• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Prophet VS FX Impact 3

I got to agree with Chris,

On the Prophet, From the begining the Impact was and not made for the average shooter, Now with all the training and fixing and repair videos out that might have changed,,,,,

But I really like to keep it simple and the fewer O-rings the better, I like to shoot and my 25 caliber Prophet lets me do that, I do not worry about leaks.

That's just me

Mike

Both are great guns that are accurate and you'd be happy with either one. 

RTI is a relatively new company and the Prophet has been out for about a year so there will not be many videos. The Impact has been around for years and changed the AG industry. FX was already a high end AG company b4 the Impact so they had the ability to meet the demand when it came out. 

For me, like others mentioned the Prophet is simple to work on and has 7 or 8 rings and this was the deciding factor for me. Ive been very happy with mine and no regrets.

I see people shoots 150+ yard even 200 with FX and there are too many videos on YouTube about the FX but not RTI+ lot of accessories and options for FX.

Well yeah. FX has been incredibly aggressive with their YouTube marketing. I'd wager that well over half the FX videos on YouTube are from people who didn't purchase them. Matt, Ted, Air Hunters, UpNorthAirgunner, Giles, Steve, etc. I love em and watch all their vids, and I don't think they're dishonest, but they might not choose FX if they had to purchase their own guns. 

20210516_101847.1624247699.jpg

Oh and for the guy saying that the are many video of long range with the impact and no much else...way before all those sponsored clowns .. this was the long range dada pellets only with crickets n Vulcans and now uragans..he has a vid shooting clays at 150y with a .177 ..10.34 g pellets..

O-ring o-rings everyone seems to think they are a problem for some reason. My Gen1 Impact is over three years old and has around 12,000 rounds through it now. I have tore it apart and put it back together six or eight times and the only o-ring I have had to replace is one I damaged on reassembly. The main o-rings I see needing replaced are on the regulator and likely most were blown out from improper adjustment.

The Impact is a vastly more tunable gun and there are so many FX and aftermarket parts made for them it is insane. Replacement parts are only a phone call or an e-mail away.

The Prophet seems to be a well built and accurate gun from all I have read and seen in reviews. So it should do just fine as well. I really have no idea how the part supply or support for it is though.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

RTI's website has a plethora of their own aftermarket + part availability and for as new as the company is in this market, I will give them credit for seemingly great aftermarket / post-purchase care and service.

If I were to dump that kind of money into an air gun, I'd get the prophet for the aforementioned reason, and it also looks a bit lighter and cleaner.

O-ring o-rings everyone seems to think they are a problem for some reason. My Gen1 Impact is over three years old and has around 12,000 rounds through it now. I have tore it apart and put it back together six or eight times and the only o-ring I have had to replace is one I damaged on reassembly. The main o-rings I see needing replaced are on the regulator and likely most were blown out from improper adjustment.

The Impact is a vastly more tunable gun and there are so many FX and aftermarket parts made for them it is insane. Replacement parts are only a phone call or an e-mail away.

The Prophet seems to be a well built and accurate gun from all I have read and seen in reviews. So it should do just fine as well. I really have no idea how the part supply or support for it is though.

I don't think that are a problem, per se. But they are inherently an additional failure point. The number of threads where an FX owner is having to replace an o-ring is like 5:1 compared to any other brand. 

If you're someone that loves to tinker constantly, then FX is cool. I used to be like that, but I've gotten to where I just want the gun to be set and forget after the initial set up/tune. 

Am here talking specifically at FX and RTI, I know there are lot of videos in different brands, appreciate your feedback an I wish that RTI do the same with their product.

RTI doesn’t have to pump out videos. They sell every gun they make. There’s no need for them to be in the entertainment business. I have a RTI and an Impact. The advantage the Impact has on the RTI is its more versatile. The advantages the RTI has on the Impact are its simple, durable, and has a real barrel that’s mounted solid. When your RTI goes off the reservation and has an issue, it can only be a couple things. When an Impact starts acting wacky, it could be a bunch of things.

I don't think that are a problem, per se. But they are inherently an additional failure point. The number of threads where an FX owner is having to replace an o-ring is like 5:1 compared to any other brand. 

If you're someone that loves to tinker constantly, then FX is cool. I used to be like that, but I've gotten to where I just want the gun to be set and forget after the initial set up/tune.

Like I said they are not a problem unless you make it one for the most part. I expect FX outsells most others by that 5:1 margin you speak of as well so that is a mute point.

Like you said they will eventually need replaced but not after three years anyway. I would expect them to last at least eight or ten years for most of us. I have several guns with fifteen and twenty year old o-rings in them that have not failed as yet. O-rings are far more durable than people seem to think they are.

Both the Priest and Prophet use 7 O-rings vs dozens in an Impact. More O-rings = more possibilities for failure points. An O-ring may never leak but you could end up chasing your tail locating the leak. I previously owned a Streamline, Dreamline and 3 Impacts. ALL of them have leaked air not to mention a horror story with the Dream Pup. If you ever have experienced a warranty claim with FX (USA), good luck with that. 

Now I own 2 (.22) Prophets and have had zero problems with leaks. They are built more robustly than Impacts and you don't have to worry about changing POI if you bump the barrel on a Prophet.

My Prophet LR was a little more hold sensitive than my Compact, shooting from the bench but that is the only negative I can point out. However, after I lowered the velocity and harmonized the tune it became far less hold sensitive.

The Prophet came set up with LH cocking lever which was a drastic change from what I had been accustomed too. However, after using it for a very short while I actually prefer it now being a RH shooter. LH cocking is especially handy when shooting offhand in the field without breaking my cheek weld or trigger hand grip.

If you have ever changed a breach O-ring inside the barrel of any air rifle, you will gladly appreciate the O-ring used on the exterior of the RTI's pellet probe. Its such a simple but welcomed change.

Use the search function and see how many Prophets come up on the used market vs anything FX. That alone speaks silent volumes.

The regulator can be adjusted up or down easily on a RTI, using an Allen key, with pressure in the entire system.

You can only adjust an FX regulator by increasing pressure without damage to the regulator. If you try to lower the regulator pressure, without first bleeding air from the system, you will damage the reg.