The Machine Shop - Airgunsmithing, Modification, Fabrication, Manufacturing of Airgun Parts and Accessories

This thread was inspired by @heavy-impact ’s request to start a “machine shop” forum or sub-forum as seen below

I’d like to begin this thread compiling existing AGN threads dealing with machining discussions, tips, suggestions, videos, and tutorials related to airguns and airgun shooting sports. I’ll be adding to this list as I take time to do so. If you see something similar or relative to the theme of thread please post a link. This a a community thread let’s make it a point to keep it on track.

Last edited:
Given the rise of 3D printing this thread/sub-forum may need to incorporate 3D printing posts too…

-Marty
@MartyMcFly I thought about that. I would think that 3D printing would fall under its own discipline/sub-forum as it seems to rely heavily upon computers, apps, software, etc. and therein lies a critical divergence. Although the design aspect seems similar across both methods of manufacture.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Some discussion on crowning, cutting a leade (including discussion of straight and tapered reamers), etc.

Maybe we could start our own forum since requests fall on deaf ears here.
Sure... Starting one is EASY.
Settingup the software... not hard, just a lot of stuff to name, fill in, access etc etc etc . Just grind thru it.....

Maintaining and runnig it day to day, is a time commitment FEW understand if they havent done it.........

Already have an Air Gun friendly place.
Machine Shop
It's just not very user friendly, same as here. I'd like to have a forum where guys can be guys without worrying about offending a sponsor or any other nonsense. There would still be rules like no discussion of illegal things and no strong political or religious discussion but at the same time not be heavy handed or overbearing.

Sure... Starting one is EASY.
Settingup the software... not hard, just a lot of stuff to name, fill in, access etc etc etc . Just grind thru it.....

Maintaining and runnig it day to day, is a time commitment FEW understand if they havent done it.........
I've done it, still do it and it's not bad, I just don't want to be tied to it alone. I'm still thinking it over.

@MartyMcFly I thought about that. I would think that 3D printing would fall under its own discipline/sub-forum as it seems to rely heavily upon computers, apps, software, etc. and therein lies a critical divergence. Although the design aspect seems similar across both methods of manufacture.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Yea, I see where you’re coming from. Maybe the better option is to have a “DIY Manufacturing” parent thread with sub-threads for lathes, 3D printing and CNC. That said, I think that in terms of software and complexity the two disciplines are converging. The Chinese lathe I got a few years ago has plenty of digital enhancements to veer off the old school path and the newest home CNC machines (i.e Coast Runner) and mills are getting more advanced each day.

-Marty

Reactions: Ezana4CE
My opinion is that from an airgun forum point of view, the diy (making your own parts not assembling sourced parts) would cover all of it. 3D , machine (manual and cnc), hammer and file, etc.

To narrow it down simply narrows the ‘need for’. We have to admit, creators of parts are a minority here.

Would it be nice to have dedicated areas, sure, I would like that. But it’s not my sandbox….(although I am a product being sold here…).

Dave

My opinion is that from an airgun forum point of view, the diy (making your own parts not assembling sourced parts) would cover all of it. 3D , machine (manual and cnc), hammer and file, etc.

To narrow it down simply narrows the ‘need for’. We have to admit, creators of parts are a minority here.

Would it be nice to have dedicated areas, sure, I would like that. But it’s not my sandbox….(although I am a product being sold here…).

Dave
But if we follow that logic this forum would only have one section covering all topics. Machining is it's own discipline just like benchrest. We don't want to wade through everything looking for specific information. 3d printing does not belong in machining and machining does not belong in DIY. It need to be more like a library. The less we mix topics the less people go off topic and derail the thread.

But if we follow that logic this forum would only have one section covering all topics. Machining is it's own discipline just like benchrest. We don't want to wade through everything looking for specific information. 3d printing does not belong in machining and machining does not belong in DIY. It need to be more like a library. The less we mix topics the less people go off topic and derail the thread.
I agree with this and understand it completely. That would suit me personally just fine. I was trying to look at it from an airgun forum perspective.

Dave

Reactions: heavy-impact
Yea, I see where you’re coming from. Maybe the better option is to have a “DIY Manufacturing” parent thread with sub-threads for lathes, 3D printing and CNC. That said, I think that in terms of software and complexity the two disciplines are converging. The Chinese lathe I got a few years ago has plenty of digital enhancements to veer off the old school path and the newest home CNC machines (i.e Coast Runner) and mills are getting more advanced each day.

-Marty
@MartyMcFly When I read CNC threads and posts, I can see the areas of overlap between that sort of designing and machining and 3D printing clearly. A lot of it seems automated. I didn’t see that so much with lathes (I don’t know much about mills). Honestly I think that 3D printing needs its own space due to the differences in manufacturing a finished product, material differences, and tolerances. If one could make the same products on a lathe, mill, and a 3D printer, then sure why not lump them together? Think of slug/pellet molds or airgun barrels.

Reactions: heavy-impact