🤔 The Meaning of "FX" == For Xareful shooters only... 🤔

I'm an FX owner, and NEVER have the poi problems with either. My Royale 500 & Boss are based on the simplest, most accurate & reliable platform FX has probably ever made. They work & work beautifully well first time EVERY time. That's why I've never had had any desire for the newer, more complicated bells & whistles type guns. I hunt, not paper punch (other than sighting in). Feel bad for guys that spend huge $ on guns & then have mostly complaints about them. I bought these platforms after MUCH research & the things I found out where OVERWHELMINGLY positive. No need to warn new buyers about particular brands or guns, just warn them to do EXTENSIVE research. 

The Meaning of "FX" == For Xareful shooters only… 

Could be. I am a careful shooter and I have 3 FX guns. I haven’t had any POI problems with any of them. I only recently bought a barrel band for my Streamline “just because”. It Is a lot of barrel hanging out there so it seems like a cheap insurance to help prevent any problems by adding the barrel band. I’m not dragging my rifles through the woods or driving down bumpy roads with the gun sloshing around in the bed of my truck either. I work hard for my money and I want to take care of my stuff so I handle them carefully. I keep them in a cabinet when not in use and I bring them out to shoot in my yard when I have time. So far so good!

It would be nice if air rifle makers made PCPs to be knocked around some without hurting their performance. A true “truck gun” in the pcp world is always a good thing. Maybe makers will start designing PCPs to be more rugged. Let’s start by letting them know that that’s what we want/need.

I'm not sure there are many "truck guns" in the air rifle world. However, one critical area that could be substantially improved is the manner in which the barrel attaches to the receiver, which is the central issue that many folks are citing in regard to the FX liner system. Frankly, from the perspective of durable, dependable operation, it is a pretty darn awful design. But, it sells, because, along with the power adjustments, it gives people a bunch of stuff with which to tinker. And, let's face it, we are a gang of tinkerers if ever there was one! A system that includes a liner, sleeve, adjustable shroud, a weakly attached air stripper, and usually a suppressor hanging off the front offering geometrical leverage power, all combines into a rifle that is, well, whatever the opposite of a "truck gun" might be called. I have an old FX Royale 400, and its solid barrel design is the closest thing to robust that FX offers (along with the Royale 500 and Boss, which share the design). I have a RAW HM1000, and a solid rifle it is, but too long to be fiddling with in a truck, or carrying in the woods. My Taipan Veteran would be the one with which I would chance a road trip, or banging through the woods. Its barrel screws into the receiver as a proper barrel should, and further held solid by the scope mounting rail that is held fast by 12 large screws. The only thing fragile about it is the trigger linkage rod, but it's so deeply protected by the stock, I think the only thing that compromise its "truck gun" competence would be if the truck ran over it. 

If one thinks about it there are $200 firearms with sturdier barrel fastening methods and steel receivers. 

The receiver on my Mac1 USFT PCP is thicker than any firearm I own, though it's aluminium. 

It's only the mentality of building frailty into PCP's that needs to change. Imo, it's better to sacrifice lightness for a little more weight by having a steel receiver and a superior way of fastening the barrel. Also lose the flimsy shrouds, liners, and barrel bands. 

Btw' the worst shifting I've had was with the barrel band in my steyr lg100. Hard to describe but it's part of the receiver about a foot down the barrel. Once free floated the poi shifts were gone. 

I was amazed coming into the airgun world the design decisions these manufacturers were making. Completely counter to what the powder burner world does, and often to the detriment of precision.

We've known each other for years now on that other forum and I think both of us are pretty familiar with most of the firearm rifle receiver designs and the various ways of barrel attachment. A shouldered barrel that's torqued to 80+fp like you mentioned is probably the most trouble free way to go but I think other ways would work 99% as well for AG's. A few that come to mind are #1, the way Accuracy International/AI does theirs in the AT. It's fast and easy to remove a barrel and replace with another in minutes and it's a solid way of fastening it. The other one is similar and it's the Desert Tech way of fastening a barrel. 

The PCP receivers should have a longer and thicker area to support the barrel and be made more rigid in general. 

I've never liked that most PCP's attach to the stock with one screw!!!!!! Two screws holding the receiver to the stock keeps the action from moving around in the stock less and pillars with glass bedding would help too.

Heck on a PCP rifle the barrel doesn't necessarily need to be threaded because the recoil and pressure is so low, it just needs a solid and strong way to be held by the receiver and a way to key it to the same location. 

The barrels, they could stand to be a little thicker. If we look at the how thick a cheap 22rf barrel sporter barrel is it's usually much thicker - more rigid. It's also very rare to see great quality barrels in the PCP world. It would be awesome to see Bartlein, Krieger, and other higher end barrels as a purchase option!

I like the way the FX Impact is designed in respect to it's mid length cocking lever, that's the main reason I bought it as well as the high capacity mag. I absolutely hate that stupid finger knob holding the barrel, lol, what were they thinking???!!! It's a cool rifle in a lot of ways but a head scratcher in other ways. 

My old FX400 is a pretty solid PCP. No barrel bands or shrouds, I like it for the most part.

My USFT is a crazy overbuilt and simple rifle, lacking a reg to fail, and is probably the pinnacle of reliability in the PCP world.

If one thinks about it there are $200 firearms with sturdier barrel fastening methods and steel receivers. 

The receiver on my Mac1 USFT PCP is thicker than any firearm I own, though it's aluminium. 

It's only the mentality of building frailty into PCP's that needs to change. Imo, it's better to sacrifice lightness for a little more weight by having a steel receiver and a superior way of fastening the barrel. Also lose the flimsy shrouds, liners, and barrel bands. 

Btw' the worst shifting I've had was with the barrel band in my steyr lg100. Hard to describe but it's part of the receiver about a foot down the barrel. Once free floated the poi shifts were gone. 

No question, steel receiver takes care of shifting. My CRX-ST never changes poi but it weighs over 16#s. Uj

Yep but it's a dedicated FT rifle and that extra weight helps steady the rifle in sitting position. Might be a tad heavy for offhand but...

Anyway if Daystate did the form factor of the Regal in steel and trimmed weight wherever they could without compromising strength it could way much less.

I'm not sure there are many "truck guns" in the air rifle world. [...]

My Taipan Veteran would be the one [...] — it's so deeply protected by the stock, I think the only thing that compromise its "truck gun" competence would be if the truck ran over it.

Well, you were asking for it — a "truck gun." Would a "Land Cruiser gun" be OK? 😊

And you were asking for it again — "if the truck ran over it." 😄 

🔶 Here's the link to a video where Ed himself, with his Land Cruiser, demonstrates the ultimate meaning of "truck gun." 

Enjoy.... I'm still trying to get my mouth closed after the terminal jaw dropping I suffered from watching it.

Matthias

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PHsc_SKlg

I had a leshiy, Great gun but all of my (4) fx rifles will out shoot it. FX makes fine guns with smooth cocking, great triggers and extreme accuracy. most problems FX airguns have is user error (IMO). I keep my guns leaning on their barrels in a safe and when I pull them out by the barrel and shoot them the POI hasn't shifted from the last shooting session (excluding weather conditions). I also own a couple other brands but dont want to comment as to indicate they are lesser guns. I also own a baseball bat for when I feel like knocking things around.

Also a RAW HM1000X is tough rugged built like a tank. I am a Daystate fanboy but own at least five times as many FXs than Daystates which I wouldn't classify as rugged but I would trust the high end Daystates to guarantee shot placement reliably way more than my newer high end FXs. YO!

You need to take a group picture of all your air rifles and post it for us.

TO whomever indicated my problem was regulaor creep I just got the gun back from FX USA to address that problem and of course POI problems. Nothing changed and now it lost 10 bar overnight. Guess what?? I just got a shipping label from FX and it's boxed and ready to return on Monday. Any bets about this 'repair.'

Maybe you should look at a refund if possible?

Also a RAW HM1000X is tough rugged built like a tank. I am a Daystate fanboy but own at least five times as many FXs than Daystates which I wouldn't classify as rugged but I would trust the high end Daystates to guarantee shot placement reliably way more than my newer high end FXs. YO!

You need to take a group picture of all your air rifles and post it for us.

Yes, please!