Theoretical question regarding slugs and barrel harmonics

Lots of big fancy words, I'll try to present this clear. I will stipulate that my present constant to this equation is AVS slugs. I use those exclusively as all others I used basically, were poor on grouping. Steve fits his to the barrel groove. Do I buy that reasoning? For now, yes. Now to the point at hand, while I'm trying different slug weights, the gun shoot, "violent" for lack of a better word. I got decent groups, but not exciting ones. Now this is where we differ in theory, I believe using a slug at whatever weight, not super light. for my discussion, a 35g slug in 25 cal. which shot no better than the rest, UNTIL I pushed it to 970 FPS, then, magic, the gun seemed to strain less, smoother firing, and the slugs were just lobbing in at 1 MOA at 100 yards with little effort. You could feel it as you shot. Now here is the wrinkle, I believe that the same can be attained with say, a heavier slug, but would have to be pushed at that same velocity! Now attaining certain velocities with heavier slugs is a real challenge, so.....

My partner in crime theorizes that barrel harmonics rotates in and out of harmony as you lower velocity, in my example, 970 with a 35g succeeded, but that was the very end of our last ever range visit and I never got to prove this. I was going to lower HST and thereby velocity 5-10 FPS from 970 until say 870 and see if that same smooth harmonic cycled back into sequence to give that same smooth function. Theoretically, allowing heavier slug use as it's more easy to push a slug at 910 instead of 970. Now, when I do arrainge shooting sessions, I will put this theory to the test.

Reactions: frankie
You can probably tune those slugs to shoot well at a couple different velocities, but if you are happy with what it is doing? Why bother?
You have found the happy place for your gun. You may try some fine tuning to try and tweak smaller or slightly more consistent groups.
The premise would be that achieving same accuracy at a reduced velocity, or power lever would reduce the strain on certain components, thereby extending their useful time.

i think the main enemy your fighting with slugs is its gyroscopics vs keeping the nose pointing into the pronounced arc trajectory of airguns .. it wants to stay on the same plane it left the barrel with no pellet 'wings' to help it fly the arc ..so yeah, following this theory the faster and flatter you can blast it out, typically the better, at a distance anyway ..

Interesting, never heard of that before. What is the distinction between the two? In other words, how do you have one without the other?
Well you kinda did hear it before when you hit 970fps and the gun became a different animal. It wasn’t that your barrel suddenly stopped whipping. I’ve experienced what you talked about so many times. It’s hard to explain without writing a short story. I think the quickest way I can describe it is it’s how you get the slug out of the barrel. Once you find the best setting for an efficient launch, then you can tinker around in that zone if you believe you can extract a little more accuracy or consistency with barrel harmonics. The barrel harmonics thing is also dependent on what kind of barrel is on your gun.

Some food for thought. On a recent build I found excellence at 130b 920fps. I installed a L-Tech which now allowed me to get the same velocity tuning the same with 120b. But the gun wasn’t right and neither was the accuracy. I’m now at 140b and the gun has that nice snappy feel again and it’s accurate. Guess where my slug speed is? Yep, 920fps. The lack of a probe because it retracts gave me a boost in power but it changed the chamber volume and launch. So instead of taking advantage of being able to use a reduced reg setting to achieve the same speed, I had to actually increase it to keep the gun happy.