• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Relationship Between Theoben and RAW Airguns

In reading up on Rapid Air Worx (RAW also formerly known as Rapid Air Weapons) I encountered the following article. https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/interviews/elite-opticals-stuart-grant-interview-w-mat-manning/

Occasionally I’d read posts about Theoben air rifles, but I wasn’t familiar with the brand. According to the article they were big in the UK in decades past. Apparently RAW rifles are a heavily based upon the older British Theoben rifles, but manufactured in the United States. The article states that RAW now owns the blueprints to Theoben airguns so if you have one you should be able look to RAW for replacement parts for your old Theoben. I’m not sure when it occurred, but it seems that RAW was acquired by Airforce (the makers of the Airforce Talon, Condor, and Texan air rifles). Informative read for me. Enjoy. 

Martin Rutherford ... founder of RAW has supported the THEOBEN PCP rifles all along. ( RAW in Tennessee )

As too other Non PCP Theoben's, never seen or heard of there support threw RAW years past ?

With the brand changing hands once again ( Now with AF in Texas ), not sure if support for past Theoben PCP's will continue and if so who with ??

Martin Rutherford ... founder of RAW has supported the THEOBEN PCP rifles all along. ( RAW in Tennessee )

As too other Non PCP Theoben's, never seen or heard of there support threw RAW years past ?

With the brand changing hands once again ( Now with AF in Texas ), not sure if support for past Theoben PCP's will continue and if so who with ??

@motorhead Good point. I really don’t know. I would hope that with the acquisition of the Theoben blueprints (by RAW) that Airforce acquired them as well and will be able to offer those parts to Theoben owners. I’d love to read some recent input from people directly involved. 

I believe Martin Rutherford worked for and then owned Theoben, moved to the US and established Rapid Air Weapons. He sold the company to AF in TX, but from what I understand still does most of the work on the rifles they sell. He has his own web page where he services both RAW and Theoben products:

https://www.airguns-usa.com/

poke around his site, it might answer most of your questions 

Reactions: dgeesaman
I believe air force bought the theoben brand name too.

hm1000x actually have raw theoben branding engraved in the action. I’ve seen as least one gun marked like that
FBF49E5F-8C2D-4719-BA9C-CADFF17FA3E7.1649943366.jpeg
what they means from a service perspective, not sure. But I believe some of the later theoben gun have interchangeable parts. The actually design is very similar. And as a whole, one of the easiest guns to service I’ve ever seen. 
anybody with experience can strip that rifle in 5 min. 

Martin is definitely servicing any variant of Theoben. 
Was considering having a V block, CF bottle, full reseal and reg rebuild done by him. I just inquired about a month ago. 
I could just sell as the little old full lefty regulated AZ MKII .22 that it is. I’m just not shooting anything other than my 10m rifle & pistol. 

18DEE5FB-2EFD-4926-85EC-20DB71C9DD45.1649963046.jpeg
F3E02E03-959C-43F6-8D84-A80F8D708FF3.1649963048.jpeg
CAC1E4E2-305D-4837-99B1-E884DB391542.1649963052.jpeg

Martin was the CEO of Theoben when Ben Taylor left....
So in the Last years... Martin was working with David Slade(TheobenUSA) making the Made in USA Stamped Rapid!!!
Once Theoben folded in the UK, Martin took control and Folded TheobenUSA into RAW.
He made was still producing Rapids models, while producing the RAW line up.
Then he sold the rights to Air Force... and the Rapid no Cease to Exist.....a very sad day in airguns!!

I just dropped off my HM1000 .22 with Martin weekend before last. He was out of water due to several lines freezing and breaking near him and the local water dept was scrambling to get them fixed. It looks like he has moved his equipment to his house and is operating there now. It was nice to meet him.
Get that man some water!

Martin was the CEO of Theoben when Ben Taylor left....
So in the Last years... Martin was working with David Slade(TheobenUSA) making the Made in USA Stamped Rapid!!!
Once Theoben folded in the UK, Martin took control and Folded TheobenUSA into RAW.
He made was still producing Rapids models, while producing the RAW line up.
Then he sold the rights to Air Force... and the Rapid no Cease to Exist.....a very sad day in airguns!!
David Slade is now Martin's neighbor in TN, and his company is Airgunwerks, with a website. And Martin's last name is spelled, Rutterford, not a typo.