The Pest Population

Squirrels, rats, starlings, pigeons, chipmunks, iguanas, etc.

Anyone ever wonder just how overrun the world would be if air-gunners didn't exist?

Would there be a plague? Would everything be just fine?

What do you think?

Yes they are a problem at times. I am a retired wildlife biologist and have certainly seen my share of issues, especially with the many species of invasive non-indigenous species (plants, birds, fish, reptiles,amphibians, and on and on) worldwide. Most were brought in as pets of which there is a laundry list or to help control a problem and subsequently became the problem. Won't we ever learn? Each and every year there are new invasive species causing havoc to local ecosystems. Just during my lifetime the list has grown exponentially. In addition, to just mention a few,I have seen the feral hog, coyote, armadillo, & fire ant problem proliferate in the southeast part of Alabama. Yes there are many other issues to consider but the aforementioned pests are certainly a major part of the equation and air-gunners as well as other hunters are part of the solution.

Me, I think the world is slowly being over run with these pests and many more. There are not nearly enough airgunners to even put a dent in the populations. We are not coming close to keeping up with the Starlings, English Sparrows, Pigeons, Rats and Iguanas in the US. for sure. Around my area in Oregon the invasive squirrel population is still exploding cuz so many people feed them. The indigenous species is not so slowly retreating into the less populated areas and disappearing. The rat population is increasing at an alarming rate, they are everywhere I look these days, cuz people are feeding the squirrels and birds and thus the rats. 

The Coyotes are coming into the city and eating all the cats as well. Then as stated above there are the wild pigs and armadillos in other parts of the country.

I am pretty sure we have already lost the fight and just don't understand it fully yet.

I have often wondered where they all come from - just recently thought I had made a substantial dent in a certain local population only to see another wave appear out of nowhere. 

From my experience, back in the late 70's and 80's the population of grackles and cowbirds were larger in Mid Michigan; now it is more starlings, sparrows and rarely a cowbird. Crows were very heavy mid-late 90's, scarce for nearly 20 years,now coming back.

Chipmunks seem to replenish out of thin air. It is surprising how many will come into your crosshairs once you start paying proper attention to their movements.

I’ve been contemplating this also lately as squirrel hunting in ne pa where I live is not as remember it 20 or 30 years ago I don’t know if there are more people hunting them or if they are moving more south as it seems se pa is better than the ne now. Perhaps recent weather change has them moving and this is why other states see changes in natural species?

When I moved into the neighborhood 11 years ago, my neighbor said he spent $12,500 on squirrel mitigation from 2 families of the tree rats that had taken up residence in his attic.

They s__t all over the place and chewed up the rafters and electrical.

so some of the other dads and I formed “Squirrel Team 6”.

even had shirts made:
A50E91C8-DA4A-41C5-BE82-669C5A771F24.1640128472.jpeg

Hell, my one neighbor is up to 58 squirrels BY HIMSELF THIS YEAR.

Hasn’t made as much of a dent as I would have thought.

But the local hawks and foxes love us, lol.

I know that all I am really doing with my backyard pesting is creating a temporary vacuum that is relatively quickly refilled.

However, I no longer have chipmunks in my crawl space or burrows in my yard. No more tree rats have attempted to invade my attic and my yard has a LOT fewer divots in it.

And, I have a lot of fun working hard to make good clean humane kills.