The times they are a changing, even here. My recent WTB experience

If the seller insists on PP F&F even if you will pay the fees, DO NOT BUY, no matter how much you want the item. I was very lucky to get my $$ back.

yeah, when I read that part I was like "oh crap" ..but then he gave you your money back...WTF??

ONLY a scammer says F&F only when you offer to pay the Paypal fees. That's how I usually test someone I'm suspicious of. I can't believe you sent the money!

Glad it worked out. Quit chasing good deals and buy new! 

After watching the classifieds a couple days, I know I made the right decision. Everyone has different ideas of what makes the perfect gun. I see guys wanting $1,700-$1800 for a gun they likely got for $2,000. I paid like $2,350 for the M3 .22 Compact in bronze. I will come from the dealer with the FX gauges replaced with WIKA. a Superior Heavy liner in a carbon fiber liner, with the slug power kit installed, the trigger adjusted to 1.25-1.5#, and the first reg set to 180 bar and the second reg set to 150 bar.

I have zero use for a blue cheekpiece, an aluminum hand grip, a gold chassis or a power plenum installed by an amateur mechanic getting on the job training. By the time I do all the things being done to my gun, the cost in parts alone will add $300. If I pay someone $1700-$1,800 for someones Bubba’d up Frankengun, I might save 2-$300 for an older model gun, after I add the $300 in parts I’m putting on my new gun. Go through all that to save 10-15%.? My new gun will come with a warranty to me.

I don’t get some peoples logic. They buy a Compact gun which in an Impact is a 500mm barrel and a 300cc bottle. Then they put a 460cc bottle on. More shots yes-and heavier, and now with longer bottle, a short large diameter moderator will hit the longer bottle, so they must put on a slimmer longer moderator. The gun that was supposed to be short and light, is now long and heavy. Why not just buy a 600mm, with the bigger bottle and call it good? If I want a long range benchrest gun, I’ll use my silver MKII in .25 or my bronze M3 in .30 Just my opinion.

This hobby is loaded with guys who have no clue about what they actually need. They only know what they want at the moment. The positive is it puts a lot of stuff in the classifieds. The negative is some of it might be hacked up by google gunsmiths. I said this a long time ago on an archery forum. A topic was started about why do guys want so much money for their used bows. I feel if you’re not in over your head in what it costs to be in a hobby, you don’t need top dollar for your used stuff so you price it just to rid yourself of it quickly. A truly used price also make buyers more forgiving of little things they might find that were overlooked. Not with airguns. It’s top dollar used and I can’t afford to even take a 3% hit to give you peace of mind. So silly. But guys just keep buying and complaining. This is a scammers paradise.

This hobby is loaded with guys who have no clue about what they actually need. They only know what they want at the moment. The positive is it puts a lot of stuff in the classifieds. The negative is some of it might be hacked up by google gunsmiths. I said this a long time ago on an archery forum. A topic was started about why do guys want so much money for their used bows. I feel if you’re not in over your head in what it costs to be in a hobby, you don’t need top dollar for your used stuff so you price it just to rid yourself of it quickly. A truly used price also make buyers more forgiving of little things they might find that were overlooked. Not with airguns. It’s top dollar used and I can’t afford to even take a 3% hit to give you peace of mind. So silly. But guys just keep buying and complaining. This is a scammers paradise.

Great reply to a good thread. I was just sharing this with someone today, it would really surprise me to see an ad say “ just bought this gun last April. I used the heck out of it, and had fun. Probably 5 tins of pellets thru it. But it’s boring, and I want to move on....”, but instead, we see guns that ALL ARE BARELY USED, have LESS THAN A TIN thru them. 

Another one that cracks me up, is labeling it by a tuner. ERNEST TUNED. I know two guys on this forum that truly own not only tuned by Ernest gun, but also from Ernest’s private stock. Ernest has a trademark logo, and I typically look for that. 

If you sent your gun to FXUSA and had it repaired by the man himself, that doesn’t mean it’s Ernest Tuned. It means it’s been repaired by FX.

I am someone that appreciates high dollar items. I have a couple of Rolex watches but wear a several years old Timex that needs a new watchband. I bought Swarovski scopes because I could. I have a Swarovski scope on a Ruger 10/77 .22. I must admit that I am blown away by how much high end air rifles cost. I just bought a used Dreamline on this site for $900 and can't believe I did it. I am upgrading from a Benjamin Marauder. The Marauder is a fine gun by the way. Then again, what do I know as it is my first PCP. I don't have a clue what a plenum is being far more versed in powder guns. I owned poop loads of them including several class 3s. I now have no place to shoot except my backyard where the longest shot is 25 yards IF the target is way off in a tree not even on my property. The typical shot will be less than that. I have to have quiet as well as it is illegal to shoot even an airgun where I am. I have gotten older and more conservative. I remember when an older friend of mine told me of times when he bought gunpowder for a dime a pound. I was glad when it was $10-$12 a pound and have no idea what it is now. I say all this to verify that the times indeed "are a changin'".

I can relate. I am 65 years old and having lived in Chicago, did not even own my first rifle until 1997. I now have 2 safes full of firearms, 5 suppressors, 4 reloading presses, untold amounts of reloading supplies, five figures worth of night vision equipment, and no children or living heirs. My wife of almost 40 years tells me all the time what a burden all this stuff will be if I go TU. My current shooting situation is about the same as yours. I have 25 to 35 yards in my immediate backyard, but do have a spot over the hill where I can target shoot out to about 60 yards. There are about 30 open acres behind, where I'm not supposed to shoot, but have been getting by so far. The good thing is, I currently only have 9 airguns, 4 carbon fiber tanks, and a Bauer Jr II compressor that I bought new.

Vetmx, I agree with most of what you say except for the last part “This is a scammers paradise”. I keep hearing this, but it simply has not been my experience. In fact, my experience has been the opposite. The vast majority of the people who buy and sell on here are pretty good people. Of course, there are bad guys, and scammers, and a**holes. But with a minimum of due diligence one can avoid those.

Chris

Well, from reading this I see most people feel that slugs have a place and pellets do, based off your needs and the time and the conditions, and area you are shooting in. Also, it depends on the person willing to spend the time to get their slugs to shoot slugs, at least optimally.

In a future gun I do want one more dedicated to slugs, but day to day I definitely see pellets as the primary ammo. However, the brits have come up with some sub-12 ft/lbs slugs in .177 & 22 cals, called Mako Slugs which I am going to try to get for a more backyard friendly slug, which many aren't. I guess you could call it a "low power" tune, and from Ponty Pest Control comparing the Mako Slugs vs JSB Hades, again we are talking SUB 12 fpe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37bC3dSOVA&t=562s