• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The only constant is change

Ok so I’m an Airgun nut. Have been around high performance airguns most of my life. Was once an active poster on the “old yellar”forum. Had an extensive Airgun collection that amounted to over 350 airguns at its peak. I did not discriminate. Liked all forms, springers, SSP, MSP, PCP, CO2. If it lobbed a projectile, it captured my fascination. Then things changed. Wife and I started a family. Went through a long extensive/ expensive legal battle with a former business partner. The Airgun addiction didn’t make reasonable sense. I sold 95% of my collection. Wanted to focus on my girls growing up with committed father through their formative years. They are now 17 and 19 and coming into their own independence.

This breaks my heart but the only constant is change.

The $ I had tied up in airguns was used to pay the lawyers for my legal battle. I am now all through that and coming back to airguns. All that was approximately 10 years ago. Holy crap how time flies. 

It is amazing to me how much the Airgun industry has changed. PCP’s seem to dominate the market. The variety and brands are overwhelming. I have always had a soft spot for springers, the elegant self reliant springer is the epitome of airgunning, in my opinion. That said, I have been bitten pretty hard by the ease of use ( I’m now 54) in PCP’s. I just bought an AA 200 and looking at another one already. I have also just bought a Yong heng compressor. wow that’s some overwhelming research. Not sure I made the right choice but for the price, feel it was a low risk. Long term users have an opinion?

Of course the forums have changed dramatically as well. Old yellar was a high traffic place with a great vibe. There was some cohesiveness, yet a Wild West attitude. It seems most of the forums are highly compartmentalizations now. Somehow that takes away from the cohesiveness but I totally get it. 

The only constant is change. Anyway, thought I’ld throw my hat back in the ring a bit. Love airguns, still have about 10 left from the old days. I have my eye on about a dozen more. Gonna explore the whole PCP craze for a bit.

Just bought the AA 200

Looking at 2 others (AA200) in slightly different configurations

Picking up a santa Rosa Beeman Kodiak .25 on Friday.

Bought a QB 78 from pyramid air

Bought a beautiful Crosman 160 complete with OEM peep from gun broker

Looking at marauder as well as Diana outlaw, and maybe some sort of Kral bull pup. 

Would really like to find some shooting buddies in the Pacific Northwet (not a typo)

Anybody know of any Portland or SW Washington Airgun clubs?

Any of my old Airgun cyber buddies still around?

ssssSnake

I remember you from the old Crosman forum. It's been a long time since my girls were 17 and 19 but those were definitely some good years. Yup the only constant is change well said and my belief as well. Many of the forums have changed dramatically or are just gone. Yup lots of new rebranded Chinese PCP's around and a few others as well. Looks like you are not wasting any time getting back into it by looking at your recent purchases. I live in the Portland area but have not thought to search out groups or clubs. I just go to the Douglas Ridge Rifle Range out towards Estacada to shoot my airguns at 50-200yards.

Nice to hear you are ssstill around. Pretty sure I still have a few parts from you 10 years back. 

Miss the old AGL day's & early yellow day's when pretty much everyone gave a "3 day inspection" on used sales & no one ever abused it,"I'll take it" pretty well meant you could just go ahead and ship as payment would arrive, Postal Money Order's were King and your airgun was Queen..... .

Change does seem to happen, I did the cancer thing, moved across America and got married 1st time at over 50yrs. Also sold everything airgun ( well I might have sat 1-2 in the house).

"Regulated airguns for $300 please" was NOT a category not so long ago. And while the modern "influencers" -youtube etal. heck I'd never heard the word or seen the tube, think I'm still using some solar cells from sssssnake?- might not like the Gauntlet, it is a sub-$300 QB78 on air, regulated, clip/single feed, reverse cocking , shrouded target stocked insane value. Would have cost what in '95?

Not quite your region but we're in Chewelah, WA, 99109 only have a couple of more modern airguns, and a bullet proof altros booster ( NO scuba tank, amazing I tell ya) you are most welcome to check out.

John

I remember you well from the Yellow Forum, always entertaining posts. I was more of a lurker myself. I had no idea your addiction was so serious! I mean 350 guns, where did you even put them all? Anyway, things haven't changed all that much. Springers are still pretty much the same. The big change in PCPs as far as I am concerned is the almost universal use of regulators. No more filling every 20 shots like I still have to do with my old Daystate. Welcome back!

Chuck

Nice to hear you are ssstill around. Pretty sure I still have a few parts from you 10 years back. 

Miss the old AGL day's & early yellow day's when pretty much everyone gave a "3 day inspection" on used sales & no one ever abused it,"I'll take it" pretty well meant you could just go ahead and ship as payment would arrive, Postal Money Order's were King and your airgun was Queen..... .

Change does seem to happen, I did the cancer thing, moved across America and got married 1st time at over 50yrs. Also sold everything airgun ( well I might have sat 1-2 in the house).

"Regulated airguns for $300 please" was NOT a category not so long ago. And while the modern "influencers" -youtube etal. heck I'd never heard the word or seen the tube, think I'm still using some solar cells from sssssnake?- might not like the Gauntlet, it is a sub-$300 QB78 on air, regulated, clip/single feed, reverse cocking , shrouded target stocked insane value. Would have cost what in '95?

Not quite your region but we're in Chewelah, WA, 99109 only have a couple of more modern airguns, and a bullet proof altros booster ( NO scuba tank, amazing I tell ya) you are most welcome to check out.

John

Ah yes, the old Airgun letter! Remember it well! And all those wonderful qualities you mentioned above. 3 days grace, I’ll take it, comprehensive photographs of guns. The glory days, but the older I get the better I was. ( que Bruce sssssssssSpringsteen here).

funny you should mention the cancer thang. I’m going through that right now. About 2 months ago, I went to have my tonsils out due to a chronic infection that wouldn’t respond to antibiotics. Surgery was aborted after finding a grape sized tumor in the tonsil. Turns out it spread the the left lymph as well. It also marked positive as an HPV driven cancer. Apparently HPV cancers are experiencing a mini epidemic. Typically shows up as a head or neck cancer in older men. Sssssssso that’s the bad news, the good news is that it is highly curable( 70-90%) . As opposed to traditional cancers. It is highly responsive to radiation and chemo therapy. I am about 1/2 way through my treatment right now. It is very difficult but I’m focused on the long term outcome. Haven’t been able to eat via the mouth. We installed a feeding tube prior to treatment, but I have still lost 35 lbs. my high was 215 lbs. I have 10 more radiation treatments to go for a total of 35. We opted for 3 rounds of high dose chemo. I have completed 2 rounds with the third in another week. It sounds way worse than it is. Don’t get me wrong, the treatment is brutal but 90 % of the tumors are already gone. Just need to ride it out for the next couple months and then work on getting my strength back. Because I can’t physically do much, I’ve been Ssssssssssucked back into reading the Airgun forums again! Round and round we go!

what kind of cancer did you have?

also do you still have the QB? Post some pics if so

ssssssssSnake

I remember you well from the Yellow Forum, always entertaining posts. I was more of a lurker myself. I had no idea your addiction was so serious! I mean 350 guns, where did you even put them all? Anyway, things haven't changed all that much. Springers are still pretty much the same. The big change in PCPs as far as I am concerned is the almost universal use of regulators. No more filling every 20 shots like I still have to do with my old Daystate. Welcome back!

Chuck

Yes, may actually have been closer to 400. Had them tucked into every nook and cranny of the house. It was fun but ultimately pretty silly. I had chased down quite a few exotics from all over the globe. The chase was half the fun and trying to figure out the logistics was even more fun!

in actuality, I had bought and sold probably twice that many.