The right tool for the job - CHRONOGRAPHS!

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
What type of chronograph do you use?

chrony.1638298893.jpeg

A. FX pocket chronograph

B. Competition Electronics Pro Chrono

C. Lab Radar

We use all of them for different reasons!!!

A. The FX Airguns pocket chronograph for outdoor and on-the-go work. Available via many fine airgun retailers.

B. The Competition Electronics chronograph for indoor (or outdoor) tuning work. Available via Pyramyd Air & Airgun Depot

C. The Labradar for outdoor calculations of ballistic coefficient at various distances. Available via many airgun retailers.

We've also heard good things about Magnetospeed and Air-Chrony, but we don't own either of those.

I started with the Caldwell chronograph kit below as my first chronograph. It worked OK, and got me started once I understood why measuring speed was so important.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph-Shooting/dp/B00HTN5290/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2FQN-dTDNk4L-1bFao2B_l9Bcu1V8lgNOPuO7vryNYHgEkdqVUGdRMaArrtEALw_wcB&hvadid=410001158130&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026792&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14014745355154760098&hvtargid=kwd-95107576985&hydadcr=9405_11542704&keywords=caldwell+chronograph&qid=1638309098&sr=8-2

A while later, after watching Giles video below, I decided to upgrade to an FX MK2 pocket chronograph. Now the Caldwell is restricted to powder burner load testing only. I cannot say enough good things about the FX MK2 pocket chronograph. My only "complaint" is the price, but if you are deep enough in the hobby and want a chronograph that it dead-nuts simple to use, go with the FX. The portability and ease of setup means I use it without hesitation.

https://www.airgun101.com/airgun-gear-show/video/mk2-fx-airguns-chronograph-fps-wars-wedding-from-hell

FX here.

Started years ago with a Pro Chono. Needless to say I don’t miss that disaster for a minute. PIA to set up, constant lighting issues, always adjusting angle when shooting at multiple targets.

The FX takes me about 5 seconds to slide on, shoot any direction, and no more lighting issues!

E10DAF28-66E4-4628-AB1D-58F69C7098E2.1638318609.jpeg

I could see a need for the others if I reloaded powder burners but I try to shoot those as little as possible.

After using this lovely chrony, I put my FX chronograph away! Now I can use my phone to take notes of my shots instead of displaying fps numbers. It's also much lighter than Fx chrony so less stress on barrel if you hang.

IMG_2081.1638308216.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E I guess it's a type B.

For details you can check out this thread: 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/26-chrony-on-aliexpress/

Same thing I use and never have regretted buying it. Just about the best bang for the buck for a chrony for airguns. Always works and REALLY inexpensive!

i dont want a dogknot hanging off my gun ... a caldwell is cheap and works fine for my use which is basically just setting a gun up, knowing where its at .. it just needs to be on a short tripod on the bench about 1-2' out from the muzzle and with enough ambient light, just no direct sun or leds .. set it up well and it gives no errors or very few and i dont care about occasional errors .. i care less about that than i would about hanging something actually on my gun, my guns arnt even high end and i dont want a pos actually on the barrel ..wtf is that crap lol ...

I have the Caldwell and FX chronographs (and a couple others). for me, the FX wins hands down. Built a mount that attaches to a pic rail out of half inch PVC I had laying around and a spare scope ring. Setup at the range is about 30 seconds and I don't irritate the range masters by taking time to setup a tripod in front of the bench. Transmits to my phone and I can email the results to my mail box. for me, it ticks all the boxes. It isn't cheap, but I like it.

None, yet. What do you think about the prochrono dlx? I just read a scathing review of it regarding pellets.

I have one and love it ! Just recently used the Bluetooth function which is great to store your data. Sometimes in low lighting or cloudy days some shots may not be picked up. But that happens with any of this type of chronograph. Overall I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

A. FX pocket chronograph
I absolutely love mine. I had been considering the ProChrono when the FX came out, and I am very glad I did. Love that can throw it in the range bag, or usually just leave it on the gun. Quick and easy and it works.

I was inspired by an Ernest video and made an adapter, like others, so I don’t have to hang it off the barrel. I can move around, shoot different targets, and never move the chrono and it gets every shot. Also don’t have to worry about shooting it!

2EA309B7-A36A-4486-B2AD-FB73E44D0C29.1638391754.jpeg
8487F0EB-06B0-4B30-80CB-3D3CDCD0764E.1638391756.jpeg

None, yet. What do you think about the prochrono dlx? I just read a scathing review of it regarding pellets.

I have had the older ProChrono for years and it is great. Used with .177 pellets at 600 fps up to .30 slugs at 1000fps. I recently picked up a DLX. The DLX is pretty much the came chrony, but now with bluetooth and an awesome mobile app. These style of chronographs are very accurate and reliable with the proper lighting conditions. That is the catch - weird lighting conditions will throw them off. Indoors with the light kit and cardboard blocking out any room lights, they are 100% reliable. I've even had great luck with a set of LED puck lights. Outdoors is usually OK, but I've had to add the puck lights in certain scenarios to get good readings. The factory infrared LED light kit is wired AC power only and they really need to get with the program and offer a battery option on that. Bottom line - if you ensure the light is right, they are rock solid.

I also have the FX chronograph but it hasn't been reliable or accurate at the ~960fps speeds I'm usually shooting, no matter what I do with regards to setup or batteries. 1 or 2 shots out of every 5 seems off. I consider the FX a last ditch option when I can't setup a proper optical chrony like the Prochrono, but even then it seems like a bit of a guess where I have to mentally judge whether I should trust or disregard the last reading. In no way would I consider this as a primary chrony to do any serious tuning.

I have had the older ProChrono for years and it is great. Used with .177 pellets at 600 fps up to .30 slugs at 1000fps. I recently picked up a DLX. The DLX is pretty much the came chrony, but now with bluetooth and an awesome mobile app. These style of chronographs are very accurate and reliable with the proper lighting conditions. That is the catch - weird lighting conditions will throw them off. Indoors with the light kit and cardboard blocking out any room lights, they are 100% reliable. I've even had great luck with a set of LED puck lights. Outdoors is usually OK, but I've had to add the puck lights in certain scenarios to get good readings. The factory infrared LED light kit is wired AC power only and they really need to get with the program and offer a battery option on that. Bottom line - if you ensure the light is right, they are rock solid.

I also have the FX chronograph but it hasn't been reliable or accurate at the ~960fps speeds I'm usually shooting, no matter what I do with regards to setup or batteries. 1 or 2 shots out of every 5 seems off. I consider the FX a last ditch option when I can't setup a proper optical chrony like the Prochrono, but even then it seems like a bit of a guess where I have to mentally judge whether I should trust or disregard the last reading. In no way would I consider this as a primary chrony to do any serious tuning.

I just started using my DLX with the Bluetooth APP on my Samsung Tab S6 computer. I like the fact that shot display numbers are about 4" tall. The shots are also announced with audio which is nice. I went with the DLX over the other Pro Chrono models because of accuracy. The DLX is listed as having a accuracy of .5% while the others are 1%. I never needed to use mine indoors so that wasn't a issue for me. As I mentioned, cloudy days are not the best conditions for this unit. Early mornings and late evenings also aren't the best times to use this unit. I've never used the sun shade and metal rods to use it in direct sunlight so I can't comment on how well it works in that mode. I use it in the shade of a building on a bright sunny day and don't have any problems. When I don’t get readings it's probably because of poor brightness.