Thermal Optics for Hunting

Well thermtec is out of the picture for a bit. Local dealer was going to be the importer, apparently he is having a dispute with the manufacturer.
Definitely find a dealer and go look, everyone’s eyes are different, I just went to an iray bolt 50c. I was going to upgrade to a super yoter but made the mistake of looking through the bolt. Deer at 125 yards
6EBDCA9C-2BC4-4A13-96FD-5EC539C27445.jpeg

in the following link is a list of terms and definitions commonly associated with thermal imaging devices and their features. If this is all new to you, it should be helpful. The guys that composed this list sell thermal and night vision optics. It’s their niche.

in the following link is a list of terms and definitions commonly associated with thermal imaging devices and their features. If this is all new to you, it should be helpful. The guys that composed this list sell thermal and night vision optics. It’s their niche.

Outdoorlegacy has some useful information. I wish their Youtube channel was more than just those two guys chatting. They'd likely sell considerably more gear if they showed their products and compared them.

Since starting this thread I have used an AGM Asp Micro TM160 256 monocular and an AGM Rattler TS35-384 thermal riflescope. Here are few images.

Asp Micro TM160 256:

Horse at 35-40 yards using black hot mode.
Horse at 35-40 yds black hot.JPG

Horse from around 65-70 yards using black hot mode
Horse @ APPROX 65-70 yds.JPG

Horse from 45-50 yards using fusion mode and 2x zoom. I've been told that each time you use digital zoom on one of these units you essentially halve the quality of the image resolution.
Horse investigating night   stand in open pasture  approx 40-45yds fusion.JPG

AGM Rattler TS35-384 thermal riflescope:

Rabbit bedded in brush from about 15-20 yards using white hot mode from the scope's base magnification.
Rabbit 15 yds with 384 Rattler.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Macros
@Cranky1 That’s a good quality image. Looks like you got busted too.
He busted me after I watched him for about 5min. I’ve got a breading pair and enjoy watching them, I’ve had a bobcat at or under 50 yards a couple times. I’m just after yotes and Dillos, got a dillo at 75 yards with a 93grain nsa. I wish I videoed that shot.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
He busted me after I watched him for about 5min. I’ve got a breading pair and enjoy watching them, I’ve had a bobcat at or under 50 yards a couple times. I’m just after yotes and Dillos, got a dillo at 75 yards with a 93grain nsa. I wish I videoed that shot.
@Cranky1 You’ve got a breeding pair and you haven’t killed the bitch yet? No opportunities or what?

@Cranky1 You’ve got a breeding pair and you haven’t killed the bitch yet? No opportunities or what?
We see them pretty often, the wife likes seeing them. Last year I had the male walk within 10ft of me. Honestly we both like seeing them and they aren’t causing trouble for us. The coyotes were after my dog so they needed to go

Cranky1, How close can the Bolt focus? Will it pick up small mice from 5 to 7 yards with similar clarity as the fox?

I have the Rico RH50 from IRay. Minimum focus distance seems to be about 8-10 yards, at least, for crisp focus. At 6 yards it's not horribly out of focus.

It looks like the Rico and Bolt are more or less the same, but the Bolt is designed to look more like a traditional scope, with the RICO happy to be boxy. Optical magnification is a little less on the Rico.

Reactions: SlimPlinkins
Thanks delooper. Did you have a chance to try the TH 50 C Bolt before you chose the Rico RH 50? Or were there features on the Rico that you helped you decide?
I do like how the bolt can pass for a “regular” scope, other than that, I’m wondering how one would choose between the two. The Rico may be a little more expensive, but not by much… 3.5x vs 3x base..