• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Steyr Pro X - Semi Auto Airgun - The Greatest Trigger Ever

I think it is on Etsy under Kube 3D

Thanks for the info.

I looked them up under Etsy, but they did not have the Steyr magazine holders listed there. However under their own website (kube3d.co.uk ) they do have the Hunting 5 magazine holders. I just purchased one to hold 4 mags, plus a 5 mag holder for FX Crown magazines.

I'm wondering what height scope rings you guys are using. Just mounted a scope with standard one piece mount and the scope is really high up for a good cheek weld.
I took the Picatinny rail off mine because it just raised everything too high. There is a standard dovetail under it, and you can either use lower dovetail mounts or do what i did, put a dovetail to Pic adapter and use your standard weaver or Picatinny rails.
OLD
1669308592688.jpeg

NEW
1669308685619.jpeg

I have a number of “high end“ guns, and started shooting air rifles in the late 1960’s. Feinwerkbau, Walther, Hammerli, Daystate, FX, American Air Arms, Edgun, BSA, Weirauch have all crossed my path over the years.... springers to the latest.
As a long standing customer of Brian, he recommended the .22 Scout for my needs…. And he was right! The Scout is more compact and unlike the Pro-X, it comes with a shrouded barrel that makes it surprisingly quiet and a mod isn’t needed.
I was also surprised to see the picatinny scope rail has a 20 MOA angle built in.
I have to agree with everything Tim said in his review. The fit and finish and quality is apparent as soon as you open the full size hard case. And, as a plus, my walnut stock is grained and figured in places, rather than a “plain” looking piece of wood. The factory shot card that comes with it used 15.89 pellets at 25 yards and produced a group easily covered by a dime. it measures .331 of an inch or 8.4mm center to center.
After sighting in and smiling due to the accuracy and smoothness of the firing cycle, I decided to tweak the gun for my preference..., A simple half turn on the hammer spring adjustment screw and the following 30 shots produced…..
Hi 858, low, 849, Average 853, Spread 9, STD Deviation 3.4 with JSB 18’s….IMO the optimum speed for the 18’s, and my Hades then shot at 908FPS with out of the box accuracy.
The air cylinder is smaller than the full size Pro-X, so I got 5 full magazines before it begins to fall off the reg.
Can certain other guns be this accurate out of the box? Yes!! But the ease, smoothness and quality from muzzle to butt pad is a hallmark of Steyr. Kind of like Ferrari in a way.... advertising doesn’t seem to be needed much, and if so, by factory rep. They don’t pay or have a “team” of regular reviewers to “bless“ their products. They’ve been happy with word of mouth sales, and a legacy of international competition successes for its products. The USA has not been their bread and butter, but I think The Pro-X and Hunting 5 rifles will begin to change that. Semi-auto as fast as your finger can move, with this quality makes the Pro-X’s impressive rifles in every way, but that’s what you pay for with Steyr.

Last edited:
Quick question - does anyone else's ear actually hurt when they shoot their ProX? Mine is so freaking loud it makes my ear ring. It's around 108-110 dB from the mag area measured on my phone when it goes off.

Thinking maybe I should adjust the barrel back just a touch, but welcome other's input first.

Mine's a little loud on my ear too. Ear plugs if I'll be using it a while.

Interesting. I found it very loud without a mod, including at the ear. However once I put a moderator on it I do not find it objectionable at all.

The pop noise by my ear is a downside and don't see a work around except the ear plugs.

My Steyr LGB1 and LP5 don't seem to have any "pop sound" at the breech but they are only 6fpe and aren't right under my ear either. I bought both those new and had the LP5 pistol rebuilt at Pilk because it was 20 years old.

Would I rather not hear that pop, sure.
Could be that my barrel is a tad too far away from the mag, I don't know.
I could send it in for a check up and possible repair but I fear that'd could cost $400 by the time I was done.

The noise from the discharge of air out the barrel doesn't bother me because I'm used to shooting firearms anyway and am far enough away from neighbors to not cause a problem.

I haven't found a perfect airgun yet and if I did I doubt it would stay that way for long :D

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I actually find the Leshiy 2 worse in this respect than the Pro X. I don’t know if it a psychological trick that my mind is playing on me, but the Pro X without the mod seemed loud at both ends. With the mod the muzzle sound is WAAY down, and the sound at the magazine doesn’t seem as bad as it used to. With the L2 I am able to tame the muzzle sound with a Huma Mod 40, but the sound at the mag remains a bit loud. It’s not bad enough for me to want to wear earplugs, but still loud. Now with my forearms I often double up my ear pro . I‘ll use ear plugs under an electronic hearing protector.