The Steyr Pro X - Semi Auto Airgun - The Greatest Trigger Ever

That's interesting about the loose pellets. I'd assume if they were that loose they would shoot poorly. I guess we will have to disagree on the trigger. I'm curious which bullpup trigger you'd put in front of this gun? I was able to put 5 shots on a moving target (squirrel)... I don't think there is an airgun trigger that can consistently do that besides this one.
As long as we stay in the subset of bullpups, I agree that the trigger is the best I've seen or used.
Must have been a tough squirrel to require 5 shots for a kill.

I also have a steyr lp50 hp model its a 5 shot semi auto and if you don't have tight skirts the pellets can get tweaked as your inserting the magazine. Since the magazine is essentially in line with the barrel it acts in a way like part of the barrel so it's important to have as tight a seal as reasonably possible on ALL the Steyr Semi Autos

I've had a Scout for well over a year, my favorite gun at the present time. Only issue that has come up is if the pellets are a loose in the mag they can dislodge while in the gun and cause a jam. As long as the pellets are snug in the mag your ok.
It does have a nice trigger, but certainly not "The greatest ever".
Bill
I had this problem with mine. JSB pellets fixed it, they are snug no issues after I switched.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I have a Styer pro x in 22 for a it over a year , OK Id like to give my input , gun build quality is 10 , the loose pellet thing being discussed here Id like to talk about , ok the mags have no orings and are a straight hole not tapered in any way , so the mag hole is a whisker larger then the barrel bore so a loose pellet in mag still shoots lazer as it is tight in barrel , so only issue using a smaller diameter pellet it when you put the mag in gun the barrel needs to be pointed slightly down so gravity does not allow a pellet to slip out a bit , Now to cure this 5.52 pellets fit snug and need to be flush and are tight , I find HN 18 grains to be perfect ammo for mine , but as far as accuracy it shoots any ammo lazer , The gun is a 30fpe pellet gun or less it is not a slug gun or hi power gun , This gun has never skipped a beat for me or misfired or has had 1 flaw ,
I remember when I got it new I removed barrel to clean it and look in it with fibre optic what a superb barrel and stunning machine work , Now let me tell you when I put barrel in after cleaning barrel out of gun I put it back in loaded a mag and gun did not cycle ( which to my surprise at time was my fault) heck I owned many pcp and I must of removed latterly hundreds of barrels,
i called Pilkington guns, and spoke to them they explained the barrel hold down screws are drilled on an angle and they are usedto adjust the forward and rear position of barrel then the other screws are to lock it in place so you must get the barrel to belike as close te to magisine with out causing a drag which can prevent cycling and too loose it will not cycle as air would escape blow air out between mag and barrel , This gun is very nice , The trigger is excellent as stated , Mine is the longer version , I never had it leak either , cleaning can be done with a puch threw , I do mine differently I use a carbon bfibre cleaning rod with a cotten bore mop ( made out of plastic not steel , Styer has spent alot of time designing and testing before putting this on market it has 0 flaws , The gun is not cheap but you getting gun which has good materals and build quality ,
I even adjusted my hammer spring down to 20fpe and even 12fpe it shoots great at any speed , the barrel is not tapped for moderator or shrouded so if you want to tame it , a slip on adapter is sold for them , I did fit one on mine and it is queit as well ,
LOU

I have both the Pro X10 and the Hunting 5SA both have the power set to 40 J; both guns are stellar in all ways. Unless you spend time with a Steyr the feeling is hard to explain
Same here! Love both guns.

Interestingly, for me thy shoot the 15.9 grain JSBs a bit better than the 18.1. Both the 15.9 and the 18.1 generate almost exactly 30 FPE (40 Joules). What i don’t understand is the comment about pellets being loose in the magazine. In both my Pro-X and my H5SA the pellets fit the mags quite tightly, to the extent that i actually use a little tool (back end of a Sharpie marker 😇) to seat them in the mags. This is for both the 6 Pro-X mags (10 rounds) and the 8 H5SA mags (5 rounds each) that I have.

Reactions: orangeokie
I have a Styer pro x in 22 for a it over a year , OK Id like to give my input , gun build quality is 10 , the loose pellet thing being discussed here Id like to talk about , ok the mags have no orings and are a straight hole not tapered in any way , so the mag hole is a whisker larger then the barrel bore so a loose pellet in mag still shoots lazer as it is tight in barrel , so only issue using a smaller diameter pellet it when you put the mag in gun the barrel needs to be pointed slightly down so gravity does not allow a pellet to slip out a bit , Now to cure this 5.52 pellets fit snug and need to be flush and are tight , I find HN 18 grains to be perfect ammo for mine , but as far as accuracy it shoots any ammo lazer , The gun is a 30fpe pellet gun or less it is not a slug gun or hi power gun , This gun has never skipped a beat for me or misfired or has had 1 flaw ,
I remember when I got it new I removed barrel to clean it and look in it with fibre optic what a superb barrel and stunning machine work , Now let me tell you when I put barrel in after cleaning barrel out of gun I put it back in loaded a mag and gun did not cycle ( which to my surprise at time was my fault) heck I owned many pcp and I must of removed latterly hundreds of barrels,
i called Pilkington guns, and spoke to them they explained the barrel hold down screws are drilled on an angle and they are usedto adjust the forward and rear position of barrel then the other screws are to lock it in place so you must get the barrel to belike as close te to magisine with out causing a drag which can prevent cycling and too loose it will not cycle as air would escape blow air out between mag and barrel , This gun is very nice , The trigger is excellent as stated , Mine is the longer version , I never had it leak either , cleaning can be done with a puch threw , I do mine differently I use a carbon bfibre cleaning rod with a cotten bore mop ( made out of plastic not steel , Styer has spent alot of time designing and testing before putting this on market it has 0 flaws , The gun is not cheap but you getting gun which has good materals and build quality ,
I even adjusted my hammer spring down to 20fpe and even 12fpe it shoots great at any speed , the barrel is not tapped for moderator or shrouded so if you want to tame it , a slip on adapter is sold for them , I did fit one on mine and it is queit as well ,
LOU
There’s just nothing bad to say about the Steyrs in my opinion. OK, except for maybe the eye watering price. Like you, I learned about the way the barrel attaches when I couldn’t get my Steyr LP 50 pistol to cycle and called Pilkington. I’ve never had that problem with either my Pro-X or my Hunting 5 SA Scout.

I did find both rifles Very Loud when I first got them. The Steyr slip-on adapter for a silencer was unavailable everywhere here when I got the Pro-X so I ordered one from Krale and it worked perfectly. For the Hunting 5 I couldn’t find the Steyr adapter even from Krale, but a DonnyFL 16mm one worked fine, so that’s what i have. The difference between the unsilenced guns and them with a silencer/moderator is quite dramatic. I never even take the mods off the gun.

One change I have made though, is to remove the weaver/Picatinny scope rail from the Pro-X and mount the scope using a set of dovetail mounts. I found the OEM scope rail raised the scope up too much for me.
E86E12B6-FC48-4296-8AFA-D48C49E78489.jpeg
12C8B3BD-C53E-4958-B5BA-9445462384A4.jpeg

For plinking I use the CP 14.3 GR. It's not easy getting them in the mag with your finger. I use my finger nail to do the final push since I'm just messing around. The JSB 16 and 18 gr are equal precision wise in mine and are more precise than the CP's. They fit better in the mags too, I'd say just right.

I like my ProX A LOT!!!

My pellets aren't really loose in the mag. I shoot JSB's and seat them completely flush with the muzzle side of the mag, using whatever is close by such as pencil point, pen or Bic pen top. They do take a little pressure to seat them.

The problem is when the mags are loaded with pellets it takes very little to knock the pellets out. If loaded mags are put in the foam Steyr case half of the pellets have fallen out of the mag the next time the case is opened. Can't even think about putting loaded mags in you pocket. I have the same situation with the mags for my Hunting 5 auto.

Not that big of a problem, when you consider how nice the guns are.

I’ve had the Hunting 5 for about 4 years now. Other airguns have come and gone, but my Steyr is a keeper. I found the triggers to be a little heavy. But either Marlon Layton or M Mahoney had some lighter trigger springs and that changed everything. Like a match trigger now. I was also lucky enough that a member had lathed the end of a barrel to accept a moderator. Whisper quiet. I use a Bic pen tip to push the pellets into the magazines. By pushing against a flat surface the pen cap flares the skirts off the pellets and seals the magazine holes. A fingernail push on the other side makes sure the heads don’t protrude outside the front of the magazine. Of course my mags only hold 5 shots, but I load 8 at a time and am usually topping off the air in my gun. Yes, they’re expensive, but I feel I’ve got my money’s worth is ease of ownership (they’re very durable) and smiles. There is nothing worse than a miss, but when you can see the pellet splash, realign and make a solid hit- priceless! For all you new Steyr owners, be it bullpup or dinosaurs like me, enjoy!

Hi,
I have a pro x, the long version. I found out it is tuned to 24ft.pound, hence I can only shoot nsa 17.5gr .2165 slugs at 770 ft/sec max. I tried to adjust the hammer to shoot faster and it immediately caused magazine cycling issue for the last two rounds. So I had to back down the hammer to where it was.

Do you know any other way you make it shoot faster without cause the cycling issue? Do you know how much the reg is set on this gun? Is there a way you adjust the reg without causing any issue?

Thanks,

Vic

My pellets aren't really loose in the mag. I shoot JSB's and seat them completely flush with the muzzle side of the mag, using whatever is close by such as pencil point, pen or Bic pen top. They do take a little pressure to seat them.

The problem is when the mags are loaded with pellets it takes very little to knock the pellets out. If loaded mags are put in the foam Steyr case half of the pellets have fallen out of the mag the next time the case is opened. Can't even think about putting loaded mags in you pocket. I have the same situation with the mags for my Hunting 5 auto.

Not that big of a problem, when you consider how nice the guns are.
A company called kube makes these mag holders note this one is for weihrauch :
6943B1C7-09CB-4B8A-BBBA-09009C02FC39.jpeg