American Air Arms The new Evol HPS. How lucky am I to get to test such a thing?

I'm probably biased since I watched AmericanAirArms develop and even before that Tom converting a .22 Rainstorm to .30 cal before Evanix came out with that caliber.

Also the Rainstorm is my favorite platform and the AmericanAirArms are influenced by the monoblock action of the Rainstorm that Tom got to know so well,......obviously every aspect is way better on the build but I always see Tom's guns as a High end, technically advanced Rainstorm.

Great write up! I'll be waiting for that 223... Can't thank you enough for the 22 HPS I got from you. Even though it's locked into shooting only the 25gr it's moved to the top of my favorite rifle!
Ed that's great to here. It really does shoot those 25gr like it's a Lazer.

The 223 hps will bull barrel is what I have my eyes on as well 😀

I plan on taking this out saturday to do some more testing, I did receive a shipment of new Zan br100 pellets , but they seem to be the old batch still. Was not happy about that at all. I will try washing one package of them in my ultrasonic cleaner and relubing them with ballistol to see if that will help. If not I will melt them down to cast slugs for my slayer.

I also plan to test the JTS 45gr , my work hours are long right now, going in when its dark and leaving work when its dark , only reason I can't provide any updates during the week.

The quick adjustability on the new model has me feeling that the process is a lot less tedious which is certainly nice.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Took the HPS out today.

20231202_135615.jpg
20231202_135621.jpg

I left my Allen wrenches so couldn't play with the reg to test the br100 pellets I washed and relubed. I will say I was able to get them up to 850 fps , with a lot of hammer... and they showed promise after being washed.

Anyways, it was 45* today and I let the rifle acclimate to ambient temp so it shot a little hotter than last weekend.

Screenshot_20231202_130714_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20231202_130726_FX Radar.jpg

Well thank goodness for the quick adjustability, simply brought the dwell down and boom back to spot on. Both of these were from a 3900 fill , this new hps is 4500 psi fill.

Screenshot_20231202_131447_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20231202_131454_FX Radar.jpg

The groups I shot were very similar to last time , but this is just an update and I'm very pleased, as you can see Tom has put great reference points so you can return to a previous tune.

20231202_085430.jpg
20231202_085451.jpg

Now that the ultrasonically cleaned and lubed zans show promise my next test is going to be power, what is the max power I can achieve and keep the rifle accurate.

I'm really starting to hate you!
:ROFLMAO:

I did threaten to steal Tom's Slayer years ago in Kentucky!
I'd have been outta prison by now!

I do believe with the washed zans I can print sub moa at 100 at over 100 fpe. The rifle really is astounding and to be honest those chronograph strings I posted today, obviously are going to have a little more deviation than normal considering I took them A) right from first shot of day B) right from first shot after a tune adjustment.
Your shroud and LDC has goose bumps on them.

What, no target pics? Then it didn’t happen ;)

I wanted to go shoot my PRod and I have a bday to prepare for for tomorrow so I said hell with it hahaha

Well , I took the hps out again for its last time in my hands.

I have some final thoughts on it but a short version is I am really, really happy to see this as the next variation of the Evol.

I got back out today with Zans and again they disappointed, I do not blame the rifle, or my shooting, ( I shot .5 moa at 100 with the Slayer after this lol see my next slayer post ). I think there's truly a QC issue. 4 or 5 would group "decent" then rest shotgun blast. At 905-910 fps.

The rifle shoots half moa full magazines with 44.75 if I do my part which proves it can shoot at the top of the best!

Each and every modification to Tom made to the evol while turning it into the HPS is brilliant. The ease of adjustability , smooth consistency of the new valve, the new hammer cocking system. All , AWESOME. As expected none of the upgrades feel cheap or feel like they compromise the ruggedness the American Air Arms lineup is known for.

And with that said I'm sending it back to Tom, I feel extremely lucky to have tested and used this rifle. I wish I could keep it lol

20231209_142927.jpg
20231209_142837.jpg
20231209_175418.jpg
20231209_124215.jpg
20231209_124218.jpg

Reactions: PumaCarl
Nice write up Kevin, I will be following yours, and everyone else's, report on the BR100's too. I really hope they eventually get those right. I'm actually kind of surprised nobody else has come out with a heavy target .30 pellet yet. It looks like Tom has another homerun with that HPS!
When the new barrels and barrel kits come out the hps is going to really wow the airgun industry , that im confident in.