• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Ultimate Rat Gun

Gents,

Thank you all so much for your replies. You certainly have given me much to think about. Options, options, decisions, decisions...

Some random thoughts and questions...

I had never looked at the Air Venturi prior to it being mentioned here. Good Lord...that thing is a shootin' sumbitch, ain't it?! It certainly is intriguing. However, it kind of reminds me of the "homeowner" class chainsaw I bought the other day. When I asked the salesman about how often they come in for repairs, associated costs, etc., he told me at that price point, fixing them wasn't really cost effective. You just buy a new one. When I described it as a "disposable chainsaw", he said " Yeah...pretty much". The jury is still out on the AV's longevity as it is fairly new to the market, but I, when it comes to guns and outdoor stuff, I like to buy high-quality, proven products, so I don't think the AV is for me. Please don't think of me as a pretentious prick. A prick, yes...but not a pretentious one.

The Weihrauch's are certainly on the short list, as they check all the boxes...I think. During my research, I had trouble nailing down an accurate shot count for one set-up in the 12 foot pound range. I THINK it would be more than enough, but I found numbers all over the place. And, can a FAC HW100 be tuned down to the 12 foot pound range? Same thing with the HW110 (mechanical regulator?). Plus, "Weihrauch" is the funnest name in airguns to say. "Virock"! Every time I say it, I want to listen to German marching songs and take a Focke Wulf 109 out for a spin...

I was pleased to hear about CARM making affordable magazines for the Brococks (the second funnest name in airguns to say) as I really like that rifle. That revelation may have resulted in all the boxes being checked. A tuned-down Brocock Bantam Sniper ought to have a shot count over 200, which would be more than adequate for my needs.

Speaking of tuned down, all of those who recommended a sub-12 foot pound gun have hit the nail on the head for my needs. Sub-12 is certainly adequate for ratting, and while I live on a bit of property (1.7 acres), 34 grain JSB's from either my Cricket or Impact have a tendency to keep going, even after passing through my arch nemesis, the saber-toothed, man-eating ground squirrel, which have taken a liking of late to my particular piece of real estate. A sub-12 would be far more appropriate for this type of work, as well as dealing with the odd racoon or possum that may arrive on scene. So to those that suggested the sub-12, thank you for showing me the light.

When I hit the sheets last night, I had almost convinced myself to turn my new-to-me 25 caliber Impact X into a 22 caliber rat nightmare. As it's equipped with a Power Plenum and a 580cc bottle, tuning it down to 12 foot pounds or so would result in a shot count of 300,000 or so. But to me, that would be like tuning down a Ferrari to get better gas mileage. Besides...I like the idea of a back-up .25 for the Cricket, and the War Department could use it as well, as the wife enjoys sending squirrels to the great beyond just about as much as I do.

I did find a decent deal on a like new, older model Brocock Batman in 22 caliber. It's unregulated, but HUMA makes a regulator for it. And it's a bolt action, not a side lever, but I could live with that. So...as of right now...I am seriously thinking about...uhh...pulling the trigger on it.

And I still have to wrestle with a night vision scope choice...

Again, thank you all for your replies, and I welcome further comments, advise, and critiques.

Justin

I'd keep something in .25 for the raccoons. They aren't as evil as rats by far and deserve at least as humane a death. Heck, I've misplaced a .25 shot at a squirrel and just shot its jaw off, and it didn't feel good. Ran over and killed it fast as I could, but it didn't feel merciful, just like I was bad. I'm sure there are plenty if not most out there who are better marksmen than I am, but anyone can make a mistake or have a target suddenly twitch away, so I like the idea of having enough power to maybe rescue me (and the prey target) from my possible error or foolishness.

Well my 2 cents goes in for the AA S510 FAC Carbine Walnut Stock. (all I would add are sling swivel studs and a sound moderator. Traditional form, respectable history,sling swivel studs (only on the "Ultimate Sporter models"), adjustable power. Mags r on the high side of the price range but there r worse 1s out there.I'm not a big fan of the squarish forestock on the Ultimate Sporter tho. I have a FX Dreamline Classic 22cal which fits the bill pretty well but there has been a reliability issue with it, xtra mags r costly, no sling swivels and the walnut stock needs a final proper finish.

Ya know, Zebra, when I got into this thang a couple of years ago, I noticed that those British gents were using the AA S-510 more often than not. I developed an affinity for that rifle, but I've never scratched that itch cuz I also have an affinity for springers! But I have an Avenger on backorder. If I ever got really serious about ratting, the S-510 is the way I would go, although as others have pointed out, the Avenger is more than sufficient for that purpose!

I think its just a matter of personal choice...my springers are very much up to the task! But that S-510...

I think its just a matter of personal choice...my springers are very much up to the task! But that S-510...

Spring guns have taken thousands of rats over the years and will take thousands more and are great for keeping rats under control but they will never be the “ultimate rat gun” now that multi shot pcp are available. Rat infestation around cattle sheds and particularly poultry sheds can be a serious problem as tons of feed can be wasted. shooting 300-500 rats in an evening is not uncommon, my friend recently told me he had shot 700 in a few hours while he lay prone under a commercial chicken shed. these sort of numbers would not be possible with a springer, not only because of the time it takes to cock and load the gun but also the restricted space often associated with rat shooting would make it cocking the gun almost impossible.

The ultimate rat gun need to be compact, low power, high shot count, magazine feed, robust , simple and something that you won’t cry about when it gets beaten up. 

something like this and a pard 008

F6DC383E-FBC7-416F-A4E0-40D62A75B5D0.1605519369.jpeg

Bb