• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

There's nothing like a Diabolo pellet

I'm mostly happy with pellets, it's what I will shoot in my PCP's at normal distances.

At some point I want to experiment with slugs for benchrest and long range. The slugs I've shot so far, and seen in some friends guns, exhibit large flyers, except in the Thomas HPX using proprietary swaged slugs, which is what I'm aiming at - pun intended.

Sounds like someone needs to do a better job cleaning their barrel and or checking pellet deformity.

I've won state matches in FT with my USFT, not having cleaned it in years, including a bunch of monthly wins, this was with JSB 10.3 gr pellets, just saying. See this is one gun I won't be shooting slugs out of. Of course if I see a screwed up pellet I toss it.

Mike N has all the high scores at 50Y and 100Y in the BR forum and he rarely cleans barrels, just sayin. Heck he shoots pellets right out of the tin too. As far as slugs, he's figured "IT" out. 

The general use of slugs can and probably will open a can of worms in new government regulations. Their use will be abused. All it takes is a few assholes to ruin the scene for everyone. Pellets have their place as they slow and fall away rapidly and are much safer to shoot in confined or populated spaces. It is irresponsible to use slugs in these backyard or close environments. I am happy to say that my Crown, with the new Superior Heavy barrel shoots the JSB KO slug equally as well as the JSB 34 gr Exact Heavy pellet with the same settings. Quite amazing actually.

To me, this is the beauty of air guns. They can fit anything you want. If you are shooting in the backyard, shoot a lighter pellet at lower power. If you want to go long distance, go slugs and up the power. Many of the guns have the adjustability to this. Or you get 2 guns, dedicated pellet gun and a dedicated slug gun. Again, this is the beauty of the air gun world in my opinion.

The general use of slugs can and probably will open a can of worms in new government regulations. Their use will be abused. All it takes is a few assholes to ruin the scene for everyone. Pellets have their place as they slow and fall away rapidly and are much safer to shoot in confined or populated spaces. It is irresponsible to use slugs in these backyard or close environments. I am happy to say that my Crown, with the new Superior Heavy barrel shoots the JSB KO slug equally as well as the JSB 34 gr Exact Heavy pellet with the same settings. Quite amazing actually.

Probably if too many idiots shoot birds off the wires or from rooftops in their residential neighborhoods not realizing how far the slugs travel and the retained energy they still have like shooting 22 Shorts or 22LR subsonic in your residential back yard..

With having upped my personal best with 175 & 178 yard clean kills (JSB 44.75 gr.) using Diabolo pellets I've lost my slug curiosity. Pellets can be amazingly accurate and effective. Maybe, some day I'll have a slug dedicated gun but for now I'm a happy camper. Stay safe out there!

Wow thats some mighty fine shooting there Gerry52! I remember watching Ted's old video's whacking pigeons at 100+ yards in 20-30mph cross winds on top of a silos at that. I say keep the "slugs" in the shot guns, or the end of a fishing line. Jmo!

Pellets have their place as they slow and fall away rapidly and are much safer to shoot in confined or populated spaces. It is irresponsible to use slugs in these backyard or close environments.

[...] idiots [...] not realizing how far the slugs travel and the retained energy they still have like shooting 22 Shorts or 22LR subsonic in your residential back yard.

Yupp, agreed! I got really scared when I ran the ballistics! 

I find a high BC highly attractive, but many of my shots are high — and I can't afford the occasional miss to rain down half a mile away — with enough residual power left to kill a small animal (or do damage to something or someone else!)! 😲 

Pellets when fired steeper than a fairly shallow angle just don't do that, thanks to their low BC.

Still lovin' slugs...! Got to find me some quarry that doesn't have a whole city behind them....! 😄

Matthias

I really like perfect low velocity Sub 10-12fpe pellet shooting combos do in the back yard you shoot your critter the pellet stays in your game so there's no ricochet going who knows where or pass through that can leave any pellet evidence anywhere. A 2.5fpe 400fps target pistol good for up to 20 yards shooting 7.4gr Crosman pointeds yards lead stays inside flesh no flutter just DRT.

I have found 6.5 - 7fpe 630fps at the muzzle is good at up to 55 yards same 7.4gr Crosman Pointed for sparrows and doves usually no pass through and no flutter whatsoever straight down dead out of a FWB300s.

If not for pellets, I could not shoot/pest at all in my present situation. Slugs in AGs are useful for some and especially at longer distances. However, for pesting in my backyard, pellets are more than enough and safer concerning possible collateral damage from pass through, ricochets and out right misses.

In my situation, ~12fpe at the muzzel is more than enough for the majority of what I do. More than that would just limit me even more as to the shots I can safely take.

To each their own. If I lived out in the country and had enough range, I would definitely be trying slugs in AGs, but I would also probably have plenty of PBs for the job as well.

And, as has been mentioned already in this thread, at some point the "powers that be" WILL be trying to limit AGs just like they are trying to limit PBs.

We live in curious and dangerous times my friends.

I really like perfect low velocity Sub 10-12fpe pellet shooting combos do in the back yard you shoot your critter the pellet stays in your game so there's no ricochet going who knows where or pass through that can leave any pellet evidence anywhere. A 2.5fpe 400fps target pistol good for up to 20 yards shooting 7.4gr Crosman pointeds yards lead stays inside flesh no flutter just DRT.

I have found 6.5 - 7fpe 630fps at the muzzle is good at up to 55 yards same 7.4gr Crosman Pointed for sparrows and doves usually no pass through and no flutter whatsoever straight down dead out of a FWB300s.

^^^^^^this!!!

1720T with folding stock shooting 6FPE can easily knock down house sparrows at 35 yards with a loud POP! My PP700 at 650 FPS(7fpe with 7.9 CPHP) got pass through on a squirrel at 15 yards. 

I’ll have to drive 45 minutes to be able to shoot slug or even pallets at high power.