Air Arms The story of Norma Jean, my Blonde TX200

I picked up my used TX200 in September 2023, about 1 month before EBR. It was a basic TX200 in a factory stock. After testing a few pellets, the H&N 10.65 squeaked by the best group.

Had a few practice sessions on the bench at 50 yards. I then shot it at EBR at the 50 yard benchrest competition. The wind was howling and a lot of colorful words were heard up and down the shooting line…..Well, we did pretty good and got the Silver medal. Missed Gold by 3 points. Podium was Tony T, Tony P. Tony S. Yeah they had to call us up by last name😂

image000000.JPEG

I put a Vortek kit in it and continued my journey with the TX. Tony T. was selling a LP Custom birch laminate stock unfinished that I couldn’t resist. I used 2 coats of Odie’s oil and 1 coat of Odie’s wax keeping the stock blonde. Team Centercut likes to name their rifles. It was Mike who said Norma Jean….Heck the stock even has a beauty mark on the cheek rest so Norma Jean she became.

IMG_6657.jpg

Next competition was the Sonoran Classic Grand Prix and I competed with Norma Jean. After 2 days of shooting we won the Silver Medal again. Missed the Gold by 4 points. Who was on the podium you may ask 🤔….Tony T. Tony P. and Tony S. 😱 We all were shooting TX200’s.

IMG_2168-1.jpg
IMG_6971.jpg

At the Sonoran Classic I spoke to Cameron K., a springer guru, and he shot Norma Jean. He said she was shooting a little hot and could use some internal smoothing out. He said he could have her done and back to me before the Arizona Piston/Springer State Championship. I pulled the workings out of the stock and handed them to Cameron. About 4 days later I received a package at my front door and Cameron had worked his magic on her.

Back into the stock and pellet testing. I had 4 days until the State Match to get her ready. Well a surprise to me was this time the H&N pellets came in 2nd. A beat up old tin of QYS 9 grainers took the top spot. They didn’t squeak by, they blew by. So I set up the ranging wheel and at a local practice match I whopped Tony T’s butt!!!! I also won my 5 dollars back I had lost at the Sonoran Classic from him. 😎

The big day arrived, but my springer mentor, Tony T couldn’t make it. We had a 52 shot course and Norma Jean nailed it! We got 49 out of 52, the top score out of all shooters. Norma Jean took the Gold Medal and the Arizona State Springer Championship home. Terry and Scott had a shoot off with 44 each and Terry pulled off second place.

image000000.JPG
ISIMG-1019633.jpg

Well Norma Jean and I are signed up for the Cajuns in a few weeks. Barbara and I will be down that way so why not. But alas my mentor and good friend Tony T. won't be there.

A big thanks goes out to

Dale @drpietrzak for helping me with all my questions on shooting a Springer off a bench. He got hammered with questions because it is my first springer....

Mark K. for teaching me how to take the rifle apart and where to lube it.

Tony T for working with me on how to shoot a springer and helping me get it all sighted in for HFT the first time. He is also great to shoot with. Not the best looking cheerleader, but always there with positive and supportive comments. He is always rooting for you to knock down the targets.

Cameron K. @Kerndtc for taking the time talking to me and handing out a few pointers at the practice line. Of course for the outstanding work he did tuning up Norma Jean

Tony P.

Last edited:
I picked up my used TX200 in September 2023, about 1 month before EBR. It was a basic TX200 in a factory stock. After testing a few pellets, the H&N 10.65 squeaked by the best group.

Had a few practice sessions on the bench at 50 yards. I then shot it at EBR at the 50 yard benchrest competition. The wind was howling and a lot of colorful words were heard up and down the shooting line…..Well, we did pretty good and got the Silver medal. Missed Gold by 3 points. Podium was Tony T, Tony P. Tony S. Yeah they had to call us up by last name😂

View attachment 450196

I put a Vortek kit in it and continued my journey with the TX. Tony T. was selling a LP Custom birch laminate stock unfinished that I couldn’t resist. I used 2 coats of Odie’s oil and 1 coat of Odie’s wax keeping the stock blonde. Team Centercut likes to name their rifles. It was Mike who said Norma Jean….Heck the stock even has a beauty mark on the cheek rest so Norma Jean she became.

View attachment 450197

Next competition was the Sonoran Classic Grand Prix and I competed with Norma Jean. After 2 days of shooting we won the Silver Medal again. Missed the Gold by 4 points. Who was on the podium you may ask 🤔….Tony T. Tony P. and Tony S. 😱 We all were shooting TX200’s.

View attachment 450198View attachment 450199

At the Sonoran Classic I spoke to Cameron K., a springer guru, and he shot Norma Jean. He said she was shooting a little hot and could use some internal smoothing out. He said he could have her done and back to me before the Arizona Piston/Springer State Championship. I pulled the workings out of the stock and handed them to Cameron. About 4 days later I received a package at my front door and Cameron had worked his magic on her.

Back into the stock and pellet testing. I had 4 days until the State Match to get her ready. Well a surprise to me was this time the H&N pellets came in 2nd. A beat up old tin of QYS 9 grainers took the top spot. They didn’t squeak by, they blew by. So I set up the ranging wheel and at a local practice match I whopped Tony T’s butt!!!! I also won my 5 dollars back I had lost at the Sonoran Classic from him. 😎

The big day arrived, but my springer mentor, Tony T couldn’t make it. We had a 52 shot course and Norma Jean nailed it! We got 49 out of 52, the top score out of all shooters. Norma Jean took the Gold Medal and the Arizona State Springer Championship home. Terry and Scott had a shoot off with 44 each and Terry pulled off second place.

View attachment 450200View attachment 450201

Well Norma Jean and I are signed up for the Cajuns in a few weeks. Barbara and I will be down that way so why not. But alas my mentor and good friend Tony T. won't be there.

A big thanks goes out to

Dale @drpietrzak for helping me with all my questions on shooting a Springer off a bench. He got hammered with questions because it is my first springer....

Mark K. for teaching me how to take the rifle apart and where to lube it.

Tony T for working with me on how to shoot a springer and helping me get it all sighted in for HFT the first time. He is also great to shoot with. Not the best looking cheerleader, but always there with positive and supportive comments. He is always rooting for you to knock down the targets.

Cameron K. @Kerndtc for taking the time talking to me and handing out a few pointers at the practice line. Of course for the outstanding work he did tuning up Norma Jean

Tony P.
Nice job!

See what great things happen to people when they remove themselves from my sphere of influence & evil? 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
You're kicking butt with the TX! Good on ya but I STILL miss our hunting get-togethers. Laissez les bon Temps roller at the Cajun deal my friend.
One day I will be back for a hunting trip Gerry....

Tony P.

So the Cajun’s are done and anybody who has a chance to shoot there needs to! The venue is one of the most intriguing I have shot in. The lanes are all under the tree canopy, most are shaded which makes ranging very hard at 16X. There were a lot of targets in the trees and this is the first time I have ever shot like this.

IMG_9720.jpeg

I was teamed up with 2 of the locals. Those bayou boys can shoot!!!…..After day 1 Norma Jean and I were in 3rd place behind the “Bayou Boys”. I had a 36, Kenny 37 and Mike a 41. There were 2 35’s nipping on our tail.

Day 2 starts and who am I teamed up with again 🤔. The Bayou Boys 😱. Well on day 2 Norma Jean and I were on fire the first 8 lanes, (We started on lane 8) but I let her down on the second half for sure. We ended up with high score on day 2 with a 44, Mike got a 43 and Kenny a 41. It wasn’t enough to knock Mike out of 1st place, but we squeaked by Kenny for 2nd.

IMG_9722.jpeg

Mike 84, Norma Jean 80, Kenny 78 and 4th was a 72.

I want to thank the Bayou Boys, Mike and Kenny, for making me feel welcome….Really everybody working at the Cajuns made you feel welcome. There was good food, lots of laughing, joking and an all round good time…So if you get a chance to shoot there you really really need to.

Tony P

Last edited: