The trend towards slugs…….

I know many of us are still shooting lots of pellets (and will continue to do so), and still enjoying them immensely (myself included). But it’s not really an arguable statement to say that the airgun industry is leaning pretty hard into this slugs-as-the-biggest-technological-advance-in-our-hobby-since-PCPs, idea.

Are slugs “better” than pellets? And if so, in what regard?

First off, yeah, slugs generally have much better ballistic coefficients than pellets. In the case of my personal shooting, I’ve seen .22 slugs absolutely crush prairie dogs and Euro doves when compared to the effect seen from a comparably powered .22 pellet at a similar distance. So, no argument from me that slugs anecdotally seem to retain their energy better than pellets. So, sure, I’ll go along with them being better in that regard.

But what about accuracy? The accuracy/precision potential of COMMERCIALLY available slugs being better than that of pellets seems to be a little more of a gray area than the BC/retained energy concept.

Before I’m burned at the stake let me preface that thought with a description of what we’re seeing in the Extreme FT events here in AZ. And let me preface that with some thoughts on scientific comparisons.

Other than a purposefully designed study/trial, it is rare to find a somewhat naturally occurring situation that allows for a mostly proper comparison between two variables. The problem with comparing two variables in most situations is that there are many other variables at play affecting the results. When people share pics of groups from slugs or pellets, we don’t know the wind conditions, or if that’s an average group, or if it took that person 100 other groups to get that really good group, or if they woke up at 5am when the wind was perfectly still or shot it in the most wind-protected place ever. So, comparing slug groups shared from a certain member to pellet groups shared from someone else really tells us nothing. Different day, different elevation, different wind conditions, different temp, etc.

Back to the Extreme FT events. There are only two classes (both limited to .30 and 100fpe): slugs or pellets. And whether the shooter picks slugs or pellets, they have to be commercially available. The Extreme FT rules have removed many of the other variables. Max scope power is 25x. Shooters can click or holdover. None of the gadgets that normal field target shooters use are allowed in Extreme, so there aren’t butthooks that wrap under and around the shoulder, nor are there 1 foot tall knee risers. As for position, shooters are all sitting on a stool or bucket (although bumbag is allowed, just gotta have feet flat on the ground), and using shooting sticks and shooting from a reasonable position that just about any “gun person” (firearm or otherwise) would recognize as a normal way to shoot a gun. You know, stock of the gun where it is supposed to be, buttpad pulled up to the shoulder/armpit, cheek resting on the CHEEKPIECE, trigger hand on the grip of the gun, non-trigger hand supporting the forearm of the gun, gun resting in shooting sticks in the normal way. None of the contortionist stuff going on, or guns missing substantial and usually necessary portions of their stocks, or guns literally bolted down into rail-gun like artillery pieces. Just good ole-fashioned, shoot a gun like it’s traditionally supposed to be shot, positions.

So, we’ve got slug and pellet shooters using the same shooting position, taking 40 shots at the same targets, from 20-100 yards, no wind-flags (would introduce the variable of who has spent more time shooting over the top of wind flags and can read them best), no unlimited sighter-shot silliness (whose gun has the biggest booby bottles and mag capacity), in the same roughly 2 hour window of weather conditions, with the same caliber limit and fpe limit and scope mag limits, all with hits and misses being recorded by an impartial witness. Really, about as fair of a comparison between pellets and slugs as we’re likely to find. (yeah the guns and barrels are a variable but it’s not realistic to think that we’re going to find a particular gun/barrel that shoots pellets just as good a slugs, or vice versa so that we could compare pellets and slugs from the same gun).

Also a pretty good comparison to most field conditions in which we would find ourselves hunting and caring about getting that pellet to go where we want it to.

The slugs gotta just be killing it right? The guys shooting slugs have just got to be scoring so much higher that the pellet shooters are completely demoralized…………NOPE. I think we’re up to 4 monthly matches now and the high score from the pellet shooters and the slug shooters has been very similar each month. Last month both classes’ high scores were identical.

And we’re not even shooting at crazy-hard targets like a dime at 100 yards would be. We’re talking 2 inches at 100 yards being on the extremely hard end of the spectrum of target placement thus far. Nor is there any kind of $$$ limit on the rigs that can be used. And there are some guys using PRICEY gun/scope combos already and all indications suggest that is only going to keep going up.

So, what’s going on here? Why doesn’t that superior BC equate to higher scores from the slug shooters in about the most fair comparison between slugs and pellets that we’re likely to find?

Is the required shooting position the accuracy limiting factor? Cuz there are those that have argued that "bucket and sticks" is the easiest of all shooting positions to master. So it can't be that. 

Is it as simple as non-witnessed accuracy claims/editing out all the misses for the YouTube video versus reality?

There are some exceptionally talented shooters at these events too. State champions in various disciplines, firearm and airgun, as well as National champs, and even a previous EBR winner and others that have placed fairly high in EBR.

So, what gives? Is there anybody out there repeatedly and consistently getting better groups with slugs than pellets?

I've noticed the same. This is because we are shooting subsonic. Pellet stabilization is extremely good with the skirt, but in higher winds a slug will out perform. In a zero wind indoor event, pellets all the way baby

We've had some wind at these events and still, even on the more windy days, are not seeing the slugs scoring better than the pellets. 

Nice write up Cole, and I agree with you up to a point. Slugs are in their infancy, I think as the next year or two passes we might see slugs starting to substantially outperform pellets accuracy wise in EFT. Although, without significant wind pellets are still more accurate than commercially available slugs. But in normal AZ type mid afternoon shifting winds I think it’ll be slugs turning in the high score the majority of the time...

Slugs! Slugs! Slugs! 

Push em hard so I will have less economic competition for my pellets.
1f607.svg

Bahaha ditto

Nice write up Cole, and I agree with you up to a point. Slugs are in their infancy, I think as the next year or two passes we might see slugs starting to substantially outperform pellets accuracy wise in EFT. Although, without significant wind pellets are still more accurate than commercially available slugs. But in normal AZ type mid afternoon shifting winds I think it’ll be slugs turning in the high score the majority of the time...

Gotta agree with you there, relatively new. Perhaps more time testing and tinkering for guys to get the most out of them.

My Long Ranger (gun I use for EFT) has an unchoked barrel in it, and I purposefully went that route so that I could experiment with slugs. So I will eventually get around to more testing, and perhaps even competing with slugs, if they prove to be more accurate/precise/resistant to wind deflection. I've shot slugs out of it and they're quite accurate, I just want to do more conclusive testing. The dabbling in slugs that I did when I first got the barrel back wasn't leaps and bounds better than the 25.4gr MRDS so I just decided to stick with those for now. When my current lot/supply of MRDs is gone (and the house remodel is out of the way) is likely when I revisit the slugs out of this gun. 

I just remembered another anecodotal personal data point. I tested, quite a bit actually, an unchoked Korean barrel shooting slugs and it did as well as, but not better, and especially not consistently better than the same gun shooting MRDS.

(Thought I better add here that I'm not necessarily against or anti slugs, just curious as to why we aren't seeing a disparity in the scores like we logically should be.)

I think your answer is located about fifty to one hundred yards farther down range. Push that out to 200 yards and start keeping score there. 

First of all you have described an event designed to test shooter skill, not the technical superiority of one projectile over another. Second the skill is being tested within the constraints of the "lesser" (and I do not mean that disparagingly) of the two projectiles. We have nearly two hundred years of ballistics study which proves beyond the shadow of doubt that spitzer type projectiles fly better than diablo projectiles. That doesn't mean they are a complete panacea for what ails the shooter.

So I think what you are seeing is that out to 100 yards when shooting paper with the constraints you are placing on your shooters there isn't enough difference to show up very significantly. You might find if you track all the scores for the entire group of shooters that the average slug shooter does better than the average pellet shooter (or not).

Look farther down range and/or make the farthest targets half again as small as they are right now.

Just my two and I really don't have the experience with this game that you or many others do.

I think your answer is located about fifty to one hundred yards farther down range. Push that out to 200 yards and start keeping score there. 

First of all you have described an event designed to test shooter skill, not the technical superiority of one projectile over another. Second the skill is being tested within the constraints of the "lesser" (and I do not mean that disparagingly) of the two projectiles. We have nearly two hundred years of ballistics study which proves beyond the shadow of doubt that spitzer type projectiles fly better than diablo projectiles. That doesn't mean they are a complete panacea for what ails the shooter.

So I think what you are seeing is that out to 100 yards when shooting paper with the constraints you are placing on your shooters there isn't enough difference to show up very significantly. You might find if you track all the scores for the entire group of shooters that the average slug shooter does better than the average pellet shooter (or not).

Look farther down range and/or make the farthest targets half again as small as they are right now.

Just my two and I really don't have the experience with this game that you or many others do.

Thoughtful response. Also, the length and drag of the slug will stabilize like a pellet skirt given the right twist rate. 

I’ve been thinking about this and the reasons. I think one thing we’re not considering is the actual slugs that are being used compared to newer modem high BC pellets. Case in point as an example this past EFT match in January. The winner in the pellet division shot a .25 JSB Exact Heavy with a manufacturer stated BC of 0.062. A majority of the other pellet shooters also shot the high BC .22 JSB RD Monster with a BC of 0.053. Most of the slugs shooters were shooting a low BC slug such as the .22 caliber 20.3 grain with a BC of just over 0.070. Not really a substantial difference. But I will say that I was shooting a .25 NSA 43.5 grain with a BC of 0.105, but I think I was only one of two shooting heavier slugs. (Out of 7 shooters)

Thoughtful response. Also, the length and drag of the slug will stabilize like a pellet skirt given the right twist rate.

Yes, thoughtful response. Thank you. 

Your comments on the diabolo vs spitzer shapes reminded me of a discussion I had with a very knowledgeable shooter. It goes back to the specific pellet we're comparing here. Many of the guys shooting in these EFT events are using the .22 JSB Monster Redesigns, myself included. This particular pellet is very unlike most wasp-waisted true diabolo shaped pellets. And it also has a pretty thick and not very hollow skirt compared to a generic diabolo shape. So maybe the similarity in the scores between pellets and slugs is that we're classifying the MRD as a pellet, even though it's more slug-like in shape, design, performance, and ballistics. 

On that note, I want to and eventually will test wind deflection comparing the JSB 15.89gr .20 pellet at long range/high power side by side with the JSB 25.4gr .22. They both have very similar profiles (thick waste, thick skirt, not very hollow base). JSB shared some BCs collected at their testing facility and the heavy .20s were surprisingly close in BC to the .22 MRDs. 

Another related data point: the first month I competed with a true diabolo, the JSB 18.1gr and it performed very poorly. LOTS of wind deflection and a coinciding LOW score. 

If you want to shoot accurately at Uber long airgun range, you use slugs not pellets.

I took that path when I made my videos of shooting cola cans at 500-550 and 615 yards in 2013 long before most of you knew about slugs in airguns. Pellets could never do that.

Pellets also can not come close to the energy provided in big bores shooting slugs.

Now accurate shooting at 100 yards and closer, yes that is mainly in the realm of pellet shooters. Pellets are also better in urban areas due to the drag from their design.

Regards,

Roachcreek

I think some of the things a fair portion of what we airgun shooters are dealing with are POI shifts during the match, both with slugs and pellets. The gun I was using in the January match had that happen by the 3rd lane that I shot, then I proceeded to NOT SEE where my misses were on the steel "until my 3rd from the last shot which hit 1.5" high" at 50-ish yards. Since I saw it hit that high I compensated by dialing for 70Y instead of 82Y, a .6 mil difference, and hit the 2"-ish KZ at 82Y with my last two shots. 

My other point would be IF THE DOPE IS OFF for whatever reason, possibly the aforementioned as well as POI SHIFTING - meaning both combined going on at the same time, well now trying to hit stuff is a becoming a real B!TCH, lol!

But yeah, if the BC is close to the same between a slug and a pellet, as long as both are capable of the same precision, then we shouldn't see a notable difference in the scores for the top shooters.

By the time we get to 22rf velocities, and SLUGS in airguns as precise as match 22rf ammo, but with lower ES, then the difference is going to become quite obvious. For example Mike S and I both tied at 30/40 with our 22rf's after the match when we shot through again for fun and there were plenty of misses that I was very puzzled about which I can only blame on weird winds present there that day. I know both my Anschutz and Mike's Vudoo are fully capable of a 100% score because of what they are and the high quality ammo we use. Mine averaged .8" at 100M for 10 shots in an ammo testing facility with the ammo that I used. I'm sure Mike's rifle and ammo aren't much different.

It's interesting that most people that have shot EBR wouldn't dream of NOT using wind flags when shooting at 75Y and 100Y, but we can't have a few pieces of surveyors tape up on the hill placed in random spots to at least get an idea what the wind is going to do to our projectile??!! Going to any rifle match when the top shooter being a former FT national champion is only getting 22/40 seems silly to me, also a former state FT and former 50Y EBR BR national champion only gets 17/40, but whatever, you (anybody) do you, while I'm equally welcome to my opinion. BTW Cole, there's a big difference between a using real wind flag designed for BR that someone shoots over in practice and a steamer that's 30Y to 60Y in either direction up the hill aways. I think this deserves a trial run at least!

As to "any reasonable position" and your assertion here "non-trigger hand supporting the forearm of the gun", well ALL OF THIS needs to be specified EXACTLY in the rules as to what is acceptable or not. For example I saw one of our dear friends at the last EFT holding the grip of his gun with both hands, butt pad into shoulder, elbows on knees, and gun resting in the saddle of the sticks, like in pic #2. Would he have been DQ'ed because he didn't hold the forestock? Except for offhand and kneeling, I never hold the forstock in a traditional manor, my hand is on the shooting sticks upper frame and I bet quite a few of us are doing that or holding one of the legs, like in pic #1. I've also rested the bottom of the stock on my arm with my support hand holding the butt like Pic #3. Honestly I see zero difference in "my" wobble factor between these three positions and they are all comfortable.

Anyone care to discuss what "reasonable position" means?

DSC00282.1612814168.JPG
DSC00283.1612814196.JPG
DSC00288.1612814222.JPG

Hey Steve! Some very good points. 

I hadn't considered poi shifting. I've been struggling with my my eye disease for a few months and haven't been able to see my pellet impact points at the last couple EFT events so can't say whether or not I'm having that problem. I do know that my turrets/zero have been in the same place since last October and the gun seems to be hitting where it should each time that I get it out. Do you think the guns that are collectively being used for EFT are more prone to poi shifts than regular FT guns for some reason? 

I have questioned my dope, going from 5600feet down to whatever PHX rod and gun is (1500feet?). It would be nice to be able to verify some longer range impact points during the sight in window, prior to the match. 

Even with your extremely accurate rimfire it sounds like you and Mike S shot 75%. I'd have guessed that really accurate rimfires, in the hands of exceptional shooters like you two, would have had higher knockdown rates. So, that maybe shows that this format is simply a very difficult one to shoot in, regardless of BCs, and retained FPE, and pellets vs slugs vs rimfire, etc. 

I agree with you about how windflags are a very "benchrest" concept (you mentioned EBR). I'm not Ben or Robert, but those two (who have kinda emerged as the "fathers" of this EFT type of competition) seem to have intended for this to be something different than benchrest, more like hunting. For the pdog shooting that I do, the lack of any ground cover (or at least any ground cover that is very responsive to wind), is pretty similar to what we're dealing with at EFT events. With pdog sniping and EFT, I usually only know the general direction the wind is blowing. Intensity and wind switches are the tricky parts. As for a trial run, if Ben decides to have a vote for it I guess it'll just depend on how the vote goes. Whatever the opinion of the majority of the actual participants, I'll go along with. 

As for the position, some of my description of the positional aspects were just my personal thoughts and opinions, specifically about the non-trigger hand supporting the forend of the gun. I'm not in charge of any of this, just somewhat active in sharing my thoughts and opinions, but the "reasonable position" is entirely my creation. I don't think the wording in the "official" rules say anything similar to "reasonable position." As for my opinion (which counts for exactly 1 vote if it comes down to it) I don't have any issues with any of the ways you showed the gun being held, they are all normal ways to shoot off a bipod. It gets a lot more questionable when the gun is laying across legs, or sitting on top of a knee or not contacting the shoulder, etc. I hold it kinda like the first pic that you provided, just with my hand up at the top of the sticks. My hand sort of wraps around the junction of the sticks and the forearm of the gun. I wasn't trying to turn this into another debate about positions, just give a brief enough description of the allowed position for everyone to understand that we're all shooting from the same position. My one vote on position will always be that anything that affords someone an unfair advantage will be a nay from me. 

What I really want to figure out is why the heck is it so much harder to get good scores in EFT than it seems like it should be. Slugs have not yet proven to be the magic bullet was the main point I was trying to make and topic of discussion I was going for. 

I think some of the things a fair portion of what we airgun shooters are dealing with are POI shifts during the match, both with slugs and pellets. The gun I was using in the January match had that happen by the 3rd lane that I shot, then I proceeded to NOT SEE where my misses were on the steel "until my 3rd from the last shot which hit 1.5" high" at 50-ish yards. Since I saw it hit that high I compensated by dialing for 70Y instead of 82Y, a .6 mil difference, and hit the 2"-ish KZ at 82Y with my last two shots. 

My other point would be IF THE DOPE IS OFF for whatever reason, possibly the aforementioned as well as POI SHIFTING - meaning both combined going on at the same time, well now trying to hit stuff is a becoming a real B!TCH, lol!

Steve, yeah, that's the first time that gun (Bleu) ever didn't hold POI, and I found out why when I returned to SD. I was baffled, and the first shot I took with it blew out the breech o-ring which was VERY worn, I think that explains it. My bad, loaned you a bum gun - or was that a part of my strategy? ;) After Novembers match, which was the last time I shot the gun, I went 33/36 in practice on the non off hand targets with .217 JSB KO slugs, so I thought it would be good to go for you. Sorry brother~!

I know I shot in front of you afterwards with the .25 Impact shooting NSA 43.5 grain slugs at 900 FPS. I did shoot over half the lanes prone, but don't think (this time) it made much of a difference since the last 5 lanes in competition I shot just as well bucket and sticks. I just wanted to point out that the difference between the high end rimfires (30) and a good air rifle shooting heavy high BC slugs (29) isn't very big anymore... and the conditions were significantly harder in during the practice round. Someone reading this might say "well, then why did you only shoot 22/40 in the competition?". Hell, can't really say. I do think I missed 11 out of the first 12 shots, until I executed the cranial anus extractus maneuver...

P.S., all three positions demonstrated above by Steve with that bad ass .30 Vulcan2 are reasonable...