that you look beyond AGM products if dealing with high humidity. As I said before, there’s some good information in older AGN threads on thermal optics.

Reactions: killahog
I own an AGM Rattler TC35-384 clip-on. I've had this unit about three months now and absolutely love it. I use it as handheld right now primarily for raccoons and squirrels and the occasional alligator that pops up in my yard. When I spot my quarry, I install the clip-on onto my scoped PCP air rifle, which takes about 6-seconds and dispatch the varmints. My range is generally between 40 and 70 yards for the small critters. I plan to put the thermal onto larger caliber guns for pig hunting. I do live in Florida and it does get humid here. That was a concern for one of the other respondents, however I have not experienced any difficulties with the humidity thus far, but if I do have a problem with it I will let you know.

Opticsplanet has ATN OPMOD Thor LT 3-6 160x120 with the QD mount for 740.99. Heck of a deal. I see everyone saying to go 320 or higher. The reviews on amazon and opticasplanet for this version are 4 out of 5. I would only be under 100 yards and mostly between 30-50. I want to say I am going to pull the trigger. I have their ATN OPMOD x sight 4k 3-14 and have nothing but good things to say. I am more worried about the 160x120 than the brand name. I still think for that price and getting the QD mount which is normally $100 alone is a great deal for a budget thermal.

I would like some advice and input on a thermal scope for night varmint hunting. I will be shooting no further than 75 yards. I do not need to record. I would like the clearest picture at the best price. I would appreciate any recommendation. Thanks in advance.

Budget is #1 for a clearest picture at the best price question. For a 75 yard max range, I wouldn't go over 2.5x base mag and lower would be better. Personally I'd buy a Pulsar Thermion XQ35 (384/2.5x), XP50 (640/2x) or if budget allows...XL50 (1024/1.75x).

Last edited:
What is the budget? I’ve owned Bering,pulsar,iray, and agm. For me iray and pulsar are top(for my budget) then Bering then agm. I have heard the adder from agm is pretty good. The super yoter from Bering is pretty nice.

Im running a Iray bolt 50 v1 buck at 75 yards, my biggest complaint is the base 3.5x mag. It is a double edged sword, smaller FOV but helps with detail
IMG_3324.jpeg

Reactions: Hal4son
I’m also running a pulsar telos lrf and my biggest complaint with it is the range finder is slow. I have to remind myself that I’m not using my sig which ranges almost instantly. This is a deer at 129 yards in high humidity the eyepiece looks better on both of my units than the pics. I’m very impressed with how fast the telos fires up and the image isn’t as jittery when panning like some of the others I have owned.
IMG_3356.png

I'm thinking of getting an ATN thor 5 but I don't know if it's worth the extra $1000 to get the higher resolution model. Anyone that's used both have any opinion? Does the extra pixel count make a huge difference? I really only care about 100 yards or closer.
After doing some additional research, I decided to get the ATN THOR 4 640 2.5-25x instead of the THOR 5 2-20x. The biggest reason is the 12nm process node may not have the same dynamic range as the older 17nm process node. Take a look at this video from Pulsar, as why the 12nm process node may have some drawbacks.

After doing some additional research, I decided to get the ATN THOR 4 640 2.5-25x instead of the THOR 5 2-20x. The biggest reason is the 12nm process node may not have the same dynamic range as the older 17nm process node. Take a look at this video from Pulsar, as why the 12nm process node may have some drawbacks.
not sure where you picked up the term "process node", it is clear you are referring to the size of each individual receptor on the thermal core which is referred to as the pixel pitch of the core. I got half way through the video you linked before I had to stop, too much marketing BS, and a few pure half-truths(lies). Claiming a 17 micron pitch core will always have more sensistivity is a total lie, 1000000% untrue. When 12 micron cores first came out, it was kind of most of the time but not always true, but no longer. There are 12 micron cores that have sensitivity (NETD) of < 20mk, there may be a 17 micron core that good, I have never heard of one. Compare NETD spec of cores, not pixel pitch for sensitivity. Research and improvement follows the money, 12 micron cores (and the next thing on the horizon) are where that money goes, 17 micron cores aren't ever going to get much better because the R&D dollars all go to the 12 micron cores now, and due to the wavelength of light they use that size will not get smaller, it is already theoretically slighly smaller than some of the wavelengths uncooled thermals use, can't go smaller without making some compromises. As far as image presented on the view screen, that depends on the entire system from the lens to the core to the chips processing power, the software, and the display. Everything affects the final image.

And like everyone else, the presenter kept harping on humidity, totally usesless number when talking about thermal capability of any device. Water is the enemy, and humidity does not tell you how much water is between the thermal device and target. Dewpoint tells you how much water by mass is in a given volume of air. Some of the best thermal images I have with my Trijicon are in near 100% humidity (gasp). The dewpoint was in the teens F, needless to say so was the temperature. That same exact air with every single molecule of water still in it warmed to nearly 80 degrees F would be less than 10% humidity. Humidity is bs when talking about thermal devices. Mass of water in a given volume of air is what causes problems, have a dewpoint of 65 and it wouldn't matter if the temp was 66 or 100, the thermal image would be just as bad at both temps with a dewpoint of 65 since there would be the same mass of water in the same volume of air, and at 65 dewpoint that is a lot of water. If everything in two thermals was identical except the cores, the one with the smallest NETD could look better if the difference was significant for the conditions. But everything is not always equal, different lenses, different chipsets, different software and a core with a much worse NETD could look better by far than one with a super low NETD. it's all relative.