The Most Off-Putting Ad in the Classifieds?

"A rule broken is no rule at all." ;)

"I've got nothing so I'll play with words"

A reply like that in response to a well thought out post is as annoying as the idiots who fail to read a descriptive ad and ask all the questions answered or make an offer when it says firm.

I'm glad you're not able to be a customer of mine and make it to a point of meeting me in person for negotiation when I put clearly there is to be no negotiation, humiliation would follow.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
"I've got nothing so I'll play with words"

A reply like that in response to a well thought out post is as annoying as the idiots who fail to read a descriptive ad and ask all the questions answered or make an offer when it says firm.

I'm glad you're not able to be a customer of mine and make it to a point of meeting me in person for negotiation when I put clearly there is to be no negotiation, humiliation would follow.

That sounds fun. How about you pay shipping? :D

If you put yourself in their shoes (I know, I know, that’s hard), that person is looking for used stuff because can’t quite afford a new one and it’s a hobby or none necessity so a long shot low ball offer in case that might work out. If the seller says no then that’s end of that. What if the item is 100 dollars and all that person can afford is 50 dollars so decided to make a Hail Mary low ball offer, that doesn’t make that person a bad person. If that person really wants it and have the money then that person will come back with a good enough offer.

AFAIK, we are all just wasting idle time here on the internet right?!?!?

If you put yourself in their shoes (I know, I know, that’s hard), that person is looking for used stuff because can’t quite afford a new one and it’s a hobby or none necessity so a long shot low ball offer in case that might work out. If the seller says no then that’s end of that. What if the item is 100 dollars and all that person can afford is 50 dollars so decided to make a Hail Mary low ball offer, that doesn’t make that person a bad person. If that person really wants it and have the money then that person will come back with a good enough offer.

AFAIK, we are all just wasting idle time here on the internet right?!?!?
Why is it bad for the seller to say up front "No I wont except any offer other than my listed price" If the potential buyer doesnt have the money to pay asking price or just hoping the seller needs money and can haggle them down the seller saves both of them time by saying up front they wont except offers. If the buyer likes to haggle or needs to stay under a certain number then move to the next ad theres plenty coming up for sale on a weekly basis if not every other day.

I read the ad this thread is referencing before this thread was created. My first thought was this guy probably wont sell this or very fast anyway. I dont remember any rude comments in the post but in my opinion it was listed a little high and thats why I thought it might sit since he was clear about what he wanted for it. If a seller being completely clear up front bothers potential buyers they should just move on. Have we as a society become so soft that we are going to go on a tirade about a seller saying "I want this much money for my item and I wont take anything less so dont bother me with low offers". Its not like the ad said I wont sell to this religious group or this ethnic group or this gender.

Have we as a society become so soft that we are going to go on a tirade about a seller saying "I want this much money for my item and I wont take anything less so dont bother me with low offers". Its not like the ad said I wont sell to this religious group or this ethnic group or this gender.

Yes. Its clear within this thread.

Like I said above

I am trying to figure out why it is so wrong as a seller to get irritated when your ad (that you put time (<which is priceless and cannot be replaced) and effort into) is not read and respected? People don't learn lessons with butterflies and rainbows my friends.

I alway make my selling requirements known in my initial post. I state how shipping is to be handled, I give price and say “shipped” or “buyer pays shipping”. And “not interested in trades”. And how payment is to be handled. I advise that any payment fees or extraneous costs are on the buyer. The biggest problem I encounter when selling via paypal is getting the buyer to be sure they use friends and family to avoid the transaction charge and percentage fee. If they neglect to do that it’s a dozen PM’s back and forth to finally get all my money, the buyer gets pissed that they screwed up, sometimes a sale can get cancelled, and then trying to get their money back is like pulling teeth, or worse.
I really hate the whole process, but I’m not rich enough to put in a corner in the basement, I’m not a collector, what I have, I use.
Typically the price I ask is very fair, I want to sell my item, so I price it so that I’m pretty confident it will. I always have the option to lower the price at my discretion. I try to be realistic on what it is worth and what it will bring.
Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Why is it bad for the seller to say up front "No I wont except any offer other than my listed price" If the potential buyer doesnt have the money to pay asking price or just hoping the seller needs money and can haggle them down the seller saves both of them time by saying up front they wont except offers. If the buyer likes to haggle or needs to stay under a certain number then move to the next ad theres plenty coming up for sale on a weekly basis if not every other day.
I read the ad this thread is referencing before this thread was created. My first thought was this guy probably wont sell this or very fast anyway. I dont remember any rude comments in the post but in my opinion it was listed a little high and thats why I thought it might sit since he was clear about what he wanted for it. If a seller being completely clear up front bothers potential buyers they should just move on. Have we as a society become so soft that we are going to go on a tirade about a seller saying "I want this much money for my item and I wont take anything less so dont bother me with low offers". Its not like the ad said I wont sell to this religious group or this ethnic group or this gender.

Nope, nothing is wrong with saying no up front! Not sure how you got that from my post but nope, it’s their add and that that’s quite honest and up front. All I am saying is there is NOTHING WRONG with EITHER side. Why people get so worked up on either/both the add saying no lowballed and someone who may it have the money just giving it a go with lowball offer is just…..funny.

On the same token of my last post if you put yourself in the seller’s shoes who have got tired of tons of lowball offers it’s not hard to see why the seller would just want to get the point across of don’t sent lowball offers.

Thanks to internet many people are displaying in the center of universe and everyone have to be like me thinking.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Firewalker and LDP
Nope, nothing is wrong with saying no up front! Not sure how you got that from my post but nope, it’s their add and that that’s quite honest and up front. All I am saying is there is NOTHING WRONG with EITHER side. Why people get so worked up on either/both the add saying no lowballed and someone who may it have the money just giving it a go with lowball offer is just…..funny.

On the same token of my last post if you put yourself in the seller’s shoes who have got tired of tons of lowball offers it’s not hard to see why the seller would just want to get the point across of don’t sent lowball offers.

Thanks to internet many people are displaying in the center of universe and everyone have to be like me thinking.
I didnt intend to make it sound like you thought it was bad. I wanted to use your example about someone who cant pay the asking price trying to get the seller to drop the price. Theres nothing wrong with haggling whether you can afford the asking price or not. I always ask if someone can drop the price unless already explained in the post as being firm or no low ballers. If its stated in the ad firm or no low ballers then people should move along and stating that in the ad doesnt make the seller bad either. If the buyer ignores the sellers info and still tries to get the price dropped or complains that the seller wants x amount of money for their product then the buyer is in the wrong. The item/ items are worth what someone is willing to pay and the seller doesnt have any obligation to accommodate the buyers request to lower the price. The op is making a bunch of noise over something that shouldnt concern him and he says he sees a wrong and wants to right it. The op would be putting himself into the same category of being in the wrong by calling out a seller who stated things clearly to avoid hassles, wasted time and confusion. Like I already said I would back the op if the ad included stipulations about selling to someone based on gender, ethnicity, religion or something along those lines but I dont believe any verbiage like that was ever in that ad.

Back to square one, I see both sides. I see both positive and negatives of both. I am not going to say what I’m about to comment are all my ideas and thoughts regarding this, it’s actually a gathering of tid bit comments from this entire thread so far.
On the seller-
+’s: he was to the point, all information given, and the rules of the sale spelled out. If I was the buyer and had the cash, I would have no further questions except maybe on the gun itself.
If I was the buyer and short on the cash, I know not to waste his time
-‘s: None, really. I can tell by the words chosen he’s either been burned, begged to death, or wasted a lot of his own time on this earth by tire kicking pieces of poop. He’s burnt out, I get it

Now onto the buyer-
+’s: none and I say that as the rules of the sale were specified clearly, just not in good taste for some.
-‘s: if he did contact the guy and inquired about wether the price was fixed or negotiable, he’s either got big kahoonas, he’s stubborn/doesn’t care and will push the buttons, or ignorant as to what the seller specified. If he didn’t contact the guy and is just complaining about rules set forth, well, I’m going to steal the suggestions already offered, and say just walk away, get more cash to meet the buyers price, move on. Simple stuff

I may be the bionic man with a bolted up spine, and unable to do a lot anymore, but one thing I’ve always had is a sharp @$$ memory. About two, maybe three years ago a seller here was selling his top tier gun(s), and at the end of the description he, just like the seller on this topic, specified rules. Some of the words chosen- “ I reserve the right to chose who I want to do business with and if I don’t feel comfortable I have the right to end all communications towards the transaction…” it’s not verbatim but dang close.
That seller, years ago, was complained about also, and I swear that complaint thread mirrors this one to a tee. I’m going to stop here but someone’s brain should be spinning right about now.

I truly am surprised this topic of discussion has made it past page 1, especially when there’s so much other fun airgun stuff to talk about. So how about we end it with my post here and let this slowly disappear into the archives?

Last edited:
I'd like to conduct a poll. Please vote for your choice of the most offensive sales ad you've ever viewed in this forum's classified section.
I have a candidate in mind -- I just read it this morning. The ad comes with a disclaimer of: "Please Read Carefully".
I would never, ever consider
contacting any person who wrote that in an ad.
Maybe the member will read this and edit the listing. Thus, increasing the
likelihood of making a sale.
No particular add, just those that say "Rare", "Hard to find" or "Collector Item". If I'm interested in it and it's rare, hard to find or a collector item, I already know it is and don't need to be told. And if I don't know then I am not interested enough to pay a "rare", "hard to find" or "collector item" price. To me, describing an item in those terms means the seller is looking for someone with deep pockets and I usually don't read any further unless I really, REALLY want the item.

Last edited:
lol, while I just saw this ad bumped it got me wondering why there are sooo many posts in the classifieds of "never been shot", from moderators to $3600 rifles (talk about poor financial decisions).
Are these things stolen? or... I really dont even know how someone could buy an expensive item and sell it at a 30% loss. Maybe regret it and return it, or try it and not like it, but to buy something and never once try it???
This isnt even directed at the post that this thread seems to be about, because there are a bunch of never shot/used/installed items in the classified, or is this like most other forum classifieds where nEvEr ShOt means used for a summer as a hammer to re-shingle a roof and its beat to 💩?