N/A The semi-sisters

weevil

Dec 19, 2022
Utah
JFF on a rainy day:

IMG_0713.jpeg

Huben GK1 .22; A very flexible performer, currently shooting GTOs at 900fps. Resume highlight: 1cm double tap on a coon head at 40y

Leshiy 2 .177, 250mm; A determined ratter with a 5X prism and laser to score at any range, shooting Zan 10 grain slugs at 875fps with a 150bar reg pressure. Resume highlight: multiple rats at 80 yards

Huben K1 .25; The night owl with the infra red vision, shooting JSB hades at 930fps. Resume highlight; 100% record in protecting her beloved chickens

Sidewinder S Mini .30; The newest member of the crew, shooting 45 grain JSBs at 860fps. Resume highlight; extreme accuracy that isn’t actually needed. Just the sound of a short burst of full auto sends all pests in the neighborhood underground

JFF on a rainy day:

View attachment 431642

Huben GK1 .22; A very flexible performer, currently shooting GTOs at 900fps. Resume highlight: 1cm double tap on a coon head at 40y

Leshiy 2 .177, 250mm; A determined ratter with a 5X prism and laser to score at any range, shooting Zan 10 grain slugs at 875fps with a 150bar reg pressure. Resume highlight: multiple rats at 80 yards

Huben K1 .25; The night owl with the infra red vision, shooting JSB hades at 930fps. Resume highlight; 100% record in protecting her beloved chickens

Sidewinder S Mini .30; The newest member of the crew, shooting 45 grain JSBs at 860fps. Resume highlight; extreme accuracy that isn’t actually needed. Just the sound of a short burst of full auto sends all pests in the neighborhood underground
On the .177 L2, what jets do you have installed?

Also- nice rigs : )

I have been toying with getting the Sidewinder Mini.
Since getting my Rattler 357 I have developed an appreciation for the semi auto.
Consensus from owners is that the accuracy is very good.
My full size model is a tack driver. Sub 1” groups at 60 yards are routine. I’m not sure which is more accurate, the Sidewinder or the K1.

On the .177 L2, what jets do you have installed?

Also- nice rigs : )
Aside from cleaning the barrel, bumping the reg and adding an STO moderator insert, I haven’t modified that L2 from new, so I don’t know. What do they have in stock form? Having read about so many issues with creep, indexing and accuracy, I’m not inclined to futz with it because it’s a little tackdriver with a very consistent reg. The STO insert REALLY quietened it down. I don’t even know if it has an Alfa or LW barrel!

I like em all but now that they’re all in bed, I can tell you the dirty secret that the GK1 is all you’d ever need. It’s as accurate as anything else if you put it on a bag and hold down the front of the airtube. Although it lacks a reg, its hammerless system buffers shot speeds so it can shoot long strings with a low ES. Then, because it lacks a reg, there’s no plenum to refill for quick double or triple taps. You can get them off at 5X the speed of the L2 because the trigger is sublime. Likely (although I haven’t timed ‘em) faster than the Sidewinder in full auto and with more shots in the mag. If you’re invaded by zombies, it’ll shoot 40 grain slugs at 70fpe. You can put it in the glovebox of your vehicle or in a small backpack. The staff at Utah Airguns refuse my offers to let them shoot it in the range: “Ive seen enough to know that if I shot it, I’d have to buy one”

Would you recommend getting a .30 Sidewinder S Compact or the .30 Leshiy 350mm? The primary purpose of this gun will be to take with me on camping/backpacking trips so that I can hunt small and medium sized game. Therefore, lightness compactness are key. However, I would like to have the ability to take coyote or even (very small) deer) so power can’t be slacking either. It’s secondary purpose will be as a “truck” and “plinking” gun: I would like to be able to easily pull it out and start shooting in my backyard, on a hike, etc.
Any feedback and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don’t mind spending the money, because I plan to use this gun for more than 90% of the shooting I do. Thank you in advance to everyone who is willing to help! I could really use some input from a more experienced air gun user, and I will greatly appreciate any information provided.

Would you recommend getting a .30 Sidewinder S Compact or the .30 Leshiy 350mm? The primary purpose of this gun will be to take with me on camping/backpacking trips so that I can hunt small and medium sized game. Therefore, lightness compactness are key. However, I would like to have the ability to take coyote or even (very small) deer) so power can’t be slacking either. It’s secondary purpose will be as a “truck” and “plinking” gun: I would like to be able to easily pull it out and start shooting in my backyard, on a hike, etc.
Any feedback and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don’t mind spending the money, because I plan to use this gun for more than 90% of the shooting I do. Thank you in advance to everyone who is willing to help! I could really use some input from a more experienced air gun user, and I will greatly appreciate any information provided.
I know you’re posing the question to @weevil but I guess I’ll comment on the specs.

Sidewinder compact in .30 will max out at ~100 fpe but still have a 27” OAL
L2 in .30 @ 350mm will do 70 fpe in a 18” OAL if you’re using the original factory suppressor. Using the behemoth you can bring it down even more, nearly touching the barrel length itself to ~14” (the butt is 300mm, ~12” which is shorter than the barrel).

I would get the Huben pistol in 25 along with one of the many stocks that are coming out now. You can dial it up with a heavy pellet or slug for the occasional 70-80fpe shot or run very flat and consistent strings at 30-40fpe. With a scope, even in just pistol config, I can shoot 1/2in groups at 50y from a rice bag. Check the pistol threads on here for info on the detachable stocks that are emerging. Neither the L2 or Sidewinder are in the same league regarding portability. I take the pistol hiking and Xcountry skiing and it is a game changer. At half the price of the others!

I would get the Huben pistol in 25 along with one of the many stocks that are coming out now. You can dial it up with a heavy pellet or slug for the occasional 70-80fpe shot or run very flat and consistent strings at 30-40fpe. With a scope, even in just pistol config, I can shoot 1/2in groups at 50y from a rice bag. Check the pistol threads on here for info on the detachable stocks that are emerging. Neither the L2 or Sidewinder are in the same league regarding portability. I take the pistol hiking and Xcountry skiing and it is a game changer. At half the price of the others!
I have to second this recommendation. I just received my Huben GK1 (in .22) and I absolutely love it. The adjustability is mind bending. Easily turned up from low power (12 FPE) up to - so far - 40FPE and everything in between in basically 4 quarter turns of the Allen key. I know I can get it up over 70 FPE wide open with a full pressure tube.

I’ve mounted a red dot on mine and it is a consistent tack driver, with 19 shots on board. The .25 has “only” 17 shots, but even more power! I love my .22 so much that I am seriously considering getting a second one in .25 and setting it up as a very short carbine using one of the many stock attachments (I got the rear Picatinny rail adapter from Moistone (Andrew) here on AGN - his web site is Huben3dpatrs.com).

For the record, I have a number of semi-autos - Leshiy 2, Huben K1, Steyr ProX and Steyr Hunting 5 SA. I love them all, but this GK1 has really opened my eyes.

Chris

Thank you so much for timely (and very useful) response. I had no idea rhe KG1 was such a beast! Also didn’t know that production of new stock designs were starting. You may have just saved me a $1,500 and a whole lot of buyers remorse in the future 😮‍💨. I am seeing two different versions of this gun: “V1” and “V3”. Which of these two models/versions would you recommend buying in .25? To me, it almost looks like the V1 might be a prototype… but I’m very far from anything resembling an expert haha, so I really have no clue.

Lastly, what moderator would you recommend? I am currently considering either a Huggett “Mini Magna” or a “Huggett “snipe”, but i’m open to any/all suggestions. I will say that I do not need it 100% silent, but would like it somewhat backyard (1/2 acre) friendly if possible… reduced size/weight is more appealing to me than complete silence.

Once again, I cannot, thank you enough for all this! It truly means a lot, and I hope one day I can return the favor 👍