I did a little more looking back at some of my info on Theoben. It seems it actually mattered in what caliber for some of their guns if you got an Anschutz barrel or not. The Eliminator for instance came with a Walther barrel in .20 & .25 and an Anschutz barrel in .22cal... odd but that's right from Theoben's own advertisement. On their "mid power range" they didn't seem to mention anything but Anschutz barrels no matter the caliber and the Dual Magnums came with them for sure. 

Reactions: crowski
This Sirocco is Anschutz .177

IMG_3983.1645065232.jpg

So much Theoben info here but I can't get the link to work anymore. IDK. Virtually a Theoben encyclopedia from Airgun World Magazine articles.

Try this https://www.airarmsanorak.co.uk/fullscreen-page/comp-jpwj62nr/34043c23-0096-4544-857a-feb739fd87cb/175/%3Fi%3D175%26p%3Dageid%26s%3Dstyle-jpwj62oz

This does not start at the beginning but you can flip forwards or back to see articles. Sometimes it doesn't load properly. Enjoy

Reactions: rigbymauser
When Theoben introduced the variable pumper there was discussion in the UK airgun press that the variable air spring was first produced years earlier by Shark in Argentina. Shark produced a small run of the guns in the 1990's or early 2000's. I scoured Buenos Aires to find one, but they quickly disappeared.

Sad to say that Shark's website is gone and I fear they are too. It seems that the only Argentine airgun maker is now Farac.
No, we have many others and Shark is still around and pretty much unchanged for the last few decades LOL. We have few people in local forums still shooting early models, production wasn't large at beginning, as you can see here some designs are quite old (and weird) but still work today, but they are nowhere near theoben´s quality, finesse, accuracy and so...

Very nice. I have a couple of questions regarding the Theoben Dual Magnum.

First, what pellets are you using to get 36 fpe? My HW90 can reach 36fpe@1305fps with a H&N FTT green 9.58 grain pellet. However, with a regular Crosman Premiere .22, it only reaches 31fpe@990fps. That's with the ram pressure set to 26 bar, and using a Vortek 30 mm piston seal.

Second, I'm curious about the Dual Mag piston seal. Is it a parachute seal? Do they use an exotic material? Has anyone checked for piston seal heat corrosion or burning after extended use? I pulled the Vortek seal after about 100 high powered shots on my HW90 and noticed a little corrosion. It's still perfectly good but I'll check again after about 1000 shots.

I think the HW90 power potential is similar to the Dual mag. The HW90 receiver and piston assembly are ridiculously stout. The performance difference may just be in the piston seal.

I have never held or fired a Dual Mag and don't want to step on any toes here. But is it possible that the Dual Mag is the underlever version of the HW90? Like the HW97 is to the HW95?

When I first time read about Theoben was in 1982 in Airgun World. It was an artical written by Arthur Shepard. I was so amazed that an airgun could be cocked for a long period without experiencing fatique like a steelspring normally would in those days. The Theoben airgun was the answer to a prayer every airgunner at that time had. The Theobens were build by the best materials only. That ofcouse refected the price…but it was made to be a Roll Royce of breakbarrel airguns which they indeed were. Theoben airguns could suddenly reach powers spring airguns couldn`t and yet keep a useful accuracy.
When they came out with their Eliminator that did 28 ft/ibs in .22cal and +30 ft/ibs in .25 it was record breaking numbers for breakbarreled airguns at that time. Today these numbers are surpassed in even that cheapest pcp.

Wow this does bring back a lot of memories.
After my R1, the next airgun was the Theoben Sirocco Deluxe.
But I pick a special edition.... The Promethus Edition....
It came with an unchoke barrel made to shoot the Promethus Nylon skirted pellet...
The pellets was either hi-Speed zinc core or heavy lead core...
The lite pellets was supersonic.. also left some nylon fouling behind.
They could punch hole through pennies @15 yards....
I have a couple of packs of pellets laying around, I will need to post a couple of photos.
Btw..the last break-barrel.. was a Crow-magnum II, sitting in my gunsafe....