The Pied Piper of Airguns east of San Diego...

I thought maybe some of you would be interested in my airgun journey with regards to being an "arms dealer" near San Diego, and getting many others interested in the sport. Let me tell you what I do in San Diego, and have done for the past 1-1/2 years (I've only been shooting airguns for 3 years, and competing for 1 year). It didn't start this way, as I had one, then two, then many permissions at Horse Ranches in the Descanso area east of San Diego.

Well, one day early last Summer, one of the Ranchers approached me and asked about my air rifle (.22 Cricket mini), and I told him all about modern high powered air rifles and let him shoot it. So after a bit, he asked if I saw one that I thought he might like, could I get one for him, soup to nuts. Gun, scope, mounts, level, bipod, case, air tank, fill assembly, air tank case, pellets, etc. So I found a very good deal on a used .22 FX Wildcat on AGN, bought it, changed out all the orings, cleaned it up, found a nice used scope, sighted it in, and everything else I mentioned above. Delivered it to him, shot for about an hour, satisfied customer, and he paid me. I didn't add much to my overall cost, maybe 15% or so (to cover my time and labor). This is Michael G, whose place I've been shooting at almost every weekend for about two years, and who I now consider a good friend. I actually shot for about the first year at an adjacent ranch belonging to Dru A (and still hunt there frequently).

So then it kinda snowballed, word got out in the area (there are no high end airgun retailers in or near San Diego), and from the beginning of last Summer until now I've done the same for .22 Daystate Renegades (3), .22 FX Streamline (2), .22 FX Wildcat (2), .22 FX Bobcat, .30 Vulcan2, .25 Cricket bull-pup (2), .22 Cricket bull-pup, .22 Daystate Regal XL, and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two. All of these included scopes, rings, bipods, bubble levels, SCBA tanks, fill rigs, cases for gun and tank, etc. I also re-sealed every gun, and tuned for best performance, sighted in, developed dope sheet, and shot for about an hour with each buyer so that he knew exactly how to shoot the gun, where to aim for various ranges, load the magazine, fill the gun with air, limits, etc.

So I shoot in the same location every weekend, and now some of the guys come over when they know I'm going to be there, some with questions, some just want to shoot (and beat me, but that hasn't happened - yet), some want me to check their gun over and check their zero, etc. The second guy I sold a gun to (my used .22 Daystate Renegade), Danny G., has become a good friend (and a very good shot) and calls me the Pied Piper of Descanso Airguns. Its through him that I've sold about 6 of my airguns. 

Kind of a cool story, there are now at least 12 shooters that had never heard of PCP airguns 1-1/2 years ago. And I have many places to shoot and hunt, guys to shoot with, and talk turkey. The only bad thing is that its taken over my golf game, I haven't played in over six months, and I used to be fairly serious about golf... ;(

Good on ya Mike. I too have a permission that wanted a PCP, didn't have much to spend at the time, so bought a Marauder. Good gun and it worked for him for about a year. He broke something on it and now wants a higher end PCP as his job got better than a year ago (he can afford a higher end now). Talking to him about maybe an FX Strealine as it's not too blingy and easy to use. He's contemplating.

One of my other permissions could care less, although they have looked at my PCP's with great interest and witnessed some long distance kills, they are simply too busy to participate.

Like you however, I spout off about how great PCP are to my coworkers and they are riveted, but no one wants to pay that much for a "BB gun". HA!

By the way, there is an air gun shop in El Cajon, La Mesa Collectables (Their spelling) that has many pellets and some air rifles, mostly Benjamins, Gauntlets and the like. Rick is the manager there if you stop in.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Darell, good luck with that .25 EDgun R5M Long, those Nutria don't stand a chance... ;)

Just wish I had pay pal it would be on the way to my house instead of the check going the other way LOL . Mike you let the cat out of the bag , glad the wife doesn't read this forum heehee . Have to figure out what day to send her shopping !! Darell

I can attest to the Cult of the Skull that Mike has built. He walks the walk and everyone has fun. Many Saturdays he has an extra gun and tank that is loaded in the trunk for a new convert. They love ya Mike but I remember beating you once at 25 meter. Boy did I love that. Maybe when I get another FX you'll be in for it, in the meantime we'll just enjoy the airgun ride and all the great people we meet along the way. We can't enjoy the squirrels cause you kilt'em all!

Reactions: Centercut
Thanks Nick. Thanks L.Leon.

FYI, by “cult of the skull”, he means the Punisher Skull that I put on all my guns and the ones I sell, like the below .25 Veteran Shorty. It’s just above and to the left of the trigger. Also, to show my Ranchers are really into shooting, this is the sign that Michael G made for his Gator and posted it on the back. The area where I shoot is known to the residents as Happy Valley. Interestingly enough, Danny G's first shot with my .22 Daystate Renegade last Summer was a ground squirrel at 111 yards, head shot! And the last gun I sold in August, another .22 Daystate Renegade to Danny's friend John resulted in his first two shots schwacking two grounds squirrels at 88 yards. Both were thrilled!

1569976522_9170367835d93f0ca6edda6.13137379_572F03E1-D49D-40AA-8B46-5E77B612CF92.jpeg

1569976596_13094950755d93f114465f03.25056699_A253569E-5010-48B4-B3FB-12006F32DB80.jpeg

PS. Yes Nick, I actually remember you beating me more than once at 25M with your .22 FX Streamline... :)

That other sport that you mentioned, does it have something to do with a club and a small ball?
1f609.svg

I look forward to meeting you at EBR next week!

--Carl

Yes, I’m ashamed to admit, before airguns there was golf... I even had my handicap down to a 3 at one time. Now I’m lucky to break 80. :(

Good on ya Mike. I too have a permission that wanted a PCP, didn't have much to spend at the time, so bought a Marauder. Good gun and it worked for him for about a year. He broke something on it and now wants a higher end PCP as his job got better than a year ago (he can afford a higher end now). Talking to him about maybe an FX Strealine as it's not too blingy and easy to use. He's contemplating.

One of my other permissions could care less, although they have looked at my PCP's with great interest and witnessed some long distance kills, they are simply too busy to participate.

Like you however, I spout off about how great PCP are to my coworkers and they are riveted, but no one wants to pay that much for a "BB gun". HA!

By the way, there is an air gun shop in El Cajon, La Mesa Collectables (Their spelling) that has many pellets and some air rifles, mostly Benjamins, Gauntlets and the like. Rick is the manager there if you stop in.

Keep up the good work.

I stop in there every chance I get my oldest son lives right up the road from there in santee...very well supplied air gun store.

What a great story Mike! Another one of those threads that I have been putting off, because frankly, it was a bit long and I wanted to give it dedicated time to read in full, something I don’t get a lot of, time. 

Sounds like you live in Ocupado, not Descanso. And that you have been, ocupado! 

I think I need royalties on one of those Renegades, since I helped ya find it. 0.0001% should be fair. 😂