Theoben SLR 98's, sell or hold?

I have three Theoben SLR 98's, two .22's from new and one,177 I bought from David Slade. The Thumbhole .22 has a David Slade trigger tune, ( it shipped from him ) and a Theoben trigger shoe installed, I would consider it collector grade condition, stayed in case in closet, I would consider the sporter stock .22 and the thumbhole .177 excellent+ condition, I'm very fussy about my guns. The sporter .22 and the .177 carbine were gone through by David Slade two or three years ago, all of them are wonderful shooters that are good for the foreseeable future. I won't be shooting these any more for a variety of reasons and I am trying to decide weather to sell or hold these guns. I'm leaning towards selling but I would like to see these Theoben's preserved for the future too, I do not sell many air guns, ( two in 15 years to friends ) I buy and "hold". I have been trying to decide for six months now. I need to hear some opinions from people wiser in the ways of air guns then me. Thanks!
1539282656_10342252525bbf96e00dd4c0.60805179_slr heard.jpg

RM

Unless you are planning to pass them down to your heirs, I think you should sell. It is such a waste to let them just sit there.

Many people like myself would pay top dollar to get their hands on a beautiful SLR98. Opportunities to find one are scarce. I have often wondered how many are just sitting in a safe or closet somewhere. Lol. Now I know of 3!

Feel free to PM me if you ever decide to let them go.

RM100guy

I would not be the best one to give you advise to your dilemma. I have never sold a gun regardless of being propelled by air or powder and I am not young.Once I acquire a gun it no longer has monetary value to me, but becomes an hairloom to be handed down to my kids.

Not to take away from John's post (kingfisher) but my vote would be to keep at least one. At least one!!! Who am I kidding, KEEP them all.They will always retain their value as they are a top tier springer, classic that are no longer made! You may not shoot them any more but you can still enjoy them immensely in just handling and caring for.

Perhaps you feel that the rifles can be better served in someone else's care. Perhaps it's time to pass reins off to another and that's cool in itself, only you can decide but what ever decision you make don't look back, feelings of regret is not a comfortable place to be.

I do understand your dilemma RM and it would not be about the money in particular but knowing you found the right home for your children. It's obvious by your post and provided pictures that you have been a great Care Taker providing a good home and only wish the best for them if you do decide to sell and understandable so!

Sorry RM not much help, one post in favor of selling the other in keeping them. They are BEAUTIFUL and strongly suggest keeping one, your favorite weather it's the most accurate, most appealing, maybe it's in how you acquired it or even a particular memory, what ever reason, Do Keep One! You can always sell but finding them is not so easy.

Cheers

Mike

You still have the first slingshot you ever made!!! Lol. You wouldn't have most of your rifles if guys didn't sell!!!

Keep it to look at?! That's a quaint idea....like having a Ferrari in the garage and never driving it.....just looking at it. Not me! Let that baby rip!!!!!

I have made it a point to sell off rifles I don't use. No sense in letting them sit. IMO Let the dust fall on the floor not on your guns!

Here is my opinion, others will disagree, YMMV, etc.:

If I don’t use something, away it goes. It may not be an issue of money or investment, but the money tied up in my toys could be used for...ha,ha, different toys! Hopefully, the gun I sell will be used by someone else,and not just stored in a gun safe. However, I do understand guys who like to collect guns and put them on display as “eye candy”. To me, there is some pleasure in that.

I once owned an SLR98. It’s a fine gun, but the power was more than I needed for my suburban backyard. I sold it and bought an R7 that was way more useful to me. I have 7-8 airguns, but I shoot them all.

Excellent feedback, I really appreciate the opinions, I guess keeping ONE is the best option, however, which one? Should it be the sporter .22, the best shooter, or the .177 Thumbhole, the rarest? (300 .177 SLR's produced according to Martin Rutherford). I like them both. Leaning to the .177, only .177 I own. I may be over thinking this, won't be shooting it much, the .177 is harder to cock and has a somewhat sharper shot cycle and the short carbines are a little harder to shoot as accurately, only have one mag. for the .177, I have three for the .22. What do you all think? Thank you!
1539536155_14486045005bc3751b17f838.19427968_slr fire pit.jpg

First of all those guns are very nice , so if their never going to be used maybe sell them , who ever buys them will no doubt take great care of them & hopefully shoot them leaving them locked away and never used I would assume will not be good for the seals etc , however if you do sell it's not like you can go out & replace them , theoben are no more ( very sad ) maybe the best option is what your thinking about , keep 1 sell the other 2 , hopefully they will get some use and like I said no doubt they will be taken care of , sorry I can't be of more help , what ever you decide I wish you the best of luck ( not that you will need it with those fine guns) 

I'm back into air gunning after a 12 year absence. I collect firearms. I have no children and I'm 58 years old. I'm selling a TON of my firearms just so my wife doesn't have to sell them when I die and lose so much $$$. 

That said, I WISH I would have never started collecting. I wish I had just shot what I owned and when I quit shooting it, sell it and buy another. I won't say how many I own, but I really wish I had never gotten into double digits, I'll leave it at that.

I've got 2 airguns I sold my father in law 12 years ago that I just inherited back and am thankful I did. Forgot how much I liked them.

I now watch the classifieds in hopes of FINDING 1 gun that you have above, just one that I can buy.