• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The older I get, the less I like....

I kind of dragged the thread off topic, sorry. Recent bout of what must have been COVID in March had me down hard for about two weeks and pretty weak for about six, maybe eight, weeks. I was finally pulling out of it and my little brother passed. It's been a long winter and I'm looking forward to some warm weather and plinking while woods walking. The older I get the less I like politics, politicians, lawyers and those who would tell another man how to live.

OldCrow

No sir, I wasn't trying to be clever or cute. I believe you will find this post of Bob's over at AGG informative. It is dated but sometimes the old stuff ages well.. I guess I should add here that my perspective is often influenced by a comparison between the PB world and the AG world. Clearly the drift comparison between those two worlds is all about TOF. No hidden agenda. No animus.

https://airgunguild.com/index.php?topic=1172.msg12846#msg12846

Ahhhh, so you meant this? Where he says faster results in more drift above a certain point...? Even though the pellet spends less time in the wind?

{As you extend the range, the optimum muzzle velocity increases.... as you want the pellet to spend as much time in "low drag" mode as possible.... However, at 200 yards with a pellet the optimum is still only about 950 fps (see the BC = 0.05 on the first chart).... It depends on the pellet, of course, but the minimum drift at 100 yards would probably occur with a good pellet, like a JSB Exact, at around 900 fps.... One thing to remember is that the curve is pretty flat across the bottom, so going 50 fps higher than the absolute bottom won't change the drift much but will give you a flatter trajectory....

One thing that isn't taken into account in the GA drag model is that the drag increases faster than it predicts in the Transonic region (Mach 0.8-1.2).... Some measurements I have made indicate that at Mach 1 the GA model may underestimate the drag by 30-50%.... While this won't affect the middle of the curve, it will raise the right hand end.... ie the drift at 1100 fps will be significantly more than the graph shows.... All the more reason not to push over 1000 fps with pellets.... 

Bob}

OldCrow

No sir, I wasn't trying to be clever or cute. I believe you will find this post of Bob's over at AGG informative. It is dated but sometimes the old stuff ages well.. I guess I should add here that my perspective is often influenced by a comparison between the PB world and the AG world. Clearly the drift comparison between those two worlds is all about TOF. No hidden agenda. No animus.

https://airgunguild.com/index.php?topic=1172.msg12846#msg12846

Ahhhh, so you meant this? Where he says faster results in more drift above a certain point...? Even though the pellet spends less time in the wind?

{As you extend the range, the optimum muzzle velocity increases.... as you want the pellet to spend as much time in "low drag" mode as possible.... However, at 200 yards with a pellet the optimum is still only about 950 fps (see the BC = 0.05 on the first chart).... It depends on the pellet, of course, but the minimum drift at 100 yards would probably occur with a good pellet, like a JSB Exact, at around 900 fps.... One thing to remember is that the curve is pretty flat across the bottom, so going 50 fps higher than the absolute bottom won't change the drift much but will give you a flatter trajectory....

One thing that isn't taken into account in the GA drag model is that the drag increases faster than it predicts in the Transonic region (Mach 0.8-1.2).... Some measurements I have made indicate that at Mach 1 the GA model may underestimate the drag by 30-50%.... While this won't affect the middle of the curve, it will raise the right hand end.... ie the drift at 1100 fps will be significantly more than the graph shows.... All the more reason not to push over 1000 fps with pellets.... 

Bob}

No I meant what I said. It is about time of flight. I suppose I could have written a post like Bob's for you. However, It was intended as a light hearted agreement to your post regarding people who talk a better game than they shoot. That's all that was intended. Nothing serious or argumentative. It wasn't intended to be a technical discussion which addressed all the nuances of drag models and BCs and velocities. That's all it was. That's it. Clearly you read more into the post than was intended. It was just a friendly agreement with your sentiments.

Now you have a nice day. I'll give you a wider berth next time "Cap'n". If you feel a need to further the discussion, why not take it out of this man's thread?

Oh, one other thing, that other poster in the thread, that's me. I knew exactly what we were talking about.

No I meant what I said. It is about time of flight. I suppose I could have written a post like Bob's for you. However, It was intended as a light hearted agreement to your post regarding people who talk a better game than they shoot. That's all that was intended. Nothing serious or argumentative. It wasn't intended to be a technical discussion which addressed all the nuances of drag models and BCs and velocities. That's all it was. That's it. Clearly you read more into the post than was intended. It was just a friendly agreement with your sentiments.

Now you have a nice day. I'll give you a wider berth next time "Cap'n". If you feel a need to further the discussion, why not take it out of this man's thread?

Oh, one other thing, that other poster in the thread, that's me. I knew exactly what we were talking about.

Gotcha, it just struck me as odd that you added your "time of flight" theory in addition to agreeing about keyboard guns. Then you referenced Bob's post where he doesn't agree with your theory. So it was confusing. That's all. No harm, no foul. And just as more than once before, we can agree to disagree...

No I meant what I said. It is about time of flight.  I suppose I could have written a post like Bob's for you. However, It was intended as a light hearted agreement to your post regarding people who talk a better game than they shoot. That's all that was intended. Nothing serious or argumentative. It wasn't intended to be a technical discussion which addressed all the nuances of drag models and BCs and velocities. That's all it was. That's it. Clearly you read more into the post than was intended. It was just a friendly agreement with your sentiments.

Oh, one other thing, that other poster in the thread, that's me. I knew exactly what Bob and I were talking about.

Gotcha, it just struck me as odd that you added your "time of flight" theory in addition to agreeing about keyboard guns. Then you referenced Bob's post where he doesn't agree with your theory. So it was confusing. That's all. No harm, no foul. And just as more than once before, we can agree to disag

To quote a friend of yours, "I never agree to disagree, it just seems silly to me." Actually he doesn't impress me much and neither does that saying, sure let's agree to disagree? What were we disagreeing about?

The rest of what I have to say is bolded since you missed it the first time.

Now then since we have arrived at this place yet again, if you feel the need to respond, do it in a PM and not this man's thread.

Wind Drift Equations

In my younger days the cold was never an issue, but at 72...cold damp weather kicks my arthritus into high gear !! Snowvisnt bad but cold rain is miserable....the doctors just say " hmmm is that so". This time of year does seem colder, but I velieve it is from all the cold rain going right thru to your bones.

And yes, there is a serious reason for this season, so lets not forget what is really important!!

Amen to that !!

To quote a friend of yours, "I never agree to disagree, it just seems silly to me." Actually he doesn't impress me much and neither does that saying, sure let's agree to disagree? What were we disagreeing about?

The rest of what I have to say is bolded since you missed it the first time.

Now then since we have arrived at this place yet again, if you feel the need to respond, do it in a PM and not this man's thread.

Wind Drift Equations

No problem Sarge, we're good...

At an Easter dinner a relative told me the jet stream has shifted over the midwest. He went on to say it's the reason for 140mph wind storms that devastate the state, and more constant high winds here. Not sure about SD or Chicago but it's a colder windier change here. But then again in the 70's we seemed to have more tornado's .. Either way.. Makes it tough to enjoy shooting for sure. Here in Iowa today it feels more like St Patrick's day than Easter. I have been holding out hope for some global warming but haven't really seen evidence of it. Weather always changes but this seems more like going into an ice age like the "scientists" said we were heading into in the late 70's. I'm trying to talk a friend into digging a 100 yard trench on his back 40 to deal with the wind but it would just become a short creek without some real drainage measures.

Iowa checking in here too. These winds have been insane this spring. Just when I clear the tree branches from my yard, another storm comes and deposits more for me to pick up.

At an Easter dinner a relative told me the jet stream has shifted over the midwest. He went on to say it's the reason for 140mph wind storms that devastate the state, and more constant high winds here. Not sure about SD or Chicago but it's a colder windier change here. But then again in the 70's we seemed to have more tornado's .. Either way.. Makes it tough to enjoy shooting for sure. Here in Iowa today it feels more like St Patrick's day than Easter. I have been holding out hope for some global warming but haven't really seen evidence of it. Weather always changes but this seems more like going into an ice age like the "scientists" said we were heading into in the late 70's. I'm trying to talk a friend into digging a 100 yard trench on his back 40 to deal with the wind but it would just become a short creek without some real drainage measures.

Iowa checking in here too. These winds have been insane this spring. Just when I clear the tree branches from my yard, another storm comes and deposits more for me to pick up.

The wind reminds me of March... Since the beginning of the year. Iowa seems to have about 3-4 good months anymore.. Same as Alaska. lol

The wind reminds me of March... Since the beginning of the year. Iowa seems to have about 3-4 good months anymore.. Same as Alaska. lol

70’s this weekend finally! It will be nice to not freeze my ass off at my son’s soccer games anymore. Of course, it’ll probably just rain and ruin my fun anyway… just like it would in Alaska. lol