The proper way to buy sell on the classifieds

Guys , 

This is a long one but bear with me to the end . I’m new and going to make mistakes , I’m not familiar with most of the workings of this forem , but I can tell you , I did read the rules to follow when buying or selling in the classifieds . Man what a brutal place . I have never felt so disrespected . I applied all the rules we all should be applying when it comes to buying and selling and guess what? 5 out of 5 times I have been rejected when I asked them to text or call , send me a text with the agreement spelled out and payment method and send me a picture or the product your selling and let’s swap pictures of our DL . All 5 , the deals were going great until I applied these principles , then it all went down hill ! One , just ignored me , one said he wasn’t going to sell it , and may keep it , then took the add down remedially , one guy said he wasn’t comfortable switching pictures of DL and lastly one guy lectured me about the rules do not apply to him because he has been on here for 5 years , this guy belittled me , called me names and was just plane a little b!/@h . I made it clear on the feedback section . Its not the way you treat new people to this site , plain and simple , especially since I’m the buyer and must protect my cash against the possibility his product isn’t as advertised . His PP will have my money , all of it , before he sends , if it’s not what I expected I need protections . 
so my question is if you guys are still with me , what are the rules for if many long time members do not feel the necessity to follow them, and why isn’t these people feel the need to assist new people and not condemn ? I really want to use all of the forums , especially the classifieds since I’m just beginning but now feel like it’s not for me ! 

Reactions: beerthief
@extex92 I can understand your frustration if you’ve been treated this way. This is an open forum and you will encounter all sorts of personality types. As for the rules for buying and selling, some of the “rules” you mention a mere suggestions. The actual “Classifieds” rules are here https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/classified-rules/?view=all

Some of what you mention are meant to help members from being scammed. Scam attempts are pretty common especially for newer members. It’s actually good that you read those suggestions. I’ve had a couple of transactions where members weren’t comfortable sending their driver’s license. One actual did it but covered some personal info which is entirely understandable. The best advice I can think to give you is this:

1) check the “Known Scammers List” to be sure the person you are attempting to deal with doesn’t have a screen name, government name, OR an email address listed there.

2) It’s also very helpful to run a search on a member’s screen name and check what other members have said about dealing with the member you wish to conduct a transaction with. I find it helpful to read feedback left by reputable AGN members. How do you know if someone is a reputable member? If they have a lot of consistent feedback is one of the easiest ways to tell, meaning the greater majority of people they dealt with are saying similar good things. The truth is in the details. Also when you go to a member’s profile page click the “accuracy” tab and read what is listed there in regards to said member’s buying/selling reputation. Couple that information with what you read in the “Member Feedback” forum. When I was new I would reach out to older members via PM and inquire about members I was thinking of buying from. Sometimes I’d contact people who were friendly towards me and who also had left “Member Feedback.”

3) Keep in mind that some “deals” may be too good to be true and you may need to pass them up.

4) PayPal (PP) is pretty common to use as payment here. If you deem someone trustworthy then PP Friends & Family (F&F) is a decent option, but you are afforded no buyer protection in the event something goes sour. Paying via regular PayPal can incur additional fees and you may be asked to pay and extra 3.5% to cover said fees. It’s an option if you feel uneasy about PPF&F. It should afford your more protection. How much? I can’t say. Never used it. 

As for rejection, terse responses, and rudeness - some people are just like that. Many of us have our quirks. Others may really need money which is what prompted them to sell. They may also be having a bad day or may not be used to dealing with a detailed and thorough individual and wish for things to go with little resistance. Keep in mind that you can compromise with things like texting, exchanging driver’s license photos, making concessions in negotiating terms, etc. A transaction boils down to what two member can agree upon. I know this is a lot. I truly hope some of it helps. I’m also sure there are things others do that I didn’t list. However, these things have worked for me. Moving forward, if you don’t understand something send me a PM. I don’t have all of the answers, but if I can help, I will.

Reactions: SHOMER
Wow, what a great response and boy to spend the time it took to do that is highly appreciated . The thing is I was going to relax some of those suggested rules but he just kept piling on , I was introduced to this site by a friend who is a Federal agent . He is the one I get advice from and I actually send him screen shots of the items for sale and how I should proceed , he also suggested the Dl switch and the photo in text to make sure they say who they are ? Lastly he also stated that profiles can be hacked and the person you think your dealing with is not aware of anything . So again kinda dangerous territory to hobble through but I’ll work through it and people like you will be the reason I’m more disseminate down the road !!!! Thanks again !!! 

Thanks do much for your opinion , I’m just following the suggested guidelines that is listed on first page of classifieds , this is what they suggest , I guess we could cover number and address , I don’t know dude , I’m new !! Lol but yes Ezana4CE is awesome ! That was a long time consuming post he gave to a perfect stranger !!! Thanks for your time as well and your opinion !!!! 

The only thing iv have trouble with is the airgun gods and the the spell posse .Sometime's you want help with something and they get so tied up in the spelling and how you pronounce it they forget what you actually want"If your trying to sale something put your email address in the add.Good luck Willy.hay the guy that runs this fourm is way helpful.I made some mistake and he emailed and helped me fix it"thanks Mike"

Personally, I think this is the best airgun website to buy from. Actually, this is the only airgun website that I would buy anything used from. It has the best system to gain credibility with; Accuracy, Members Feedback, Number of post, and Topics started by the user. No other website does that, and it really helps to get and idea of the seller and also the buyer. 

Reactions: SHOMER
Thanks for the response !!! 
and i agree , I was so excited to join that my over exuberance might of scared a few people off along with me saying I have a new friend who is a fed. He introduced me to this site and I met him along with others when I bought my used Impact MKll about two weeks ago . They helped set up, shoot a and I was hooked like this was crack. Now I am waiting on three guns , one for my 12 year old , a FX maverick , 19 year old a Benjamin Gunnar and I had to splurge on a little something for my self a AEA HP Carbine TD (Semi-Auto) w/ DonnyFL Moderator. I tried to buy a Leshiy 2 from 3 different people but as soon as I started to verify who they are they all flaked out ! I mean you really think I’m going to shell out $2400 just on your word ??? Please ! But anyway now I need a good compressor . I got a bottle and have to buy two more scopes !! Like I said , this is crack !!!! Lol

Something that helps me when making a purchase on the classifieds is to see how long somebody has been a member here and then see how active they have been. If someone has been a member for at least a few years and has a significant amount of interaction with other members then it makes me more trusting of that person. It’s not a guarantee but it makes me feel better.

On another topic; I saw you mention getting a compressor. Make sure you do a lot of research into compressors. It seems to me that unless you spend the big dollars($3000 plus) the technology in small personal compressors isn’t yet perfected. It looks to me that they all fail in too short of time. My main SCBA tank is approaching its15 year life span and I’d love to get a compressor but with the current problems I see on the lower priced units I’m leaning toward just buying another tank instead.

Kenny

As jasmlowe said, pay attention to a seller's stats. If a person has little to no history or feedback, keep looking. In my two years as a member I have had dozens of transactions as a buyer. Sometimes I have had phone conversations with buyers and all have been happy to answer questions. My experience on AGN as a buyer has been outstanding. Great group of folks. 

Thanks everyone !!! I’m not , I’ve been under a lot of pain and stress and trying to get my done a scope before this weekend for his graduation , his is 12 going into 7th grade ! Lol but he is one heck of a shot and loves the shooting sports and has more heads on the wall than I do !!! He been shooting since 5 so can’t wait to get the Athelon Midas in the mail soon to put on his new maverick !