The older I get, the less I like....

MACTEN

Nov 18, 2020
IA
Shooting in crappy weather. This has been one of the coldest (or perceived coldest) fall, winter, springs I can remember. When I was younger I used to head on out when the temp was above -20 with PB's and above 0 with Airguns. I've lived in warmer climates than Iowa but was too busy to go to private ranges and shoot. Guess I shouldn't care about shooting today because it's a more important day than me shooting.

Just my little rant. Have a Happy Easter Everyone and please remember why we celebrate today.

I need good weather temperature wise, though i am a Danish native and so should be acclimated to the Nordic weather,,,,, i just dont like it at all, and seriously entertain the idea than maybe i am adopted, from a place further south, cuz i do well with heat.

The wind however are also a issue at least to how my stuff fly as i only shoot .177, the "bench" i shoot from are sheltered nice so i only feel wind if it is from a motherly direction.

In my younger days the cold was never an issue, but at 72...cold damp weather kicks my arthritus into high gear !! Snowvisnt bad but cold rain is miserable....the doctors just say " hmmm is that so". This time of year does seem colder, but I velieve it is from all the cold rain going right thru to your bones.

And yes, there is a serious reason for this season, so lets not forget what is really important!!

Cold and titanium in back doesn’t work well with me. When it gets cold, it doesn’t matter if I’ve got a coat on. I get in a violent shake from the shivers. Almost like an epileptic siezure shake. 
if I maintain movement it’s not bad, but if I get a moment of standing idle like standing outside in line at a movie theater, then I’m a shakin’

I love the cold but I don't care to sit at a bench & shoot when it's below 30°. 

But to go for a hike & stop & shoot off hand for a while is no problem. I'll do that when it's as cold as 10° as long as it's not windy. 

I drove to Forest Service road last week & noted that the temp on my dash kept dropping. By the time I parked it was 12°. Wind was brutal. 

My Leshiy stayed in the backpack for that hike. I wouldn't even have gotten out of the car if the dog wasn't wound up. I do not care for the wind & it has been horrible recently. 

At an Easter dinner a relative told me the jet stream has shifted over the midwest. He went on to say it's the reason for 140mph wind storms that devastate the state, and more constant high winds here. Not sure about SD or Chicago but it's a colder windier change here. But then again in the 70's we seemed to have more tornado's .. Either way.. Makes it tough to enjoy shooting for sure. Here in Iowa today it feels more like St Patrick's day than Easter. I have been holding out hope for some global warming but haven't really seen evidence of it. Weather always changes but this seems more like going into an ice age like the "scientists" said we were heading into in the late 70's. I'm trying to talk a friend into digging a 100 yard trench on his back 40 to deal with the wind but it would just become a short creek without some real drainage measures.

Cold and titanium in back doesn’t work well with me. When it gets cold, it doesn’t matter if I’ve got a coat on. I get in a violent shake from the shivers. Almost like an epileptic siezure shake. 
if I maintain movement it’s not bad, but if I get a moment of standing idle like standing outside in line at a movie theater, then I’m a shakin’

My Dad had the same issue with the titanium.

Like "beerthief" I grew up in Chicago. Zero & above during the winter was a heat wave. Laughed at the California woosies when I moved here who wore winter coats when it was in the 50's. Just turned 70 & time to admit I've become one of the woosies. I live for warm summer mornings with a ground squirrel, target rich environment. It's only been the last 3 or so years that my fondness for crisp, cool weather seems to have faded. Cold environments are for "youngsters", not an "old geezer" like me. Been thinking about pre-heating my rifles on the chill mornings that I actually do get out! What a woos!!!

Like "beerthief" I grew up in Chicago. Zero & above during the winter was a heat wave. Laughed at the California woosies when I moved here who wore winter coats when it was in the 50's. Just turned 70 & time to admit I've become one of the woosies. I live for warm summer mornings with a ground squirrel, target rich environment. It's only been the last 3 or so years that my fondness for crisp, cool weather seems to have faded. Cold environments are for "youngsters", not an "old geezer" like me. Been thinking about pre-heating my rifles on the chill mornings that I actually do get out! What a woos!!!

I thought the same when I was in NC.. 50's and winter coats. Funny thing is I never got acclimated to the NC weather and wore t-shirts in the 50's.. Jazz set? Brother had a Ludwig from the 60's and played like Krupa.. I chose guitar and singing but still love the drums.. 

I have to respectfully disagree.

A day in the field, whether dry, wet, cold or hot is better than anything at my age.

Those days are quickly coming to a end, for various reasons-political and physical.

We should cherish all we have left..

32EDF381-3640-4285-BD8E-EB0F9D61869C.1650237256.jpeg