The Story of Laminate Stocks (article)

I have a couple and do like them, check out the Cousineau Wood Products site,cwp..and see some of the different color combinations you can get.

@boscoebrea I’ll have to check them out. I was looking at some Boyd’s stocks. Seems they may only stock Marauder stocks as far as air rifles are concerned. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/custom-search-results
It’d be interesting to know if they do custom stocks. Looks like they’re based in S. Dakota. 

Boyds does have them,plus one for the Discovery,I used that one for my Prod build...Also check out Richards Micro fit stocks....they have great prices,they had one for a Mrod...

I also have some custom laminated stocks for my Ruger 10/22s....I think laminates are heavier than Walnut....my problem is sooner or later I bang my stocks,and laminate shows bumps less.

Many thanks for posting that link, Ezana; I found it very interesting and informative on several levels. The first of which is the author has not only been a gun writer for a LONG time, but one of few I've been impressed with. I'd put Jon Sundra among my top 10-20% outdoor-sports writers. 

Always a wood freak, my freakdom reached stratospheric levels when I was a professional bowyer around the turn of the millennium. And although I was smitten by all manner of rosewoods and exotics, the laminated 'man-made wood product' known in archery vernacular as Actionwood was/is in several ways superior to all but the very best natural woods for bow-making. The short-list of such incredible natural bow woods includes Osage (Bois d'Arc- literal translation "wood of the bow"), Yew, and Bamboo. And being strongly prejudiced in favor of natural products, especially when they make sense, I've often referred to the "man-made wood product" of which we now speak derogatorily as "HIGH-TECH PLYWOOD". The story in your link proves the accuracy of my interpretation. BTW, being the world's worst tencho-grouch (and proud of it), the most derogatory part my derogatory description is the term 'high-tech'.

3 risers.1648587675.JPG

Two bows on the left are of natural exotic woods; right bow is of laminated "man-made wood product".

Walnut has always been my favorite gun-stock material, and plastic my least favorite. Suffice to say I'm a "form over function" kind'a guy. Consequently, when given a choice between plastic and ANY kind of wood stock, my decision is a foregone conclusion. And although I'll almost always choose Mother Nature's offerings over Man's artificial substitutes, the exception is laminated 'man-made wood product'; which falls between my favorite (walnut) and least favorite natural stock material (white-woods). White-wood stocks are more commonly known by the shameless-marketeering term, 'walnut-stained hardwood stock'. Be it purposely or ignorantly, sellers often misrepresent used 'walnut-stained hardwood' stocked guns FALSELY as "walnut stock".

Bantam.1648588083.JPG

A lovely example of a "walnut-stained hardwood" stocked rifle.

I'm about to make a confession that, should (any of) you let get out, might cost you your life(s)! ;-) 

More-so than even in archery bows, laminated-wood gun stocks are functionally superior to natural wood stocks in every way but aesthetics. And to any eyes not terminally afflicted with natural-itis, can be just a beautiful. An excellent example (in my opinion)-

Sniper bipod.1648587961.jpg

Since returning home after Airguns Of Arizona replaced the defective barrel on my .22 Brocock Bantam Sniper XR Laminate, I've decided Black Bart is my "do everything except Extreme Field Target and WALNUT" air rifle.

Thanks again for sharing that excellent article Ezana.

Reactions: oaks1450
Many thanks for posting that link, Ezana; I found it very interesting and informative on several levels. The first of which is the author has not only been a gun writer for a LONG time, but one of few I've been impressed with. I'd put Jon Sundra among my top 10-20% outdoor-sports writers. 

Always a wood freak, my freakdom reached stratospheric levels when I was a professional bowyer around the turn of the millennium. And although I was smitten by all manner of rosewoods and exotics, the laminated 'man-made wood product' known in archery vernacular as Actionwood was/is in several ways superior to all but the very best natural woods for bow-making. The short-list of such incredible natural bow woods includes Osage (Bois d'Arc- literal translation "wood of the bow"), Yew, and Bamboo. And being strongly prejudiced in favor of natural products, especially when they make sense, I've often referred to the "man-made wood product" of which we now speak derogatorily as "HIGH-TECH PLYWOOD". The story in your link proves the accuracy of my interpretation. BTW, being the world's worst tencho-grouch (and proud of it), the most derogatory part my derogatory description is the term 'high-tech'. […]

An excellent example (in my opinion)-

Sniper bipod.1648587961.jpg

Since returning home after Airguns Of Arizona replaced the defective barrel on my .22 Brocock Bantam Sniper XR Laminate, I've decided Black Bart is my "do everything except Extreme Field Target and WALNUT" air rifle.

@airngasman Ron I had to laugh at the underlined quote. That’s hilarious. I definitely learned some things about the process and strength of the product. That Brocock stock is beautiful.