Western Airguns The mystery of the Sidewinder .25

If I shoot to targets at 50 or 88 yards, my Sidewinder .25 if not as accurate as my FX Panthera.... Or at least I can control the better the Panthera.

If I go out and shoot at long distance, the Sidewinder is extremely accurate. I just took two birds at 150 yards, easily.

So, the problem when shooting to paper targets is not a lack of accuracy, it should be something I am doing in a wrong way..... But I have not identify that yet.

Last edited:
If I shoot to targets at 50 or 88 yards, my Sidewinder .25 if not as accurate as my FX Panthera.... Or at least I can control the better the Panthera.

If I go out and shoot at long distance, the Sidewinder is extremely accurate. I just took two birds at 150 yards, easily.

So, the problem when shooting to papaer targets is not a lack of accuracy,mit should be something I am doing in a wrong way..... But I have not identify that yet.
Could it be target fixation? Or possibly the way you are shooting either gun?

So, the problem when shooting to paper targets is not a lack of accuracy, it should be something I am doing in a wrong way..... But I have not identify that yet.
There's several things that can be going on here. I know in archery its not uncommon for people to be better at 40yd shots then 20yd. This happens for two reasons primarily; less practice at given ranges due to deeming them less important or less time aiming properly due to underestimating the challenge of a close range shot. The other situation that's common with slug platforms vs pellet is that they are just less accurate at closer distances usually being shot faster but retaining more stability at distance and in wind. Pellets like 920 fps roughly as a max but many slugs shoot fine at 950-1000+fps. Pellets fall apart at 100+yds typically but slugs start to shine about there and even out.

Clayton Horn
Precision Sport Airguns

Reactions: Emu