• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The new american revolution- Huggett vs DonnyFL

No hostilities intended of course. Just wanted to comment on DonnyFL moderators vs the benchmark Huggett mods. this is no slant against weirach, reflex, or fx stackable mods, is just that i have ONLY used donnyfl and huggetts. Anyway, i had opportunity to use donnyfl sumo in .22 and donnyfl shogun in .25 as well as the huggett standard in .22 and .25 all are quite close in effectiveness. i would give huggett a slight advantage in performance, they also have a slimmer profile, which can be desireable. HOWEVER huggetts run on average $70-$100 more than the donnyfl. as wanting to root for the local, would love to see donnyfl out perform the "british legend" but he has a big challenge, COMMENTS?

May not be the right standard to judge by but I like the style of the Huggets better. I have Donny's stuff too. Hard for me to compare beyond aesthetics.

As for price, I've never purchased a hugget new from a retail perspective anyway, well not till a few days ago. All very comparable, even the new one. (but I do have 5 now).

Still, Donny's stuff is top notch, no question. Don't want to take ANYTHING away from his mods. And I have a whole host of his fittings and adapters. He's also helped me on several things. If want to deal with the manufacturer, its him...

like deke his service is aaaa plus order one day usually ships same day . iv owned both and the hugget is also a nice looking piece but really love so many options he has to offer. Donny is a great guy also as you can talk directly to him on what your looking for out of your air gun. I also like buying from local smaller guy trying to support his family and the air gun community 

And then there are the new moderators coming on the market. Trident and 0db. Both new, one I think is from Daystate/Brocock (the Trident seen on a lot of the Wolf Pack RWs at EBR) and the Zero DB ones that were given away at the Saturday dinner. Both very modern looking and slim like the Huggetts. I won one of the 0db ones in .30 cal., gave it to my shooting buddy Nick (@socaloldman) for his .22 FX Streamline and it makes it just about silent. Looks very much like a Huggett.

I've never had the chance to try a Donnyfl, but I've tried every Huggett there is. Assuming that the statement made by the OP holds true and they're very similar in performance, I still have never found a silencer that actually outperforms a Weihrauch?! I have one as a sort of benchmark to test others against, and nothing locally made (we have some very good silencer makers here in SA) or from Huggett has ever beaten the old HW either subjectively or in dB measurements. Now they're neither the fattest/biggest volume or the most advanced design out there, so I have no idea what black magic went into them. Of course I'm not talking big bore here, but that said the huggett magna did not outperform the HW on my 30fpe fx crown or my 35fpe red wolf. Given conventional wisdom of volume etc, it really should have shown some advantage.

I generally use other silencers for the reasons others have mentioned - supporting local craftsmen, local service, perceived better build quality and often looks on a certain gun (I hate a tapered silencer that ends up skinnier than the shroud it's attached to, and the HW always ends up looking like that) while providing 'enough' sound suppression. Just find it incredibly strange how far removed airgun silencers and logic/science seem to be sometimes. Makes buying very tough at times! Can only imagine how irritating it must be to design these things and find performance not quite what you hoped and not having any idea why!

I've never had the chance to try a Donnyfl, but I've tried every Huggett there is. Assuming that the statement made by the OP holds true and they're very similar in performance, I still have never found a silencer that actually outperforms a Weihrauch?! I have one as a sort of benchmark to test others against, and nothing locally made (we have some very good silencer makers here in SA) or from Huggett has ever beaten the old HW either subjectively or in dB measurements. Now they're neither the fattest/biggest volume or the most advanced design out there, so I have no idea what black magic went into them. Of course I'm not talking big bore here, but that said the huggett magna did not outperform the HW on my 30fpe fx crown or my 35fpe red wolf. Given conventional wisdom of volume etc, it really should have shown some advantage.

I generally use other silencers for the reasons others have mentioned - supporting local craftsmen, local service, perceived better build quality and often looks on a certain gun (I hate a tapered silencer that ends up skinnier than the shroud it's attached to, and the HW always ends up looking like that) while providing 'enough' sound suppression. Just find it incredibly strange how far removed airgun silencers and logic/science seem to be sometimes. Makes buying very tough at times! Can only imagine how irritating it must be to design these things and find performance not quite what you hoped and not having any idea why!

You have got to try the Emperor.

CA

Closest DonnyFL moderator to the Huggett Snipe (formerly called Universal) is Donny's Koi.

Here's a comparison of the two:

Huggett Snipe $199. 1.22” x 6.73” 7.9 ci 4.6 oz.

DonnyFL Koi $145. 1.22” x 7” 8.2 ci 4.7 oz.

My sense is that it may be difficult to hear a difference between them?

I have a Tatsu and a Shogun. The build quality and finish is very good!

And, I have that Huggett, which is a very good moderator as well! But if I were to replace the Huggett with something of the same size, I'd buy a Koi, save a bit of cash, and support a USA small-business man/family.

Donny's product is excellent, he offers a very wide range of sizes, his service is exceptional, he runs a "tight-ship" small business in the USA, shipping is REALLY quick, and his pricing is fair and reasonable. That's a LOT of good stuff right there! I'd say that DonnyFL is tough to beat!

centercut makes a serious point about new mods hitting the market. the trident and zero DB. AOA has tridents, don't know where to find zero DB. probably there as well. will these new ones be better than huggett or donnyfl? only time will tell. as for customer service, donnyfl is exceptional , no question, and yes i AM rooting for the local. i was just searching for comments in regards to the merits of the competing products. for example, let's just say i find huggett slightly outperformes donnyfl, but their company shipping, customer support, and cost are negatives compared to donnyfl. donnyfl would get my business, even if huggett is slightly better IMO. the question was not about total service, which is important. 

It was simply reduced to the mods performance only. a seperate thread pertaining to best overall bang, or lack of, for the buck in mods would take in all the great points made so far.

You have got to try the Emperor.

CA

Silencers are all about volume. A silencer 2" x 10" can will definitely be quiet, but do you want something like that hanging off your gun?

I have used many of DonnFL's silencers, from medium to X-large. The weight is insignificant. "Looks" disappear when you are looking through a scope. What you don't want to see is a sheriff's squad car parking in your front yard, or pulling up behind your car in your favorite rural shooting site. Moderators are meant to be functional, not beautiful.

"People" are the problem. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you! I've always said "Unseen" and "Silent" are two excellent friends to take along when shooting.

DonnyFL equipment ALWAYS goes shooting with me, whether it's in my back yard, or on wooded rural land. When I'm done, I unscrew it and put it away. My gun then changes from beautiful and functionally silent, back to just plain damn good looking! (Not unlike myself...)