• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Ultimate Backyard Range

Thinking through building a range and wondering what would you have in it? Targets? Distances? Firing line? Would love to see pictures of home ranges and ideas others are using.
this is several variations of my back yard... i can get 100 yards from a specific location
IMG_4683.jpeg
70968797801__E3038BC8-7207-44F3-A67C-D7D3E4896B69.jpeg
71607641277__C1817FF5-DE79-4C66-8DC2-E32691EDBFBD.jpeg
IMG_6887.jpeg
IMG_6948.jpeg
72090351702__D5DB08D7-7E2C-4A90-89B0-DEA832BCC5F0.jpeg

Variety!
I like a variety of targets, paper, KYL, and mostly the metal resetables.
Occasionally I will find something in the garbage, that is fun to use, like a small plastic lid, or a old pellet tin.
The metal re-setables are by far, my favorites, and they come with different diameter holes (3/8", 1/2", 1", 1.5", etc) that must be shot through, in order to reset.
I have multiple metal resetable squirels, crows, rabbits, etc.
There use to be a gentleman on the yellow forum that made them, and they were very well built, and very affordable.
Im not sure if he is still around, but Id highly recommend him if you can locate him.
Occasionally, they do require a fresh coat of paint, and some oil or grease, but they are very well constructed, and have served me very well.
Photos for reference:
cc.jpg
c.jpg

My small setup in the backyard. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. Neighbors off to the left of the targets are outside a bit and I don't really like shooting when they're out. The whole backyard is fenced but part of the reason I built the enclosure is to keep pellets inside and from ricocheting out. I have about 25 yards I can backup to.

View attachment IMG_0212.JPG

My small setup in the backyard. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. Neighbors off to the left of the targets are outside a bit and I don't really like shooting when they're out. The whole backyard is fenced but part of the reason I built the enclosure is to keep pellets inside and from ricocheting out. I have about 25 yards I can backup to.

View attachment 428623
You gotta love that kyl spinners. Last one on the right made me learn new curse words.. Nice setup.

Reactions: Airgun Al
Scott

View attachment 428623
ive got neighbors on one side too that I’ve got to be careful with. They don’t mind me shooting but don’t want to send an errant pellet their way either :)

That is the best backyard for an airgun shooter! I have a 40 yards backyard space but I am not allow to shoot due to by-laws. Luckily I have a few farm permissions where I can go there and play. Otherwise, this airgun hobby of mine would never have materialized if I don't have places to shoot.

Thinking through building a range and wondering what would you have in it? Targets? Distances? Firing line? Would love to see pictures of home ranges and ideas others are using.

For targets, I like AR steel gongs (zinc or galvanized if possible) that swing or spin, but they are not the best choice if you have neighbors to worry about. It's not only the noise, but shooting steel will send out spall in every direction if you don't contain it somehow.

Distances? It's good to have small targets at various distances to practice your holds. Don't forget some up close targets (biggest POA vs POI difference). I also like to populate the 10-25 yard area on the range for red dot/pistols targets.

Action shooting and/or moving targets are a ton of fun. Best with a semi-auto, but can also be fun with a bolt action too. Tin cans and plastic bottles hanging from a length of string work well for that.

If you have choice in where to put your range (or even how to orientate your only available location), think about safety first and foremost. But after that, do consider the environment (wind, sunlight etc).

IMO, just start with something simple and add to it as time goes on. That way you get to see what you like and what you don't. Portability with targets is still a good idea on a permanent range so you can mix it up. Otherwise, you'll might eventually get bored shooting the same thing all the time!

Reactions: Str8tshooter