• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Theobin MFR Modifications

Hi all,

My name is Jim, I live in Florida and at one time I practiced and enjoyed target shooting my airguns when the weather allowed.

I was into airguns big time back some years...usually hung out online the AirgunAdvice forums (I think that was it anyway) because there was always something going on with the Theobins. There were a bunch of airgunners that seemed like were always machining new and improved parts. I see now that the site is down so all those web pages I saved won't pull-up any more. I've just retired and was hoping to get back into the sport. I can remember Killer-B running the site and a few others (Scott maybe?) that I bought some parts from for my MFR but this old age disease "CRS" has affected me lol. I'm thinking of possibly getting a better shrouded barrel but have forgotten the name of the gentleman who did shrouds and modified the tank so u wouldn't have to unscrew it to fill it. He also did tunes and a bunch of other services and mostly specialized in Theobin rifles. (I'm thinking he was in the South, maybe MS or so but again I am not sure)

I am wondering if anyone knows where any of the crowd either went to or frequents a different forum now, or the gentleman I referred to up above. 

Thanks for listening,

Jim

Something like this.
1575154495_11377264005de2f33f714571.42350867_imagejpeg1_02.jpg
1575154539_12553890735de2f36b97a0f9.80378243_imagejpeg1_01.jpg

Jim,

I'm sure AZ is who you have in the back of your mind, lives in Idaho now.

With your particular rifle(but he does work on other brands too) https://www.airguns-usa.com  would be your Theoben expert. Does outstanding custom work also, pretty well just anything you/yours might need.

John

edit: tried to fix the link airguns-usa ,com is Martin Rutherford's custom airgun shop and the fellow does know Theobens.

Hi all,

First I want to thank all the posters for the feedback I got in such a short time, :^)

Those are some great looking Rapids - wow! Makes me wish I bought more then the 1 I have. I remember some of the members on the AirAdvice site had some good looking Rapid II I think. I don't think they were regulated (could be wrong here) but they would get some fantastic 100 yard groups. And I think it was Ernie that used to make most of the modded parts for them. He also did a shroud that had the indent for the bottle incorporated into it. Does he still do this type of work? Those bottles that are modded by AZ...have you run into any issues with them over time? I definitely like the looks of them with that air input on the far end. 

*bzizz - How much did you have AZ cut off your barrel? Did it affect velocity much or did AZ make up for it by tuning it back into the reg? That Huggett full length shroud - how does that work with the MFR oem shroud on it too? I saw those Huggetts yesterday in my googling on a site located in Utah. Which model is your Huggett? How quiet does it make the over all sound? I'm sorry for asking all these questions at the same time....I haven't talked airguns with anyone in a long time :)

*Remcow - thanks for that site, I'm going to go join it now and start reading

Hi all,

First I want to thank all the posters for the feedback I got in such a short time, :^)

Those are some great looking Rapids - wow! Makes me wish I bought more then the 1 I have. I remember some of the members on the AirAdvice site had some good looking Rapid II I think. I don't think they were regulated (could be wrong here) but they would get some fantastic 100 yard groups. And I think it was Ernie that used to make most of the modded parts for them. He also did a shroud that had the indent for the bottle incorporated into it. Does he still do this type of work? Those bottles that are modded by AZ...have you run into any issues with them over time? I definitely like the looks of them with that air input on the far end. 

*bzizz - How much did you have AZ cut off your barrel? Did it affect velocity much or did AZ make up for it by tuning it back into the reg? That Huggett full length shroud - how does that work with the MFR oem shroud on it too? I saw those Huggetts yesterday in my googling on a site located in Utah. Which model is your Huggett? How quiet does it make the over all sound? I'm sorry for asking all these questions at the same time....I haven't talked airguns with anyone in a long time :)

*Remcow - thanks for that site, I'm going to go join it now and start reading

I know this question wasn’t meant for me but I might be able to answer some of the questions.

Ernie from the (sadly no longer) Airgunadvise, became really busy with jet skis, just recently , he had started back on airgun airguns, in a much reduced capacity. Yes he did do the tube with a dent, very clever the way he dit it too.

Some of the guns were regulated but the high power stuff was all free flow.

The AZ modified bottles have been available for a while but there are some safety concerns about them as the bottle was never designed to have a hole drilled in the base. There was a press release by the manufacturers of the bottle about the dangers of q/f modification.Because of the bad press, Many (if not all) of the shooting ranges here in the uk will ban you if you have one fitted to a bottle. I am sure that AZ has tested these fittings without any issues but personally I would not have one on any of my guns.

You can get other Q/F fitted to a theoben (normally on the reg/ fast flow) that don’t affect the integrity of the bottle but I have never found unscrewing the bottle to be much of a chore so never bothered (also one less place to leak)

The hugget shroud is a complete assembly and replaces all ot the original theoben parts, they look really nice but are expensive and only adequate at noise reduction, better than the original but not £175 better.

with barrel shortening, you generally loose about 15fps per inch. This can be made up but increased reg pressure but noise and air usage will be more. The is very little difference in noise level in a 19” barrel with a shroud stickIng 4” past the muzzle and a 3” shorter barrel with a 3” longer shroud.

The carbon shroud fitted to this gun I made to raised £4000 for chartIy, is sooooo much quieter than any hugget I have ever tried, half the wieght too. If you look you can see a Q/F fitted just forward of the block.

1575235618_3528320125de4302201d5b8.16979980_8B0BFF9B-1567-455A-B778-8694DAF1CE6F.jpeg

Bb

1575248206_8044839575de4614e3273e4.09964018_0DAB6E85-6FB7-41A7-9696-AC5ED3F5278C.jpeg
1575248206_7099602965de4614ebd3105.69355919_D3BB70CB-D992-4093-9876-3BAD5519786C.jpeg
Hi Jim, It’s Allen Z. who does the Theoben mods. Here’s a .20 cal that he sold me. Here’s the best group of my life shot with the .20 cal! It’s 5 shots at 130 yards. No wind, off of bags and a solid bench. I’m totally amazed by this rifle, it just does the same thing every time I shoot. I’ve had absolutely no problems with his bottle mod, and the shroud is beautiful and very functional. I’ve had this rifle for almost four years now. Would never sell it. Allen’s contact number is 319-327-4303, he gave me permission to post it. He is really busy but you will eventually get him on the line. Please don’t distract him for awhile though...I’m sending him my Crown .30 to be converted into a hot .177! He also did the scalloped area on the block so that I could single load with ease.

Wow - that is a gorgeous .20 cal there. The stock is sooo nice. I don't have anything even near that wood. Less then an inch at 130 yards is some phenomenal shooting, not even mentioning the accuracy of that rifle. I can get maybe 50 yards in the yard but the comfortable range in my backyard is 41 yards(what they used to call 1 verne) Is that shroud creased for the bottle? It looks like it on my pc but I can't really be sure.

The blue laminated one is also very nice. I like the looks of the design in the shroud and how it sets off the laminate. The QF on the top side is a nice touch too. The reason I asked about the bottle mod done by Allen is that I've been told the MFR can't have one on the bottom because of the kind of bottle it takes(?). I'm thinking it could probably have one of those top QF V ones but would not feel good about ruining the stock lol. I also wonder if it could be changed up with a different reg that would tune it down to 12fpe. There are some very nice ones on the Gun Trader site but appear to be all located in GB. I applied to the Rapid7 ownersclub the other day but am waiting on an admin to approve it.

Wow - that is a gorgeous .20 cal there. The stock is sooo nice. I don't have anything even near that wood. Less then an inch at 130 yards is some phenomenal shooting, not even mentioning the accuracy of that rifle. I can get maybe 50 yards in the yard but the comfortable range in my backyard is 41 yards(what they used to call 1 verne) Is that shroud creased for the bottle? It looks like it on my pc but I can't really be sure.

The blue laminated one is also very nice. I like the looks of the design in the shroud and how it sets off the laminate. The QF on the top side is a nice touch too. The reason I asked about the bottle mod done by Allen is that I've been told the MFR can't have one on the bottom because of the kind of bottle it takes(?). I'm thinking it could probably have one of those top QF V ones but would not feel good about ruining the stock lol. I also wonder if it could be changed up with a different reg that would tune it down to 12fpe. There are some very nice ones on the Gun Trader site but appear to be all located in GB. I applied to the Rapid7 ownersclub the other day but am waiting on an admin to approve it.

Pm me your rapid 7 owners user name and I will contact the moderator on your behalf. The forum has suffered attacks from scammers recently so new members were halted. Also the owners of the site has been (is) ill, so it might take a day or two to ge a reply.

The answer to your question, yes it is easy to reduce the power on an mfr (or any other Theoben rapid) I have a few spare regs set at different pressures. You will need to reduce the spring power, you might want to look at the size of the transfer port in the barrel, if too big, it can be more difficult to get it to run consistently.

Bb

Bb

The Master target Gun Rapid Builder was Allen Z. The Master Blaster of high powered Rapids and double bottle and bottom dimpled shrouds with unreal sir strippers in them was Ernie,. or 22Sweft. If you need his number, PM me.

As shame the Air Gun Advice Mod's nastied themselves out of a forum. Same with the Yellow. GRRRRR!

I was removed for saying I used dry nitrogen in my guns. The manufacturer suggested it. When I told Killer bee, (head mod) rather than discuss it, his only comment was "Your Ban"! No comment, no discussion, no warning. Period!

Nothing like a free exchange of ideas. LOL

Knife