• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The problem in NJ is not just the Gun Laws

I'm a long time powder shooter, but I wanted to get into air guns. I love NRA Silhouette, especially knocking down those chickens/pigs/turkeys/rams. So I look up an internet site to talk to some friendly folks like Airgun Nation. I get a whole lot of information about choices of what to buy.

Now to find a gun store. I do the same thing and go to the net to search likely candidates mear or far. Do not think that because NJ has rotten firearm laws that our gun stores are not doing any business. Far from it, walk into your average NJ gun store during the week (the weekends are really busy) and take your place near a counter. I would not dream of calling up a store by phone to ask what they carry. Herein lies the problem, all retail places today have that little box to contact us or fill out and leave a message. Just don't expect an answer any time soon. I looked up 10 places to ask if they carry air guns. Sent out a short message to all and got one response telling me we have some air guns on the rack. No types, no models or anything else.

NJ isn'tthe size of Wyoming or even Pennsylvania but to drive to NJ gun stores just to find out what they sell would cost you a lot of gas & time. Don't forget we can't get abything sent to our address without going thru an FFL first. If some store does shoot me an e-mail or PM, I'll let you know.

• Sad
Reactions: SHOMER
around here theres no chance of getting a qaulity airgun from any of the shops, so i tired of looking and just called Airguns of Arizona and they made life easy.
i have bought two guns from them.
guns shops in my neck of the woods think of airguns as toys and when the do have something their thoughts are reflected.
at some point its not worth the hassles.

I have realized that a lot of pcp/air fill shooters keep talking about their superiority over break barrels air rifles, but I don't really want to mess with all that for my first air rifle. Strongly leaning towards an HW 50S.

Just when I am ready to pull the proverbial trigger, now I hear about all this barrel droop with the 50S. What the hell is that? Next question what cleaning or preparation should I do to my new air rifle before I shoot?

Last edited:
Barrel droop is when the barrel isn't properly lined up with the receiver tube, but rather angled downward almost imperceptibly, until you mount a scope to it. On some scopes that don't have a lot of elevation adjustment this could cause you to run out of adjustment before it was sighted in. It's exacerbated on airguns because we usually have a very close near zero range.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure whatever scope you buy has enough elevation adjustment.

Good choice with the HWs. You can't go wrong with them.

I have realized that a lot of pcp/air fill shooters keep talking about their superiority over break barrels air rifles, but I don't really want to mess with all that for my first air rifle. Strongly leaning towards an HW 50S.

Just when I am ready to pull the proverbial trigger, now I hear about all this barrel droop with the 50S. What the hell is that? Next question what cleaning or preparation should I do to my new air rifle before I shoot?
For what it's worth, I own 2 HW50's, both are 2022 production guns bought from PA. No barrel droop, no problems at all with either rifle. The .22 has a Bug Buster up top and the .177 has a diopter setup. Both are trim, light, easy shooting guns that aren't ammo picky. Granted, two guns don't represent the overall production quality, but I have no complaints with mine.

Reactions: maxtrouble